Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Overused Word That I Hate
One Overused Word That I Hate
Blessed.  "Have a blessed day."  "Bless you."  "I am so blessed."  "This is such a blessing." "What a blessing."  Blah, blah, blah, yada-yada-yada.  I am so sick of hearing it!!  Every Censored day, from strangers, on TV, on newscasts.....AHHHHRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!   Banging Head On Desk
RE: One Overused Word That I Hate
I hoped you weren't  going to say "fuck."

Yeah..."blessed" makes the "blesser" sound like an asshole.
One can see that you really do live in the Bible belt.  Those of us who live in the relatively civilized parts of the country do not hear that particular bit of bullshit very often.  Except when someone sneezes, and some fool says "bless you" instead of "Gesundheit," which is what more civilized people say.  (For those who need it, "Gesundheit" is simply wishing someone good health.)

And yes, it is irritating when someone "blesses" one.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 24, 2015 at 8:59 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: One can see that you really do live in the Bible belt.  Those of us who live in the relatively civilized parts of the country do not hear that particular bit of bullshit very often.  Except when someone sneezes, and some fool says "bless you" instead of "Gesundheit," which is want more civilized people say.  (For those who need it, "Gesundheit" is simply wishing someone good health.)

And yes, it is irritating when someone "blesses" one.

I have been hearing it from Christians who work at fast food joints.  The Hardees in my town is the worst.  Heard it from 3 different people who work there.  It is as if the chain may be encouraging it.  I do not eat there or go by their drive-thru anymore, have not in months except once, and they still say it.

(May 24, 2015 at 8:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I hoped you weren't  going to say "fuck."

Yeah..."blessed" makes the "blesser" sound like an asshole.

That is my favorite four letter word.  Smile
(May 24, 2015 at 8:49 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: Blessed.  "Have a blessed day."  "Bless you."  "I am so blessed."  "This is such a blessing." "What a blessing."  Blah, blah, blah, yada-yada-yada.  I am so sick of hearing it!!  Every Censored day, from strangers, on TV, on newscasts.....AHHHHRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!   Banging Head On Desk

I hear it in NC a lot also. Even people who aren't overly religious sometimes say it. When I was  a kid, I don't remember anyone saying it. Maybe people are trying to be religious without mentioning god or Jesus?
(May 24, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Nope Wrote:
(May 24, 2015 at 8:49 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: Blessed.  "Have a blessed day."  "Bless you."  "I am so blessed."  "This is such a blessing." "What a blessing."  Blah, blah, blah, yada-yada-yada.  I am so sick of hearing it!!  Every Censored day, from strangers, on TV, on newscasts.....AHHHHRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!   Banging Head On Desk

I hear it in NC a lot also. Even people who aren't overly religious sometimes say it. When I was  a kid, I don't remember anyone saying it. Maybe people are trying to be religious without mentioning god or Jesus?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are solidly in the Bible Belt:

[Image: BibleBelt.png]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 24, 2015 at 9:23 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(May 24, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Nope Wrote: I hear it in NC a lot also. Even people who aren't overly religious sometimes say it. When I was  a kid, I don't remember anyone saying it. Maybe people are trying to be religious without mentioning god or Jesus?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are solidly in the Bible Belt:

[Image: BibleBelt.png]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

The churches on every corner and the billboards telling me that Jesus Saves probably should have given me a clue.
After becoming an atheist, I've found it pretty hard to get rid of the little artifacts like "bless you", or in helpless but light situations saying "I was just praying I wasn't late to work" or whatever. Thing is, those little phrases aren't even used in any real religious manner in my parts, but I am more aware of them now.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
So when you sneeze, we can use our atheist fallback position...
Namely:  DIE YOU BASTARD
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Well BLESS YOU.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  hate WinterHold 11 1428 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10876 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Delicious tasty word Salad. Mystic 41 7116 January 27, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3615 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25693 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1626 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  The God Word Complidudaaldo 21 2838 July 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Sheed1980
  Why They Hate Us brewer 1 818 June 6, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4160 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU