Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope: Sometimes Husband-and-Wife Splits Become 'Morally Necessary'
Pope: Sometimes Husband-and-Wife Splits Become 'Morally Necessary'
Quote:“There are cases in which separation is inevitable. Sometimes it can become even morally necessary, precisely when it comes to subtracting the weaker spouse, or small children, from more serious injuries caused by arrogance and violence, by humiliation and exploitation ... and by indifference,” the pope said, at his weekly general audience.

http://jezebel.com/pope-sometimes-husban...1713896320

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Pope: Sometimes Husband-and-Wife Splits Become 'Morally Necessary'
He's not saying anything new. Civil divorce is allowed with the permission of the bishop in cases of abuse. Remarriage without an anullment (decree from the Catholic Chirch saying there was never a marriage in the first place) is whats banned.

You can leave if the husband beats you, you're just forbidden to date ever again.
Seriously, anytime I read anything about Christianity, and especially Catholicism these days (with our two new outspoken Catholics), my reaction is "ew".
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Yes, wanted to post that too, but couldn't find an english article on it.

It's his usual shtick of presenting a more reasonable face whilst not changing one iota of dogma. But, as I said before when he said something reasonable. If it helps some catholics in getting less narrow minded, I'm all for it. It's probably also him reacting to the ever increasing loss of fan base in the first world.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Pope Francis: telling Catholics what the rest of us figured out long ago since 2013.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
When you're the leader of a backwards, bigoted hateful cult, anything more progressive than 'the eart isn't actually flat' is seen as fucking revolutionary.
(June 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm)Metis Wrote: He's not saying anything new. Civil divorce is allowed with the permission of the bishop in cases of abuse. Remarriage without an anullment (decree from the Catholic Chirch saying there was never a marriage in the first place) is whats banned.

You can leave if the husband beats you, you're just forbidden to date ever again.

(June 25, 2015 at 3:57 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: When you're the leader of a backwards, bigoted hateful cult, anything more progressive than 'the eart isn't actually flat' is seen as fucking revolutionary.

Still imposing brutal backwardness on a captive audience of the weak minded and gullible, but now also offering slightly less backward, backwardness for the slightly less weak minded or gullible.
So... He goes into a board meeting with his PR team, they decide how to best balance old obviously bollocks doctrine with some illusion of progression...

Then he goes to speak to God, who happens to agree with every point. Then, it's official?

Well I'm just guessing here.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 25, 2015 at 4:22 pm)robvalue Wrote: So... He goes into a board meeting with his PR team, they decide how to best balance old obviously bollocks doctrine with some illusion of progression...

Then he goes to speak to God, who happens to agree with every point. Then, it's official?

Well I'm just guessing here.

Speaks to god is a euphemism, of course.  He's really just in the back playing some Halo to pwn some bitches.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
I'm glad the Pope has given battered wives permission to flee their abusive husbands.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16095 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1493 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1277 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 500 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3315 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope? Fake Messiah 26 1317 March 13, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2117 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2232 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3545 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9701 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm