Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a brilliant description of growing up fundamentalist female
a brilliant description of growing up fundamentalist female
Oh, my AF friends . . . I just read a great post by Darcy Anne about the effects of religious brainwashing (aka emotional abuse) growing up fundie and female.  It's called "Not a Nice Story".  You can find the original here: http://darcysheartstirrings.blogspot.co....story.html

I'll post it in it's entirety here.  I wrote to Darcy and told her that she told my story and thanked her for it.

And thank YOU, my AF friends, for letting me tell my story and helping my ongoing atheist education!
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: a brilliant description of growing up fundamentalist female
Boys have it just as bad though. Being told that masturbation is a sin despite it being natural for adolescent males to do it several times a day.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
I cannot begin to imagine what it means to grow up in a fundie household. Thankfully I didn't have to go through that experience.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
My own mother married four times. Each time, depending on who she was married to, depended on what she considered herself. My father was a catholic, so I was christened at birth. Later, when I was four she married a methodist. So I was baptized. When I was ten, she married another catholic, so I was put in catholic school for three years. When I was 14, she left him and found the guy she's now married to. They got married when I was 20. Neither go to church on a regular basis. I don't even know if my stepdad believes in a god. Haven't talked to any of them for nearly six years now.

My mother liked to switch up the religious bs part of my childhood a lot. So as an adult, until my eyes got opened, I searched for the right church but never fit in anywhere. I tried the AOG churches, a Moravian church, a pentecostal church and a non-denominational mega church. Glad I broke free of all that bullshit.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
That's some fucked up shit Fuzz.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: That's some fucked up shit Fuzz.

Tell me about it mh.  What's worse . . . is children accept it completely.  It usually takes a serious life-conflict of some sort to shake that brainwashing lose, and I think that most folks get to teenage years at least before they even dare to question - anything.  Darcy wrote a really good description.   It's important to let folks know that this type of upbringing exists all over the world.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(March 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 6:33 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: That's some fucked up shit Fuzz.

Tell me about it mh.  What's worse . . . is children accept it completely.  It usually takes a serious life-conflict of some sort to shake that brainwashing lose, and I think that most folks get to teenage years at least before they even dare to question - anything.  Darcy wrote a really good description.   It's important to let folks know that this type of upbringing exists all over the world.

Do you know of any females that have an "well if I'm evil and are going to hell no matter what I might as well live it and have fun"? I've known some preachers daughters that seem to have taken this route. They were not fundie preachers though.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 3, 2016 at 8:59 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(March 3, 2016 at 8:44 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Tell me about it mh.  What's worse . . . is children accept it completely.  It usually takes a serious life-conflict of some sort to shake that brainwashing lose, and I think that most folks get to teenage years at least before they even dare to question - anything.  Darcy wrote a really good description.   It's important to let folks know that this type of upbringing exists all over the world.

Do you know of any females that have an "well if I'm evil and are going to hell no matter what I might as well live it and have fun"? I've known some preachers daughters that seem to have taken this route. They were not fundie preachers though.

I've met a couple.  They seemed sadder than the prim and proper ones, though, because they would - - rebel - - and then come back begging for forgiveness.  It seemed like a vicious cycle.
I remember having a crush on someone when I was in sixth grade. This person, according to what I had learned in church, was definitely not for me. I tried my best not to think about it, and if I ever did, I'd beat myself up and pray. So anyway, one day at school this person found me between classes. I was sitting on some stairway and suddenly felt someone sitting next to me. I recognized the shoes. So shiny. So in. I got so nervous. I dared not look up. I kept doodling on my notebook. So the kid asks me what I'm doing, all while putting an arm around my shoulders and leaning into me to see my drawings. I responded quickly and my stomach began to hurt. God was surely mad at me. I was being a traitor. How could I be happy? How could I be sad at the same time? Kid says, "Are you nervous?" I quickly get up and run down the stairs. I went home. Didn't make it to my next class. I went straight to my room and cried until I could no more. I felt guilty. I felt good. I felt excited. I felt guilty for feeling excited. I prayed and then fasted the next day. Next Sunday I had a talk with the youth pastor and confessed (partially, because if I said everything about the kid, this would certainly be discussed with my parents). Youth pastor told me that the Holy Spirit was still with me, because it made me feel guilty. He said that if I ever stopped feeling guilty, then I should worry that the spirit left me. He then told me that the only sin god wouldn't forgive was the sin of heresy against the Holy Spirit. I then went through a crisis that lasted several months because someone told me about the unforgivable sin, and now my mind was playing tricks on me. 
Thoughts:
holy spirit is dumb
I hate the holy spirit
The holy spirit sucks

Sure, I think it's funny now lol! But fuck! It was a mind fuck! I kept thinking I was doomed to hell! I kept thinking that life had no value anymore, because I had committed the unforgivable sin. My parents had to stay up with me at night and help me pray so I could eventually fall asleep. I had anxiety attacks, depression, suicidal thoughts and attempts, you name it. 

So anyway, this is just a small window of my life growing up fundie. Thanks to reason and the hard work that my brother and I put in, neither my parents nor my siblings remain theists. We have all stepped into the light.  Tongue
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Wow, Mamacita . . . what a story.  Yeah, I get it.  Imagine trying to look up "homosexuality" in a Christian school library in the early '70's.  Yikes!   
I remember coming home from a flute lesson in the summer, and nobody was at the house.  I didn't find anyone at either neighbor's house.  I looked down the street and didn't see ANYBODY.  So, I deduced that the Rapture had occurred, and I had been left behind.  My brother found me crying in my closet.  The tale can make folks chuckle now, (silly little girl!) but I really think that fundamentalist teaching is child abuse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3405 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2200 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24445 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  fundamentalist idea of hell drfuzzy 34 8065 August 27, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Drich
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2160 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Best description of Christianity Spooky 167 21433 February 14, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Seeking female atheist writer/speaker for YouTube collaboration GreatBigBore 63 9091 September 29, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Fundamentalist christian group to refuse accept any post with Harvey Milk Stamp on. downbeatplumb 79 19497 June 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)