Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist who refused Christian counselor lost her sons
Atheist who refused Christian counselor lost her sons
Holly Salzman of Albuquerque, New Mexico went to court to resolve coparenting issues with her ex-husband. The judge ordered Salzman to attend 10 sessions with a counselor named Mary Pepper. When Salzman went to the first session, Pepper began praying out loud, Salzman objected but Pepper told her, "well this is what I do." When Salzman attended the next session, Pepper prayed out loud again and spoke at length about God. Salzman asked the court to let her see another counselor, but the court never responded. Salzman stopped seeing Pepper and the court took her sons away.

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/15/non-rel...efuse.html
RE: Atheist who refused Christian counselor lost her sons
Where is the ACLU when you need it?
(September 16, 2015 at 2:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: Where is the ACLU when you need it?

I'll be shocked if the cavalry isn't just over the next hill, galloping like mad. 

It's not clear what caused the woman in question to be ordered to attend counseling, but the outcome is simply unacceptable.  This is yet another example of how the separation of church and state is eroded to the point of meaninglessness in certain locales.  I neither believe that the judge was unaware of the religious nature of the "counseling" that was taking place, nor do I believe that there wasn't one secular counselor in that jurisdiction to whom this woman could have been referred.

But these local abuses of church/state separation aren't unusual.  Though obviously not nearly as significant as the article linked, I (to my shame) had a DUI back in '92.  When I went to court, the judge ordered me to attend some number of AA meetings.  He was absolutely flummoxed when I requested that I be ordered to attend classes/meetings run by a secular organization.  It was as if it never occurred to him that there might be people in his courtroom who weren't on board with "higher powers" of any sort.  The judge assured me that AA wasn't strictly religious, but I maintained that, as an atheist, I couldn't in good conscience attend a group meeting in which people pretended that "higher power" was not code for "God".  It turned out that there simply wasn't such an organization in my immediate area. 

To his credit, the judge revised my punishment to a fine, a bit of community service, and a handful of hours in an traffic class that had no god-talk in its curriculum -- little more than a cursory look at the bad consequences that can arise from alcohol abuse and the dangers of drunk driving.  But I've sometimes wondered how many other people in my circumstances, in that jurisdiction, got railroaded into AA for want of another option.

For the record, I have no beef with AA, per se.  It's done a lot of good for a lot of people, and I tip my hat to it for that.  But it wasn't/isn't for me.
This is disgusting. Clear breach of separation of church and state.

As I always say, what if the counsellor started talking about healing through the Flying Spaghetti Monster? How long would they be allowed to practice?

This shit needs coming down on hard. Even if the counsellor happens to be Christian, if they're funded by the state, they need to keep it to themselves and do their job. My current counsellor is a Buddhist but hasn't let that affect my treatment one bit.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 16, 2015 at 4:27 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(September 16, 2015 at 2:49 am)Minimalist Wrote: Where is the ACLU when you need it?

I'll be shocked if the cavalry isn't just over the next hill, galloping like mad. 

It's not clear what caused the woman in question to be ordered to attend counseling, but the outcome is simply unacceptable.  This is yet another example of how the separation of church and state is eroded to the point of meaninglessness in certain locales.  I neither believe that the judge was unaware of the religious nature of the "counseling" that was taking place, nor do I believe that there wasn't one secular counselor in that jurisdiction to whom this woman could have been referred.

But these local abuses of church/state separation aren't unusual.  Though obviously not nearly as significant as the article linked, I (to my shame) had a DUI back in '92.  When I went to court, the judge ordered me to attend some number of AA meetings.  He was absolutely flummoxed when I requested that I be ordered to attend classes/meetings run by a secular organization.  It was as if it never occurred to him that there might be people in his courtroom who weren't on board with "higher powers" of any sort.  The judge assured me that AA wasn't strictly religious, but I maintained that, as an atheist, I couldn't in good conscience attend a group meeting in which people pretended that "higher power" was not code for "God".  It turned out that there simply wasn't such an organization in my immediate area. 

To his credit, the judge revised my punishment to a fine, a bit of community service, and a handful of hours in an traffic class that had no god-talk in its curriculum -- little more than a cursory look at the bad consequences that can arise from alcohol abuse and the dangers of drunk driving.  But I've sometimes wondered how many other people in my circumstances, in that jurisdiction, got railroaded into AA for want of another option.

For the record, I have no beef with AA, per se.  It's done a lot of good for a lot of people, and I tip my hat to it for that.  But it wasn't/isn't for me.

I've been annoyed in Omaha when judges give defendants a choice of jail or the Salvation Army treatment center. In '92 I can't recall if RR was still holding meetings or not.  Apparently no one in the court system there had heard of it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Someone needs to go after the judge, and these counselors. I realize that atheism is still a minority, but what if it was someone of a different faith? You're telling me these people don't know how to do their jobs without inclusing Yahweh in it?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Feel free to jump in Christians... just cut and paste this:

"This is disgusting and is a clear violation of separation of church and state."

Non-poisoned virtual candy for the first person who does what I say. Do it! Now! Tongue

If you think it isn't, then consider how you'd feel getting sent to a Satanist counselor who was invoking dark magic during your sessions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T.I. takes his daughter to the gyno every year to check her Hymen. Divinity 48 3852 December 5, 2019 at 8:39 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Shot in her own home! Brian37 119 7467 October 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Greta Thunberg: adults who attack her ‘must feel threatened’ EgoDeath 148 8493 October 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Paradise Lost....... Brian37 4 409 September 14, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Pregnant Alabama Woman who was shot charged with Manslaughter of her unborn baby Cecelia 94 7520 July 3, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  I don't like AOC and her fake new fans part 1 Drich 12 1615 February 20, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  BREAKING:The Turkish president refused to accept the U.S National Security Advisor WinterHold 1 444 January 9, 2019 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her $15K-a-month campaign job Aegon 12 1894 August 17, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Poor Ivanka, shuts down her name brand. Brian37 7 1165 July 25, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2061 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris