Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the hammer of homosexuality
the hammer of homosexuality
I had a thought (this is dangerous I know).

to the Bible homosexuality is a sin. A sin meaning that it is a choice by the offending human.... not the force of God.

So if that be the case then homosexuality is in no part biological since that would be God's doing.

as far as I know we as humans do not purposely align the fetus to be a certain gender or sexual orientation. Not yet anyway (Gatica!)

Yet there is some growing evidence that sexual orientation is at least in part biological.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/...idence.htm

now i'm not saying it's conclusive by any means but the evidence is getting stronger in this direction.

By that logic then God is at least in some way responsible for homosexuality.

If that also be the case then this is strong evidence that homophobic men wrote the Bible. A God of any reasonable thought would not create something then tell others to destroy it unless that god was truly evil.

Now I make the connection to gay marriage and it seems a lot more clear why the Christians are against any recognition of any sort of gay rights. It would undermine the very idea that the Bible is the word of God. which of course we fully understand.

Please give me your thoughts on this matter and maybe give me different directions to explore on this subject.
RE: the hammer of homosexuality
Like everything, God is either directly responsible for homosexuals; or he allows it to happen so gives consent; or he is not actually as in control of things as we are told.

Theists' use of the word "natural" is dumbfounding, considering they think God is supernatural, and he does everything that ever happens with magic. Homosexuality is completely natural, in any meaningful sense of the word.

Homophobia is often caused by a combination of ignorance and insecurity, in my opinion. I expect it's almost certain the men writing the bible were homophobic, in fact I am surprised there are not many more references to it (there's barely any, and Christians blow it way out of proportion).

Maybe even then they understood about "The lady doth protest too much." They seem to understand it better than many Christians today, who seem hell bent on broadcasting their thinly veiled repressed urges.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I really don't care (other than pure curiosity) if sexual orientations are entirely, partially, or not at all biological. None of these options are a valid reason for busy bodies to judge whether what consenting adults do in private is ok by them.

The concept of sin is meaningless. An offense to god....Not your fellow human beings, no, that could be called empathy, god forbid! No, your first and foremost concern is adjusting all the ways you've been made in by him to not offend the petty, insecure little dictator, because if you don't worship him 24/7, he might just realize how tiny he is.

Ghhhh -_-
Agreed. Even if being gay (or bisexual, which is too much for simpletons to be able to jam into their black and white thinking) was a choice, who the fuck cares? Worry about your own genitals and keep your nose out of other people's, except by invitation.

"Being gay offends God" = "Being gay offends me"

Can't stop talking about the virtues of male/male anal sex = Can't stop thinking about other men's arse holes
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 10, 2015 at 4:28 am)robvalue Wrote: Agreed. Even if being gay (or bisexual, which is too much for simpletons to be able to jam into their black and white thinking) was a choice, who the fuck cares? Worry about your own genitals and keep your nose out of other people's, except by invitation.

"Being gay offends God" = "Being gay offends me"

Can't stop talking about the virtues of male/male anal sex = Can't stop thinking about other men's arse holes

Well, if they kept their noses out of other peoples' business, what would be the point of Christianity? I mean, they claim it's a "personal relationship with God" and all that, but it's pretty clear to the rest of us that there's a lot  more involved, most of it having to do with sticking noses where they're not welcome and pressuring people psychologically.

My question isn't whether it's biological or not (it's pretty clear to me that it is), it's why they've chosen to focus on this one "sin" so heavily, out of the thousands of options, when 

1) It has virtually no presence in the Bible... a couple of obscure references in the Pentateuch, a clear reference and a couple of vague references in the New Testament, and not much else, and

2) There are many, many other sins spoken of in much clearer terms, which are ignored almost entirely, such as fortune telling, for instance. Divorce is spoken against by Jesus in the clearest possible terms, and forbidden in very strong language, yet we hear nothing about it except an occasional sermon in the actual church, and nothing beyond its doors where I'm forced to give a shit about it.

I've never managed to figure out how homosexuality became their pet bigotry. I know the history of Roman-style prejudice and conceptualization of the gay thing (e.g. expected/perceived femininity of gay men, and the idea that being the "bottom" or the one doing the sucking is somehow worse than the one on "top"), but I can't figure out how it got to be where it is, as a central-focus issue for this generation's primary bigotry.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

God forbids homosexuality.
(October 10, 2015 at 7:27 am)Randys brother Wrote: God forbids homosexuality.

I forbid gods. Problem solved c:
(October 10, 2015 at 7:27 am)Randys brother Wrote: God forbids homosexuality.

Well, here is a list of other things God considers "abominations", according to the Bible. I've chosen a few favorites, which I don't really see Christians getting all hot and bothered about:

Unclean things (Lev. 7:21)
Customs of pagans (Lev. 18:30) [Christmas trees, Easter eggs/bunnies, Halloween...]
Idols (2 Chr. 15:8; 1 Pet. 4:3)
A proud look (Pro. 6:16-17)
A lying tongue (Pro. 6:17; 12:22)
Hands that shed innocent blood ((Pro. 6:17) [See also: Predator drones and "collateral damage"]
A scheming heart (Pro. 6:18)
A false witness that speaks lies (Pro. 6:19)
A sower of discord (Pro. 6:19)
A false balance or scale (Pro. 11:1)
The proud of heart (Pro. 16:5)
Divers, dishonest weights (Pro. 20:10, 23)
Divers, dishonest measures (Pro. 20:10)
Lending money at interest (Pro. 28:8-9)
Prayers of the rebel (Pro. 28:9)
Taking ornaments from idols when being destroyed (Dt. 7:25-26)
Any Idolatrous practices (Dt. 12:31; 13:14; 17:4; 18:9; 20:18; 29:17)
Wearing clothes of the opposite sex (Dt. 22:5) 
Paying tithes with money earned in prostitution (Dt. 23:18)
Re-marriage of former companions (Dt. 24:1-4)
Cheating others (Dt. 25:13-16)
Making images/idols (Dt. 27:15)
Incense offered by hypocrites (Isa. 1:13)
Eating unclean things (Isa. 66:17)
Oppression of others, particularly the poor or vulnerable (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Violence (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Breaking vows (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Lending with interest to a brother (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Lying with a menstruating woman (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Hardness of heart (Ezek. 18: 6-13)
Injustice (Ezek. 18: 6-13) [America has the most overcrowded and unfair justice system in the First World... not a peep!]
Incest (Lev. 19: 6-30)
Things highly esteemed by man (Lk. 16:15)

Half the things on this list are daily occurrences in this country, which is 75-80% Christian. And yet not a peep about most of 'em. Getting the picture?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

I'm with Neimenovic. Who cares what consenting adults do whether it be biological or choice?

If these Christians don't want to be gay and willingly suppress their sexuality, that's their choice and their problem. They shouldn't push it on other though.
[Image: 08.jpg]
(October 10, 2015 at 4:06 am)loganonekenobi Wrote: By that logic...

I think I found your problem. Open your heart and let the hate flow, then you'll understand. Tongue

My think is that peeps (American peeps) were just homophobic to start with, quote mined the Bible for the relevant Vengeance (cat's named Vengeance, ain't he?). Hooked some obscure Leviticus to their wagon, and it's off to the races. Undecided

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German bishops agree with scientists: homosexuality is normal Fake Messiah 21 2726 January 21, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Bible condemns homosexuality. Jehanne 190 28722 May 2, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Homosexuality degenerates Safirno 83 9414 July 9, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is Christianity against homosexuality? 123abc 60 10374 October 10, 2015 at 8:17 am
Last Post: robvalue
  HOMOSEXUALITY IS A 'SIN' BigGiantPorky 98 20658 August 1, 2015 at 10:58 am
Last Post: dyresand
  On the subject of homosexuality... Boris Karloff 42 10669 January 20, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  A wonderful response to biblical objections to homosexuality. Esquilax 22 6984 January 20, 2014 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Bashing Homosexuality and Everyone is Behind Him Yahweh 3 2052 December 25, 2013 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Yahweh
  Homosexuality is a sin? Well, Xtians, what about these other 76 things? Creed of Heresy 96 32678 May 28, 2013 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why Homosexuality is Okay Erinome 92 36094 January 21, 2012 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: I_Am_Death