Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travelling at the speed of light?[Question]
Travelling at the speed of light?[Question]
Simple question(Clearly hypothetically speaking by the way):

How long could you technically travel at the speed of light? [Side question: When people talk about travelling at the speed of light, why do they never mention the thousands of rocks you would hit every millisecond? Is it because of some law in physics or something that prevents that from occuring(dont know what to call it)? It would seem that you would never be able to travel that fast due to how many asteroids and objects in space you would hit, but I assume i'm wrong]

Assuming everything was in place accordingly, is there anything that would stop you? Would you face any physical problems from travelling that long at that speed?
RE: Travelling at the speed of light?[Question]
There are far worse barriers than asteroids while traveling at lightspeed, the first being the energy requirements. The space is too vast and the asteroids are not as closely packed as hollywood would have us believe, so charting a path while avoiding them is not that hard at all.

However even if we can gain lightspeed travel, it would still take us a few thousand years to get to the nearest star systems, not too promising when you think about it. This is where traveling through wormholes seem like a more lucrative idea. Wink
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 20, 2015 at 12:42 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: There are far worse barriers than asteroids while traveling at lightspeed, the first being the energy requirements. The space is too vast and the asteroids are not as closely packed as hollywood would have us believe, so charting a path while avoiding them is not that hard at all.

However even if we can gain lightspeed travel, it would still take us a few thousand years to get to the nearest star systems, not too promising when you think about it. This is where traveling through wormholes seem like a more lucrative idea. Wink
No offense but you should read the question first, I said "clearly hypothetically speaking" as in "assuming we can travel at the speed of light", not concerned with the energy requirements. More as in if there is anything in space, or any limitation of physics that would render us unable to keep travelling.

Also I am asking(but this may have been more un clear) how long could we travel, meaning without a specific destination and assuming we could keep going forever in space. Is there anything (in space) preventing us from travelling endlessly, basically hypothetically assuming for the purpose of the question that we have advanced enough technology.
It's my admittedly simplistic understanding that the closer to light speed you go, the higher the energy requirements get until they are infinite. Additionally, time dilates the closer you get to c, and when traveling at that speed time essentially stops.

No doubt one of the several physwhizzes here will pull me up by the short hairs, but that's what I've gotten out of my layman's readings.

You mean this

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMO1qgXWajMPlLS-wLy4e...v89sAk2_r8]

ain't gonna happen?
There are many problems with travel at +99%C.

The background radiation of the universe ahead of you will be extremely blue shifted and extremely dangerous.

Rocks and asteroids are few and far between, the bigger and much more frequent issue would be microscopic grains of dust. They will smack with astonishing, vicious energy and will be extremely dangerous.

Accelerating to that speed is extremely difficult. Even harnessing large nuclear explosives to propel a craft might be good for less than 0.1C. Even antimatter, unless used extremely efficiently won't do it. There is a concept called a Bussard Interstellar ramjet, and it actually gets more efficient the faster it goes, but it is extremely difficult imagining how to build one, let alone piloting it around the galaxy.

The Space Shuttle accelerated for 2-3 Gs for ~8 minutes just to reach 17000 MPH, to reach a high percent of C requires acceleration of 1 G for a year, or 2 Gs for 6 months, or 3 Gs for 4 months, it is difficult to even imagine getting up to those speeds, and then recall you also have to take fuel to decelerate at your craft at the destination.

You're better contemplating large multi-generational ships in the 0.05C range. Then large nukes can work, and actually work well. Preliminary designs and concepts were worked out in the 60's. If you're willing to spend ~400 years building it, a multi-generational craft capable of taking 50,000 people and the materials to provision a viable colony is possible. Refueling and refurbishing (or duplicating) the craft at the destination would take some centuries, and then one or more colonizing attempts could be made, assuming the first destination was well chosen.

That technology could be used to explore and colonize our galaxy in a couple or few million years.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 20, 2015 at 12:50 am)heatiosrs Wrote:
(October 20, 2015 at 12:42 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: There are far worse barriers than asteroids while traveling at lightspeed, the first being the energy requirements. The space is too vast and the asteroids are not as closely packed as hollywood would have us believe, so charting a path while avoiding them is not that hard at all.

No offense but you should read the question first, I said "clearly hypothetically speaking" as in "assuming we can travel at the speed of light", not concerned with the energy requirements. More as in if there is anything in space, or any limitation of physics that would render us unable to keep travelling.

Also I am asking(but this may have been more un clear) how long could we travel, meaning without a specific destination and assuming we could keep going forever in space. Is there anything (in space) preventing us from travelling endlessly, basically hypothetically assuming for the purpose of the question that we have advanced enough technology.
No offense, but you should try to understand the response first.

Simply stating a scenario is hypothetical, doesn't magically change all the associated rules. Without predefined rules, anything is possible in a hypothetical scenario. If Flash can speed his way through solid walls, hypothetically spaceships can pass through solid asteroids.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Exactly what Parkers Tan and Vorlon said Smile

Though the time dilation can work in the travellers' favour in a sense, because by accelerating you can arbitrarily shorten the time that passes in the spaceship. But as seen from the outside, a lightyear will always take more than a year to traverse unless there are serious flaws in relativity theory.

We're talking about ordinary movement through space, no wormholes or exotic warp drives as poroposed by Alcubierre.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Foreverz! (like me and my Gwynnies!  Heart ) Panic

Things go at the speed of light because they have no mass. Massless particles have one speed - c - that's all they get. They also have no time. So, foreverz. As has been mentioned, these limitations indicate that to accelerate to c takes essentially infinite energy, which builds up to infinite mass, and then you have no time. So "accelerating to c" directly is likely to remain on the fiction side of science fiction.

And yes, if you were to somehow directly able to accelerate to near c, if you hit something, you'd vaporize your cruiser. Some fictional scenarios have ships that project a forward force field to push these pesky particles out of the way; I know Reynolds likes to coat his cruisers in a thick plating of ice. Where there's imagination the possible solutions are endless.

But, never do nothing direct when there are indirect means of achieving the same result. Things like the Alcubierre drive posit warping space into essentially a gradient that is higher behind your cruiser and lower in front so that it is theoretically possible to skirt relativistic limitations. Unfortunately this requires negative energy (and likely exotic matter) things theorized but never actually observed. Another potential benefit of this hypothetical negative energy may be to reduce the effective mass of the craft. In some warp-drive scenarios, the amount of warp available varies directly with the amount of mass reduction.

Another indirect potential methodology is nanoscale automation, the sending out of Von Neumann machines to build the ring structures necessary for the construction of wormholes. This potential eliminates relativistic constraint by ignoring the space between objects.

But yeah, foreverz, like me and my Gwynnies!  Big Grin
Ive always been confused by the idea that the relative speed of a collision gets capped at c. Assuming I got that correct, is that something I could understand by reading an article (if so do you know a good one) or is it going to be harder to understand?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3144 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2642 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1849 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2373 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55167 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3168 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5939 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2537 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The speed of light and discovering RozKek 45 8102 August 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 1980 August 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf