Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loving God More Than Your Family & Spouse
Loving God More Than Your Family & Spouse
Hi All, I just want to know how one can love something intangible more than someone you can intellectually discern. How is it possible? How can you get married knowing you love a imaginary friend more? How can a relationship with this friend (again intangible) can impact ones life more than what a real person can offer you ? Like love and intimacy . I just fail to see why the vast majority of people on this planet continue to do this.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
RE: Loving God More Than Your Family & Spouse
The vast majority would also agree with you.
Their indoctrination skews their reasoning to the point where their imaginary friend is as real as flesh and blood.
No-one would do it if it wasn't real, right? To them it's as real as the poop in their toilet.
A testament to the power of the mind and the abuse of power of the church.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I agree, it is ridiculous.

It's not a relationship of love. It's one of submission and domination, for both Christianity and Islam.

It's an absolutely disgusting idea which devalues the only real thing of importance we have, and that's the life around us on the planet.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 13, 2015 at 7:01 am)miaharun Wrote: Hi All, I just want to know how one can love something intangible more than someone you can intellectually discern. How is it possible?
People do this all the time in other contexts.  Some people love the "sense of reward" [an intangible entity] of their job more than their families.
(November 13, 2015 at 7:01 am)miaharun Wrote: How can you get married knowing you love a imaginary friend more?

You've now equivocated, defining 'imaginary' the same as 'intangible.'
(November 13, 2015 at 7:01 am)miaharun Wrote: How can a relationship with this friend (again intangible) can impact ones life more than what a real person can offer you?
Again you've equivocated, defining something that is 'intangible' as 'imaginary'.
(November 13, 2015 at 7:01 am)miaharun Wrote: Like love and intimacy . I just fail to see why the vast majority of people on this planet continue to do this.
If you are defining God as imaginary (God is intangible and intangible entities are imaginary) then it is understandable why you can't understand why a person would choose to love God more than a spouse.  By your own standard you would also then have to ask the question: how can a person love in the first place, how is that possible?  After all love is an intangible entity and therefore imaginary.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

I don't know how people do it, but they do. Couple divorcing each other. Parents abandoning children. Religion can tear family units apart, and the bible doesn't apologize for this.

I was more of a liberal christian when I was religion. It was more about being a good person. I had a neighbor who came out as gay, and he eloped with his partner because his parents didn't approve. Back then I wasn't exactly pro homosexuality, and hoped it was just a phase. Of course the guy is still gay to this day. I do find it weird that his partner was old enough to be his dad, though. That's generally considered weird for heterosexual couples too, though.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

It's about as ridiculous as freeing oneself of attachments in order to achieve nirvana.  Same end, same tools...in this case.

You understand christians better than you think you do......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I kind of disagree with that. I know I'm using a computer to talk to you guys, but I also like to believe I'm not so attached to it that I can't spend a week at the beach or something. Not that I'd want to cast off everything and live in a tree, but I don't want to be a technophile either.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...

Which has very little to do with either loving god or achieving nirvana.  To a christian -or- buddhist, the kingdom is not of this world, and the way to the kingdom is to stop clinging to this world.  They are both told to do the -same- thing in order to reach the same place.

It's just a common religious theme, as common as the religious not realizing how common their religious themes are.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Buddhism still comes across as better, in my opinion, though I have heard stories of violent buddhists and hindus. It's not perfect, but I like the idea of self enlightenment better than groveling before someone else to reach the ideal afterlife.

Except that buddhism isn't all that enlightening, and the buddhist idea of "self enlightenment" is interchangeable with conformity to doctrine.
(as-is the case /w all religion ofc, not singling them out there, none of them think they have it wrong......)

I guess their heart's in the right place, even if they're trying to escape it, lol. I'd call it different before I called it better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2566 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1520 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2349 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 364 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2859 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9470 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1440 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10309 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Thank you for more of your nonsense, Pat Robertson Foxaèr 22 3448 October 3, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Puke Skywalker
  Is Trump absolute Proof that there's no loving god? The Valkyrie 16 3454 February 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris