Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranks social order and Mother Teresa Sainthood.
Ranks social order and Mother Teresa Sainthood.
Yep it was only a matter of time. For fans of Christopher Hitchens they know he was no fan of hers. Now here is the link of the story, and my following OP ed. Now before anybody blasts me for blasphemy, you need to know that I am a former Catholic, and my mother, whom I love dearly is still a Catholic. My op ed is tying this event to what religions are throughout human history in reality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/...story.html

Now for my OP/ED...... The word "miracle" is not a concept owned and copyrighted by the Vatican or Catholic religion first off. All religions have similar motifs of gap filling to explain the seemingly impossible. 

I am using Catholics here as an example, but the argument applies to all religions. 

There are no humans with magic crystal balls with a special bat phone or those who are closer to the divine than their flocks. A Rabbi isn't talking to a real god anymore than the patron who goes to the Synagogue. An Imam isn't talking to Allah anymore than a patron who attends a Mosque. And the Pope also isn't talking to a god anymore than someone who attends a Catholic church.

Ok, so why does this concept of Sainthood exist? Well, because humans evolved to set up social structures, and we reward those within our clubs whom we think help us and help the club. Really no different than when a medal is given to a soldier for saving a buddy. No different than when a business rewards an employee with a pay raise or promotion.

But no, she really is not a hero to humanity. If you want someone like that you could look to King or Malala or even Ann Frank or Oscar Shindler. She used the poor as a way to promote the church, her idea of charity wasn't about improving but exploiting. 

Now in Catholic history of the idea of Saints, which certainly you can find more kind and pragmatic individuals, the entire concept itself is really a rank reward system, and in that institution's history many of them were not nice and only kind to the church and used poverty and power to promote the church. 

Many people don't know outside historians, that the obelisk that stands in the square with the cross on top of it, is the very obelisk Caligula stole from Egypt. Church historians would argue that would symbolize defeat over tyranny. No, even with the adaptation of Christianity and the fall of Rome, it was not until the age of enlightenment that theocracy finally waned which gave rise to secular ideas. 

The Vatican like any other religion has ranks and rewards those who promote the club. The concept of Sainthood is a superstition. Teresa had no magic powers, no human does. And the rank system of the Catholic institution is no different than any social structure with other holy people of other religions. It is simply a marketing ploy.

Now here is where Catholics and even people of other religions of falsely accusing the skeptic of hating religion in a bigoted context. NO, I simply hate bad logic. There is no such thing as a "miracle". 

Humans of other religions, also have their own words in their own languages as a gap word, when someone seemingly has divine help in surviving something. No, if you survive something it is because the natural conditions existed with countless variables that lead to that outcome. If you die that also is because of countless variables that lead to that outcome.

A simple google search of yearly deaths worldwide will show you on average 50 million to 60 million humans die per year on average from everything. The idea that a divine hand gave a human a "miracle" is simply a gap answer, and based on selection bias and sample rate error. 

Teresa was an empathetic human, but that didn't make what she did a pragmatic useful reality for humanity. The amount of "good" people can claim she did, did not negate the negative things produced by her bad logic. She was not a friend of the poor as Hitchens rightfully pointed out, she was a friend to poverty, and enabler not an emancipator.

Now again, I use Catholics because that is the story in the news right now. But, religion as a human invented construct in general is no different in our species history, the complexities of all of them is not my argument. But the idea of a holy person or a holy book and "faith" and following, being a virtue simply is not all it is cracked up to be.
RE: Ranks social order and Mother Teresa Sainthood.
Not only that, but Mother Teresa wrote in her own diary that she had many moments while praying that she wondered if there was even anyone there to listen.  She wrote that she questioned the very existence of god!  And now they want to make her a saint?  There were a lot of times when she certainly didn't act like one.

And miracle?  What miracle?  
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/mother...an-n482281
Ok, so she supposedly healed a woman's tumor through "divine intervention", and healed a man's viral brain infection through prayer.

Wow, I would like to see the scientific studies that proved the original diseases, the medical system's efforts to heal those people, and the CT scans showing tumors visibly shrinking while her nibs was prayin'.  Yep.  That would convince a whole lot of folks - they would have millions of new Catholics! - I wonder why those studies haven't been released?    Angel

And not only that, but wait - - so - - years after a person is supposedly in hebben, playin' their harp an' singin', blissfully happy, the Pope decides to make them a Saint.  That means they have to give up their praisin' and singin' time to listen to millions of humans whine at them.  Don't they get a vote?  Doesn't god get a vote?  Geez.

I just can't quite wrap my brain around the idea that a billion people are celebrating this.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Quote:And now they want to make her a saint?

It all has to do with money.  In the old days they used to make shrines for pilgrims to visit and throw money at.

These days they'll slap her face on a t-shirt and the fuckheads will lap it up, at $14.99 a pop.
Hitchens exposed her as a fraudulent psychopath. So perfect for sainthood.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I seethe every time I hear this woman's name. Considering all the practical good that might have come of the vast amount of money that came her way (a first rate medical facility that actually tried to help the poor bastards who crawled to her comes to mind), what was her actual legacy? She gave us the spectacle of yet another Christian ghoul praying over, while preying on, the dying: "Come on in and die here! We won't help you, but you'll get Christ shoved down your throat until you convert."

A fucking power-hungry, status-seeking vulture is what she was.
Yup.  Just like Junipero Serra*...another scumbucket handed a halo by the church.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world...eferral=PM

Quote:A study conducted by Canadian researchers has called Mother Teresa "anything but a saint", a creation of an orchestrated and effective media campaign who was generous with her prayers but miserly with her foundation's millions when it came to humanity's suffering.

The controversial study, to be published this month in the journal of studies in religion/sciences called Religieuses, says that Teresa — known across the world as the apostle of the dying and the downtrodden — actually felt it was beautiful to see the poor suffer.

According to the study, the Vatican overlooked the crucial human side of Teresa — her dubious way of caring for the sick by glorifying their suffering instead of relieving it.

But still the catholicks make excuses for the bastards.

* http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/att....html?_r=0

Quote:Historians agree that he forced Native Americans to abandon their tribal culture and convert to Christianity, and that he had them whipped and imprisoned and sometimes worked or tortured to death.
Quote:She was beatified in 2003 as Blessed Teresa of Calcutta for healing an Indian woman's tumor through divine intervention, but full sainthood requires the declaration of two miracles.

What, the tumour that doctors say responded to medical treatment?

Quote:On September 5 1998, the first anniversary of Mother Teresa's death, two nuns tied an oval medallion bearing a picture of Mother Teresa to Monica Besra's stomach. Her subsequent cure was hailed as a miracle.

This is the act of "divine intervention" that underpins Mother Teresa's controversial beatification, due to take place on October 19, and forms the cornerstone of the claim being made for her eventual sainthood. The televised ceremony planned by the Vatican will be the climax of a week of celebrations to mark the 25th anniversary of John Paul II's election. But the elevation of the Albanian-born Agnes Gonxha Bojahiu into Blessed Teresa of Calcutta has its detractors.

Some of the doctors who treated Monica Besra, for example, say that there is no evidence of a miracle. They say that her tumour was not fully grown and that her condition responded to medical treatment.

"This miracle claim is absolute nonsense and should be condemned by everyone," Dr Ranjan Kumar Mustafi, of Balurghat Hospital in West Bengal, said. "She had a medium-sized tumour in her lower abdomen caused by tuberculosis. The drugs she was given eventually reduced the cystic mass and it disappeared after a year's treatment."

Her husband initially shared this scepticism. "This miracle is a hoax," he told an interviewer last year. "It is much ado about nothing. My wife was cured by the doctors." Since then, however, he is full of praise for Mother Teresa and her order.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1279 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4579 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NRA files chpter11 in NY in order to flee to Texas. Brian37 14 1147 January 16, 2021 at 5:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Irish government to apologise over mother-and-baby homes zebo-the-fat 6 457 January 12, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  There's a social pandemic poisoning Europe: hatred of Muslims WinterHold 23 1340 November 2, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Social distancing? ignoramus 12 949 April 23, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough? Rhizomorph13 14 965 April 2, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs a day at the beach BrianSoddingBoru4 51 3443 March 27, 2020 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs Prayer onlinebiker 42 2879 March 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oz government crackdown on Social Media fredd bear 24 1725 March 31, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Amarok