Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social distancing?
Social distancing?
Guys, is there some clever political psychology when the world decided to use this term?
It just seems strange. Unnecessarily harsh.

If all they want is to stop people coming in close contact to minimize the virus spread, why couldn't they just call it something like body distancing.
Social distancing almost implies to distance yourself "socially" from others.
As we are social animals, and with today's tech, we don't need to be physically holding hands with each other to be able to connect socially and/or emotionally.

Just wondering why they might have chosen that term Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Social distancing?
(April 23, 2020 at 5:36 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Guys, is there some clever political psychology when the world decided to use this term?

If all they want is to stop people coming in close contact to minimize the virus spread, why couldn't they just call it something like body distancing.
As we are social animals, and with today's tech, we don't need to be physically holding hands with each other to be able to connect socially and/or emotionally.

It isn't a conspiracy. It simply means if you do't want to get others sick, keep your distance. Of course humans are social animals. But the sane realize this and are not as selfish as assholes who don't give  a fuck.
(April 23, 2020 at 5:36 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Guys, is there some clever political psychology when the world decided to use this term?

The introvert that is me has been a fan of social distancing for a long time.   Cool

I guess the term doesn't bother me as it's been my preferred method of moving through the world.  

Maybe safe distancing would sound better.

(April 23, 2020 at 6:05 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

It isn't a conspiracy. It simply means if you do't want to get others sick, keep your distance. Of course humans are social animals. But the sane realize this and are not as selfish as assholes who don't give  a fuck.

Shut up Brian - you missed the point.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Meh,...... better than a "get the fuck away from me" policy.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 23, 2020 at 7:22 pm)brewer Wrote: Meh,...... better than a "get the fuck away from me" policy.

If one is sane, then they keep their distance.  If one is an asshole like Trump and the far right, they don't give a fuck.

I give a fuck, so even with those I know. I don't have to say a thing. Unless you want me to kiss you on your lips knowing I just licked a doorknob?
(April 23, 2020 at 7:22 pm)brewer Wrote: Meh,...... better than a "get the fuck away from me" policy.

Maybe it’s because ‘non-pharmaceutical maximal anti-proximate prophylactic viral transmission preventive methodology’ wouldn’t fit on the brochures.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Social kinda implies society and a concern for the rest of the people around you. You distance because you care about the rest of the people in your orbit. That's the impression I get, anyway.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(April 23, 2020 at 7:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

If one is sane, then they keep their distance.  If one is an asshole like Trump and the far right, they don't give a fuck.

I give a fuck, so even with those I know. I don't have to say a thing. Unless you want me to kiss you on your lips knowing I just licked a doorknob?

Not to give you a hard time (and hoping it won’t set you off), but you did miss the point. It isn’t why we’re doing social distancing, but why what we’re doing is called ‘social distancing’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Physical distancing" would've been a more accurate term.

Maybe people are sick of "social distancing" because of the baggage the term carries Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 23, 2020 at 7:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 23, 2020 at 7:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If one is sane, then they keep their distance.  If one is an asshole like Trump and the far right, they don't give a fuck.

Not to give you a hard time (and hoping it won’t set you off), but you did miss the point. It isn’t why we’re doing social distancing, but why what we’re doing is called ‘social distancing’.

Boru

In any other aspect of life, why do we bitch?

If humans agree to speed limits why is it we still bitch when we get pulled over, and given a ticket?

I will side with social distancing for the same reason I side with speed limits. Nothing is perfect in life, but trying is better than no rules.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1161 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4478 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There's a social pandemic poisoning Europe: hatred of Muslims WinterHold 23 1291 November 2, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough? Rhizomorph13 14 944 April 2, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs a day at the beach BrianSoddingBoru4 51 3300 March 27, 2020 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs Prayer onlinebiker 42 2789 March 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oz government crackdown on Social Media fredd bear 24 1641 March 31, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Social Credit System Seraphina 15 915 October 11, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ranks social order and Mother Teresa Sainthood. Brian37 6 1354 December 19, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Social media and public humilation No_God 10 1736 October 3, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen