Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news ... told by an idiot
Good news ... told by an idiot
Andrew Brown has a piece on the non-believing majority in the UK. However the Grauniad's religiou guru has a long history of denigrating atheism, and is on form today, including such gems as not believing in gods being its own religion and asserting that you are not atheist unless you're cerain there are no gods (mistakenly believing that atheism and agnosticism are points on the one scale).

Enjoy.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: Good news ... told by an idiot
Yeah, the author is a dumbass. No religion is the new religion?

Can people please stop it with that arse-crackery. Not everything is a fucking religion. However, the thrust of the article seems to be good. Most people are moral/liberal, at least in theory, without needing the church as usually claimed.

I expect to see more desperate stunts from the church such as the cinema debacle, and a boat load of whining.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
So, not being sick is an illness ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

While "religion" probably has too many connotations associated with it, I've always thought of atheism sharing some similarity to a religion in that they are both one's take on the nature of existence, upon which you base your beliefs.

But perhaps I've been wrong all along. Rob's "I don't care if there is a God or not" thread, and the number of people who lined up to say they aren't changing no matter what the nature of existence is, throws a wrench in that theory.

That there are people who, no matter what they know/learn reality to be, are going to behave a certain way. I can certainly see why you guys wouldn't want to be likened to religion, as you've got your own thing going. I can't quite figure out what it is, though. Still trying to guess whether it's a real thing, or just being obstinate, because 'take that stupid religion people.'
(January 20, 2016 at 10:43 am)wallym Wrote: While "religion" probably has too many connotations associated with it, I've always thought of atheism sharing some similarity to a religion in that they are both one's take on the nature of existence, upon which you base your beliefs.

But perhaps I've been wrong all along.  Rob's "I don't care if there is a God or not" thread, and the number of people who lined up to say they aren't changing no matter what the nature of existence is, throws a wrench in that theory.

That there are people who, no matter what they know/learn reality to be, are going to behave a certain way.  I can certainly see why you guys wouldn't want to be likened to religion, as you've got your own thing going.  I can't quite figure out what it is, though.  Still trying to guess whether it's a real thing, or just being obstinate, because 'take that stupid religion people.'

In my time here I've noticed a strong sense of individualism and the desire not to be associated with a group. People seem to really value their desire to be the individual that they are rather than conform to outside pressures. I think that is an inevitable result of people embracing free-thought.

Perhaps this "thing going" we have is a bunch of atheists fighting for our individuality?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Because of the negative associations they have from most people's time in a religion?  I guess that makes sense as a motivation, but it seems impractical.  And it fits oddly with the "Us vs. Them" attitude pretty prevalent on these boards.  A group of people brought together by their desire to not be in a group?  Although maybe that makes enough sense.

I'm probably just making the initial point, which is I'm associating a bunch of things with Atheists that I probably shouldn't be.  I do find this subset interesting though.  People who find 'the truth' of it all irrelevant to how they view their relationship with the world.  Whose atheism allegedly isn't a factor in their perspective.  But really, isn't that how most animals behave, I suppose?  You don't see cats or penguins pondering this nonsense.  They just behave as they see fit.  But I'm not sure humans are capable of that, even if they want to believe they are.
I would post a long reply but I have to go out and not play golf
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Ah ha!  See.  That makes you a golfer!
(January 20, 2016 at 11:58 am)wallym Wrote: Because of the negative associations they have from most people's time in a religion?  I guess that makes sense as a motivation, but it seems impractical.  And it fits oddly with the "Us vs. Them" attitude pretty prevalent on these boards.  A group of people brought together by their desire to not be in a group?  Although maybe that makes enough sense.

The "Us vs. Them" mentality is only held by some users here.  There are others that understand that we all have different factors leading us to our beliefs and it's not something that needs to be a dividing line.  You'll find at least a few people here that are even married to believers, myself included. It can be hard to stay away from that mindset, however, when many vocal theists embrace it passionately.

We're not a group of people brought together by desire not to be in a group.  We're a group of people that don't get to meet many like-minded people in our daily lives, and so we hop onto the internet to find some.  It just so happens that many of those people are also strong individualists.

(January 20, 2016 at 11:58 am)wallym Wrote: I'm probably just making the initial point, which is I'm associating a bunch of things with Atheists that I probably shouldn't be.  I do find this subset interesting though.  People who find 'the truth' of it all irrelevant to how they view their relationship with the world.  Whose atheism allegedly isn't a factor in their perspective.  But really, isn't that how most animals behave, I suppose?  You don't see cats or penguins pondering this nonsense.  They just behave as they see fit.  But I'm not sure humans are capable of that, even if they want to believe they are.

Atheism is just one position on one claim, and there are millions of ways to view the world and still be an atheist.  That's why we say it doesn't factor into our perspective.  It's our perspective that led to our atheism.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 20, 2016 at 8:27 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, the author is a dumbass. No religion is the new religion?

Can people please stop it with that arse-crackery. Not everything is a fucking religion. However, the thrust of the article seems to be good. Most people are moral/liberal, at least in theory, without needing the church as usually claimed.

I expect to see more desperate stunts from the church such as the cinema debacle, and a boat load of whining.

The article itself seemed not too unrounded so I wonder if it's just a case of making a provocative title to draw people in.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11526 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  I told my little girl about angels yesterday... Jehanne 44 10752 September 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: mordant
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2712 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3943 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Video Most ignorant thing a Christian has told you Mental Outlaw 64 10729 March 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  An idiot blasting Hitchens. Brian37 13 4624 April 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Easily The Stupidest Thing I've Ever Been Told By A Fellow Atheist BrianSoddingBoru4 6 3469 February 11, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  UK Atheists told to take of Jesus and Mohammed Tshirts downbeatplumb 11 3937 December 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A story my uncle told me about god Lemonvariable72 4 2472 September 8, 2013 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Good news from Belgium Minimalist 7 4009 August 23, 2012 at 10:13 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet