Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apolotetics misusing philosophy?
Apolotetics misusing philosophy?
A while back A saw this video....pretty damn good I must say:

The question: should apologetics be taken seriously within academia?
RE: Apolotetics misusing philosophy?
Hmmmm it's broken for me.  I think I've fixed it, though:

I think this is a very good lecture. We have, collectively, addressed all these things here on AF, but this represents a nice condensed form.
If they freely use logical fallacies, which they generally all do, I see no reason to take them seriously.

Also, if they're trying to establish facts about reality based on just philosophy and no supporting evidence, they should also not be taken seriously.

Thanks for the vid, I'll check it out!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
That is a great video, thank you!

This confirms yet further what a slimy, dishonest weasel WLC is. He knows full well what he's doing, and he hides the fallacies and equivocations behind walls of text and plays both sides seamlessly.

As I predicted, logical fallacies, and philosophy without evidence. That's all apologetics is, and it's why it achieves fuck all except reassuring those who already believe. Oh, and makes him rich. Con artist. He may believe his conclusion, but he knows his methodology is flawed.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I've yet to find any apologist carrying a significant scientific degree. Significant in the sense of actually knowing what they're talking about. I wouldn't enter a stage to speak on Quantum Physics, Astronomy or Evolution. I know my limits.

So, some of the may be some doctor. Doesn't mean their topics are based on what they actually know. They just have read some hand picked books in all probability. If they even done that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Indeed. Not one thing Craig has ever said has any bearing on reality, as far as I'm aware. He is discussing his own imagination.

Index of my best videos
(February 28, 2016 at 10:39 am)abaris Wrote: I've yet to find any apologist carrying a significant scientific degree. Significant in the sense of actually knowing what they're talking about. I wouldn't enter a stage to speak on Quantum Physics, Astronomy or Evolution. I know my limits.

So, some of the may be some doctor. Doesn't mean their topics are based on what they actually know. They just have read some hand picked books in all probability. If they even done that.

Yeah, hat's the problem with reverse engineering an argument.  You just end up with what it would have had to be for you to be right.
I'm happy to "play their game" as the guy in the video puts it. I'll happily take on any apologist, and point out the flaws in their arguments.

But as far as considering them philosophers: no, they are not. They are theologians, which is a field requiring no expertise whatsoever.

Index of my best videos
The silliness of people doing their doctorate thesis on the declarations of fairies in order to obtain such "expertise" should not go unmentioned.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5554 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1432 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1610 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13012 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2640 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4934 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8268 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12043 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2269 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne