Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satan and errors in the Bible
Satan and errors in the Bible
1. Men accidentally corrupted the Bible despite trying not to (example: compare the list in Ezra 2 with the list in Nehemiah 7)
2. Satan is more intelligent and more powerful than any man
3. Satan is motivated to corrupt the Bible
4. ???
5. Satan cannot even corrupt the Bible to the same degree that man has

If you admit that Satan actually has corrupted the Bible, then boy are you in trouble. So premise 4 must be, "God manually prevents Satan from corrupting the Bible."

But then why doesn't God also manually prevent scribes from corrupting the Bible, especially if we can agree that they are probably praying for such divine intervention (John 14:13)? This would not be a vulgar miracle, nor would it be the overriding of free will. I know that some Bibles will be corrupted by man - I could easily type one up myself and change some things - but why has God allowed the corruption of the text to get so bad that there is not a single perfect copy on earth? And how does this reconcile with Psalm 12:6-7?
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
RE: Satan and errors in the Bible
If God and Satan actually exist, I would suspect that Satan didn't just put errors in the bible; he wrote the whole thing.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Satan has corrupted all versions of the Bible

EXCEPT one.  And of course, that one is the one your church uses*.

Jeez, did all the rest of you snooze thru Sunday school ??
Tongue

*Mormons cheat by having King James, the Joseph Smith revised (sort of) Bible, and the Book of Mormon in about 100 different states of revision. And of course they will use them all, and simultaneously deny they are inconsistent with themselves and each other, and will also deny there is more than one version of the BoM, too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Satan, according to the narrative, is a moron. He starts out as one of god's favorite angels. So he has to know the omniscent and omnipotent stuff.

Who, not being totally mental, would rebell against such a being? And why would he play god's torturer afterwards? That's not in his best interest, but we already established that he's an idiot.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
He's no idiot. He knew what a douche the god was, so he rebelled. He said, "Fuck you! I rather be doomed for eternity than serve you!" Then the god made him look like the bad guy. He even tried to educate Adam and Eve by telling them that the god was being selfish by not allowing them to gain wisdom by eating the forbidden fruit. He was just being helpful! Poor dude deserves some street cred.  Rolleyes Hail Satan!
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(March 3, 2016 at 9:24 pm)abaris Wrote: Satan, according to the narrative, is a moron. He starts out as one of god's favorite angels. So he has to know the omniscent and omnipotent stuff.

Who, not being totally mental, would rebell against such a being? And why would he play god's torturer afterwards? That's not in his best interest, but we already established that he's an idiot.

And how incompetent is "god", knowing everything, therefore knowing the angels would rebel, but letting it happen anyway?

Incompetent, or evil and part of its plan?
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 3, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Cecelia Wrote: If God and Satan actually exist, I would suspect that Satan didn't just put errors in the bible;  he wrote the whole thing.

This is the conclusion I came to a while ago. It makes the most sense by a long way (while we're entertaining fantasy).

I did a thread about this, asking how people could tell the difference if Satan and God had actually switched roles. Never got a sensible answer. One guy said he wouldn't care.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 3, 2016 at 4:21 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: 1. Men accidentally corrupted the Bible despite trying not to (example: compare the list in Ezra 2 with the list in Nehemiah 7)
4. ???

If you admit that Satan actually has corrupted the Bible, then boy are you in trouble. So premise 4 must be, "God manually prevents Satan from corrupting the Bible."

But then why doesn't God also manually prevent scribes from corrupting the Bible, especially if we can agree that they are probably praying for such divine intervention (John 14:13)? This would not be a vulgar miracle, nor would it be the overriding of free will. I know that some Bibles will be corrupted by man - I could easily type one up myself and change some things - but why has God allowed the corruption of the text to get so bad that there is not a single perfect copy on earth? And how does this reconcile with Psalm 12:6-7?

1. At this moment I do not have a definitive answer for Ezra and Nehemiah. There are only a small difference in the names and a great deal that are the same, this could be due to people being called by different names, I have a friend I call by his middle name his family uses his first name. Reason when his family moved into the neighborhood I asked his name, was the same as mine asked his middle name and that's what I've called him ever since, many of his friends followed what I call him so he is known by two different names, one person two names. Happens more than you might think. 
2. Satan is more powerful and intelligent than any man who doesn't have Christ as is savior. 2 Cor. 4:4 The god (Satan) of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. Satan misuses the scriptures--- Matt. 4:6-7 "If you are the Son of God," he said, throw yourself down. For it is written: " ' He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, that you will not strike your foot against a stone.' " 7) Jesus answered him, "It is also written: Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' "    Satan misuses the scriptures and leads man to do the same. Notice that Jesus called himself Lord and God. 
3. Satan corrupts the Bible through leading man astray, those foolish enough to believe him. Jesus speaking to the people.  John 8:43-47 Jesus said to them, "Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44) You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out the will of your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45) Yet because I tell the truth you do not believe me! Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I'm telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47) He who belongs to God hears what God says. (notice Jesus calls himself God) The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.
4. What's this confused?
5.Satan is not allowed to mess with the written word of God, Satan is using someone here to try and corrupt God's word. 

Psalm 12 You should have read the entire chapter it really is a short read. This Psalm is about God's promise to protect the righteous from the unrighteous of that day. You really need to understand when you draw a couple of verses out of a chapter you can make whatever you want, your's was a poor attempt though. But then Satan knows this is the only way he can try and corrupt the word of God, using those who don't want to try and understand what God wants to do for man, Satan likes easy prey.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 4, 2016 at 3:17 am)Godschild Wrote: 5.Satan is not allowed to mess with the written word of God, Satan is using someone here to try and corrupt God's word. 

Where did you get this from?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 3, 2016 at 4:21 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: 1. Men accidentally corrupted the Bible despite trying not to (example: compare the list in Ezra 2 with the list in Nehemiah 7)
4. ???

I don't see the contradiction between Neh and Ezra you claim.

I see a identical list of people and a list of towns that do not preclude one another.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helping Satan LinuxGal 10 1562 April 1, 2023 at 5:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 7710 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43908 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Satan's Spy System = SSS Ferrocyanide 5 863 January 13, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Christian author has recording of satan's voice Foxaèr 16 1308 August 2, 2020 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1740 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Satan, anti-christ, false prophet vorlon13 43 8069 November 14, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Dear Satan dyresand 9 2453 April 30, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  What's the future of Catholic Church and Satan? satan_buttercup 179 28715 August 27, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Christans show Jesus is God and not Satan Pizza 83 13483 March 19, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: robvalue