Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life philosophy
Life philosophy
What is your stance regarding the "dangers" of life. What I mean with dangers is e.g eating unhealthy food/living an unhealthy lifestyle that is worse but more satisfying in many cases. We all know that an unhealthy lifestyle has many risks and is bad for the body yet we live them because they're more rewarding in the short term (coke with pizza, no?) Many people who willingly do this say something along the lines "We're all going to die, and it's just a risk so live your life while you can." and "I'd rather live a short fun life rather than a longer but less fun life."

So my question is: How much do you agree with similiar statements/this life philosophy?
RE: Life philosophy
I have no desire to live to 90, so I figure it's better to scrape off a few years of my life with some satisfying, unhealthy living. I want people to look at my corpse and think, "Jesus, that guy had some fun." Of course, I've toned down the self-destruction quite a bit in my older age. I can't party like I used to anymore.

Besides, we could all go at any time. One of the healthiest people I've met that ran a few miles every morning dropped dead of an aneurysm at age 40 on one of his jogs. He spent all that time trying to stay healthy when he could have just been wrecking his liver in entertaining ways.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 20, 2016 at 9:54 am)Faith No More Wrote: I have no desire to live to 90, so I figure it's better to scrape off a few years of my life with some satisfying, unhealthy living.  I want people to look at my corpse and think, "Jesus, that guy had some fun."  Of course, I've toned down the self-destruction quite a bit in my older age.  I can't party like I used to anymore.

Besides, we could all go at any time.  One of the healthiest people I've met that ran a few miles every morning dropped dead of an aneurysm at age 40 on one of his jogs.  He spent all that time trying to stay healthy when he could have just been wrecking his liver in entertaining ways.

I used to think that way until I saw a commercial which compared the healthy people and the unhealthy people in their old ages, it really changed my thinking. The healthy people were happy, energetic, running around with their grandchildren while the unhealthy ones were lying down, tired, being fed by their grandchildren. I don't want to be the latter :<
(April 20, 2016 at 10:01 am)RozKek Wrote: I used to think that way until I saw a commercial which compared the healthy people and the unhealthy people in their old ages, it really changed my thinking. The healthy people were happy, energetic, running around with their grandchildren while the unhealthy ones were lying down, tired, being fed by their grandchildren. I don't want to be the latter :<

Well, I don't want to be either. Put a bullet in me if I reach 70. I've struggled with severe depression my entire adult life, so I'll have lived enough by then. The fight takes too much out of me to prolong the whole thing beyond that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Every rational person wants to be happy. Most of us confuse happiness with pleasure alone, some of us confuse happiness with other things. Whether your life is long or short, constantly searching for what truly fulfills all of your human desires, and continuously getting better and better at fulfilling more and more of them will lead you to happiness. It will also bring a great deal of profound pleasure, much more than when pleasure is sought for its own sake.
(April 20, 2016 at 10:01 am)RozKek Wrote: I used to think that way until I saw a commercial which compared the healthy people and the unhealthy people in their old ages, it really changed my thinking. The healthy people were happy, energetic, running around with their grandchildren while the unhealthy ones were lying down, tired, being fed by their grandchildren. I don't want to be the latter :<

If you're able to lead healthy life, you're already one of the privileged. Poor people don't have that luxury. They have to eat whatever comes cheap, can't do all that fitness crap and have less chance of even leading a long life, because the health system is rigged against them.

Overall I'm with Faith on the matter. Better to do what rocks your boat instead of constantly watching yourself in everything you do.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I just go for a reasonable balance. Try to be fairly healthy, but not at the cost of life sucking.

I've had enough of life already, but I will certainly have had enough of it by the age of 70 / 80 / whatever. But I matter to some people, and so being reckless with my health isn't fair on them. So I look after myself.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think a lot of people are willing to take risks because it's that "other guy" in the future who will suffer for it. Fuck that guy, I'm trying to have fun!

Seriously, though, nothing feels better than NOT making stupid decisions, and realizing-- hey, I'm in a pretty good position because of the things I've done in the past few years.
I go to the gym at least once a week, I have regular veg and fruit smoothies.

I don't agree with eating shit for myself because when I eat chocolate, drink caffeine, alcohol, smoke or eat anything very fatty or have a lack of sleep my heart tends to skip beats which scares the shit out of me.

Living the way I do just comes naturally to me now, I've always liked exercise and been pretty vain about my body though. Not to the extent of using steroids of weight loss pills, that would be as bad for my heart as chocolate and alcohol probably.  Just to the extent of having fairly good muscle tone.

My biggest vice is sex which I am very reckless about and STDs can be a risk.  This is why I try and not to be too judgmental about other people's vices, I get how it feels when something is on offer in front of you and your primitive brain kicks in so you grab it.  I do have a tough time understand morbid obesity though, I work with a woman who's extremely obese who still eats chocolate and drinks energy drinks.  Just trying to walk properly and not being able to surely must be a constant reminder that your lifestyle is wrong.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(April 20, 2016 at 10:09 am)Faith No More Wrote:

Well, I don't want to be either.  Put a bullet in me if I reach 70.  I've struggled with severe depression my entire adult life, so I'll have lived enough by then.  The fight takes too much out of me to prolong the whole thing beyond that.

Fk man, sorry that you have to go through that shit. Hopefully you'll get good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5103 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1346 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3414 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1542 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12354 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2559 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4880 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8186 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11647 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2259 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne