Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I watched Lord of the Rings for the first time and....
So I watched Lord of the Rings for the first time and....
....my god is it boring. I barely finished the first one but wanted to get through the trilogy. I fell asleep halfway through the second and gave up. Can somebody explain the big deal about these movies? Frodo is boring, Gandalf basically creates deus ex machinas in the form of birds and, uh, coming back from the dead, Sean Bean's death was both expected and not emotional in the slightest.....I don't know. Any time there's CGI I can't take the movie seriously (see: Gandalf vs giant black death demon thing with a whip lol)

I probably disliked them so much because I hate fantasy. I know, I know, I'm a Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones buff, but the reason I like ASOIAF is because it's fantasy if it were a little more realistic. Maybe Tolkein was the one who created all the fantasy tropes, but I just hated watching it. It's funny because I actually watched The Hobbit in theaters, which people claim was way worse than any of the LotR movies, but I actually found the Hobbit films to be the better made films. I don't know why the LotR films are held in such high esteem. I'll give credit to the originality of the story, but that's the books not the films. The films just aren't particularly amazing like everyone made them out to be
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: So I watched Lord of the Rings for the first time and....
For their time, they're pretty amazing. Also, I have a sense you'd like them more if you read the books first, which I did, as a kid, numerous times.
(April 26, 2016 at 11:29 pm)Aegon Wrote: Maybe Tolkein was the one who created all the fantasy tropes,

Tolkien also was a philologist and linguist who developed entire languages for his LOTR universe. You, on the other hand, can't even be bothered to spell his name correctly.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm a huge fan of the novels, and I thought the three LOTR films were very well done, considering the inherent difficulties involved. The Hobbit films, on the other hand, were so divergent from the book that I had a hard time with the first one, and never made it through the second two. I'm sure they were fine as stand-alone films, but they bore so little resemblance to the book that I found them unsatisfying. I suppose this is what happens when you try to get eight hours of film out of a 300 page novel.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I never even watched The Hobbit movies. Not even interested.
I watched two of them and made a mental note to myself to not waste my time watching anymore again.  I don't remember much about them except they were way too long and full of long scenes that are supposed to be emotional that I just didn't find emotional.

I'd love to see a dungeons and dragons style film where it was more for adults and more good guys died, it wasn't so clear cut who the good or bad guys are sometimes with more sex and violence.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

TSQ will be by to flog you shortly.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I read LOTR multiple times, as a child/teenager and the movies seemed... uhm... acceptable, from my point of view, although I had low expectations to begin with, because I didn't think the Hollywood format could in any way enrich my appreciation of Tolkien's work. But I can see how someone can find the movies outright boring, especially if they haven't read the books, came in with built up expectations, due to all the hype and are familiar with the generic fantasy tropes, many of which were established by Tolkien.

I have pretty much the same view of Star Wars - I didn't watch those movies as a kid, but I kept hearing about them and I had seen a lot of stuff that was influenced by them, so when I actually watched them as an adult - they kinda looked like just another dumb 80's space-adventure. I find SW more interesting as a cultural phenomenon, than a story, or a universe. For example - I still haven't seen Ep. VII and all I remember from the prequels is that the kid becomes Darth Vader for some reason, but I massively enjoy watching people rave/rage about those movies...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
[Image: blasphemer31.jpg]

Those movies failed utterly to deliver the size of the world, the scope of the adventure, the majesty of the eagles that do things in their own way... and soo many other details that delight the book fans...

Enjoy this:

[quote='Aegon' pid='1260460' dateline='1461727781'
I probably disliked them so much because I hate fantasy.
[/quote]

I hate romantic comedies. So guess what ? I don't watch romantic comedies (unless it's not my turn to choose "we watched star trek/xmen/avengers.... last time.Oh look! this ones got Jennifer Anniston in it!) Not watch them and moan.
If you don't like fantasy films, don't watch them, then say you didn't like it.
Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lord Of The Cops, 50 Shades of Bad Ass. Brian37 28 1869 October 15, 2020 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  It's the sport of kings, better than diamond rings Brian37 4 1092 November 10, 2017 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Brian37
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6012 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B
  "Logan" is the first Marvel movie I'm interested in seeing since the first Avengers Aegon 30 4537 March 19, 2017 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Just watched Late Night w/ Steven Colbert and... Goosebump 1 575 April 6, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Anime I've Watched Mechaghostman2 1 1099 February 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: NaughtyButNice
Video So I watched Martyrs last night... Aractus 0 570 November 24, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  last movie you watched 2 paulpablo 57 6665 December 29, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: StuW