Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe
Bug 
Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe
Hello to everyone (I have seen a post that is like this one but the forum adviced me to create another thread since that one was too old).

This matter "worried" me most when I was an atheist. I deeply believe that God created ex-nihilo the universe and I find it correct due to a number of reasons, but in this thread I am interested in speaking only naturalistically, in order to consider if actually the atheist cosmology is plausible now that I have a better understanding of the world and to eventually find a solution to this struggle that my atheist friends now (and myself many years ago) have. According to the Wikipedia: "The Big Bang is a scientific theory about how the universe started, and then made the groups of stars (called galaxies) we see today. The universe began as very hot, small, and dense, with no stars, atoms, form, or structure (called a "singularity"). Then about 14 billion years ago, space expanded very quickly (thus the name "Big Bang"), resulting in the formation of atoms, which eventually led to the creation of stars and galaxies. The universe is still expanding today, but getting colder as well.", and this is what I believed. But my main question is, since: "The universe began as very hot, small, and dense, with no stars, atoms, form, or structure (called a "singularity"). Then about 14 billion years ago, space expanded very quickly", since the universe actually began, where did it begin from? The universe is all we know for sure (and sometimes not even for sure), but how can something exist outside the universe? Where was this very hot, small and dense structure since the universe "didn't happen" yet?

Thank you, and I remind that I would want this thread to remain naturalistic, without interference from any kind of religion account.
"Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ, our God"
 - Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

[Image: ixs081.png]
RE: Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe
As an atheist I don't care how everything started. I don't think anyone will ever know.
Even if they did it would neither prove nor disprove god.
What did God exist within before creating the universe?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I don't know. (Best answer, I win!)
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
That question is the subject of much debate. However, since it is apparent from physics that what we perceive as "time" is in fact a dimension connected to the others, functioning as interconnected with them, there is no such thing as "before" the Big Bang, since time as a term would become meaningless. So when someone says it "began", they're referring to the start of time.

However, we cannot know (or do not yet know) whether there was some other factor causing time or anything else to exist outside the Singularity, independent of it. We would have to invent whole new maths to even ponder that question (physicists have overtly said so), and frankly, I think it's only of passing interest to science, for now, since we're still trying to figure out our own universe-- from Dark Matter/Energy to the Higgs Boson to the problem of completing the Theory of Everything.

On the other hand, I hear theists mention this question a lot, and seem to consider the start of the universe some sort of proof for God, even though it's child's play to show that the Cosmological Argument makes entirely too many assumptions to even begin to demonstrate that the concept we humans call "God" is necessary or plausible.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(May 1, 2016 at 8:13 pm)Wryet Wrote: ... in order to consider if actually the atheist cosmology is plausible ...

What you're asking about is scientific cosmology.  I assume that many Christians accept this cosmology.  And I also assume that many atheists don't.

Quote:... since the universe actually began, where did it begin from?

I don't know whether it began: 
  • Asimov said it began at the big bang, but then he immediately hedged by saying something like, "Or at least we can _call_ that the beginning, since we don't know what happened before that." 
  • Hawking made the same move in _A Brief History of Time_.
  • I went onto campus to find a cosmologist to put this question to.  When I found one, he said, "Nobody knows what happened before the big bang.  Nobody knows what happened before the big bang.  Nobody knows what happened before the big bang."    
So I'm not in a position to have an opinion on whether the universe really began, at the big bang or otherwise.

To ask where the big bang "came from" is the same as saying that the universe didn't really begin then.  

In any case, if you can't explain where your gods came from, then you're in no position look down on those who can't explain where the rest of the universe came from.  

Quote:The universe is all we know for sure (and sometimes not even for sure), but how can something exist outside the universe? Where was this very hot, small and dense structure since the universe "didn't happen" yet?

If you can't answer those questions about your gods, then you shouldn't feel any better than the rest of us.  

If you want to smugly challenge people to answer a question, it should be a question you can answer yourself.   

Saying, "You people can't answer this question any better than I can," doesn't make you superior.  

Quote:Thank you, and I remind that I would want this thread to remain naturalistic, without interference from any kind of religion account.

Your whole point is that religion provides better answers.  You can't prove that without religion.  You can't prove it at all, but you can't even try to prove it without religion.  

Imagine this conversation:

Christian: "My car is better than yours, because your car is an ugly brown."

Atheist: "Oh, yeah?  Well your car is an ugly brown too."

Christian: "I remind you that this discussion is to remain about your car, without interference from any kind of mention of my car."  

In order for your argument to weigh more than zero on the scales of persuasion, you have to show that theists have a better cosmology than scientists.  You can't do that while leaving religion out of it.  

[/quote]
It hasn't been concluded whether or not the universe had a beginning. It's an open question, as far as I'm aware.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Our universe, and everything we think we know about it started the instant Kevin pressed "Enter" on his sim called:

Earth~beta-ver.0.9c(©@UniversesR-US™).exe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Are we even gonna bring up the fact that this is already an argument from ignorance in the making, or are waiting until he actually makes it?

Also, what the hell is "atheist cosmology"? Atheism only concerns whether any gods exist. It has nothing to do with cosmology. There is no such thing as atheist cosmology.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Yeah, I mentioned that previously. There is no "atheist" anything. It seems that was an airball from me.

People make a lot of assumptions about atheists. Even assuming they are naturalists is incorrect.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16286 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5090 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1157 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 400 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2455 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1850 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Inflation without a beginning: a null boundary proposal Jehanne 7 923 May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6202 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3895 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5938 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet