Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosque at Ground Zero
Mosque at Ground Zero
There is a political and emotional controversy regarding an Islamic Center and Mosque that is going to be built near or at ground zero.

Many relatives of the 9/11 victims are outraged, believing it's an insult to the victims and a victory sign. Many reputable organizations came out against. When I first heard it I had a gut reaction much like theirs. However, I couldn't help but feel my gut reaction was wrong and luckily Mayor Bloomberg laid it all out perfectly.

Mayor Bloomberg Wrote:We may not always agree with every one of our neighbors. That's life and it's part of living in such a diverse and dense city. But we also recognize that part of being a New Yorker is living with your neighbors in mutual respect and tolerance. It was exactly that spirit of openness and acceptance that was attacked on 9/11,

Let us not forget that Muslims were among those murdered on 9/11 and that our Muslim neighbors grieved with us as New Yorkers and as Americans. We would betray our values - and play into our enemies' hands - if we were to treat Muslims differently than anyone else. In fact, to cave to popular sentiment would be to hand a victory to the terrorists - and we should not stand for that.
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/03...69395.html
Includes video of the speech.

Essentially, I agree with the Mayor. I believe firmly in the 1st Amendment and as such I have no reason to stand against the Mosque being built.

What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree, and why?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Mosque at Ground Zero
IMO, I agree with Mayor Bloomberg. I think that being able to show the world that America in general and New Yorkers in particular are able to accept and live along side those of differing religious beliefs is a sign of strength, not a sign of victory for the scum that brought the trade centre down.
The city will lose the tax revenue generated by converting the property to religious purposes. Now, if all of these fuckers were taxed on the value of their property just like everyone else, I wouldn't care what they did with it. They could build a temple to Ishtar and fill it with Holy Hookers...I might even be inclined to visit that one!
I was always on the side of the Muslims. The entire campaign against the mosque is built on lies. They claimed it would open on 9/11, that it would sound the call to prayer which would be heard at Ground Zero, and a number of other crazy things.

LatumWay made a great video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Pg9ioyCCA
Min, I agree about the tax issues. I wish EVERY religious building paid taxes.

Adrian, I reserved a conclusive opinion till I heard Bloomberg. I knew I was missing all the facts. Being in Baltimore made me miss a lot of the controversy and information.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Yeah, El. I wasn't only picking on the towel-heads either. Start with St. Pat's and tax every one those dens of iniquity out of business if possible!
I'd have to agree with Mayor Bloomberg (and like everyone else I think all religions should be taxed, but that's not really the issue here.) okay, now that I washed that video I don't think I have anything to add. Oh, except that if it's not allowed to be built it will be used by the extremists/terrorists as another way to recruit people.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Just found another great video about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPxBrtrH1c
I agree with the rest of you. I have no problem with the building of this Mosque (or any other) and think that Bloomberg summed it up nicely. I also agree with you guys on the tangent issue of tax exemption for churches. Perhaps I could see giving exempt status to charity organizations, but not to the churches that run them.
I think this is the stupidest debate ever. OF COURSE they should be allowed to build a mosque near Ground Zero. I don't think it's offending at all. It's not like there WEREN'T Muslim victims of 9-11. That's as stupid as saying a church shouldn't be built being near the Virginia Tech campus because Cho Sung Wi was a Christian and he compared himself to Jesus Christ.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 240 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Billions for Billionaires and Zero for Workers Minimalist 19 809 September 6, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Palestinians Wave Nazi Flag over Mosque cratehorus 12 5730 May 25, 2013 at 5:05 am
Last Post: cratehorus
  Is there no middle ground with guns? TaraJo 0 786 January 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Stick a Fork Into the Ground 2 Miles outside Lebanon KS lilyannerose 20 6139 December 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Mishka