Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apparently I need to hope I don't ever get robbed according to gun nuts
Apparently I need to hope I don't ever get robbed according to gun nuts
Was arguing with some gun nuts on gun control and they were saying how they wouldn't bother to save me. lmao

For one I can defend myself without a gun. I do actually have a gun in my home. 

But where do these gun nuts get this idea of saving the day with their guns? It's been proven that they'd most likely be freezing up in such a situation.
RE: Apparently I need to hope I don't ever get robbed according to gun nuts
I'm not a gun nut, but I certainly hope I never get robbed.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 13, 2016 at 3:26 am)GoHalos1993 Wrote: [...]But where do these gun nuts get this idea of saving the day with their guns?[...]

The movies, of course. Hollywood has been glorifying guns for close to a century now.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I've been robbed, on the job, twice -- once at knife-point, once at gun-point. In the latter case, I had direct and easy access to a loaded .357, and chose not to use it -- no sense in killing another man for another man's money, y'know?

But I can tell you this: thinking straight while you're looking at the wrong end of a gun ain't easy. I've lived in some rough neighborhoods, and never felt the need to carry anything beyond my wits. An alert brain is the best defense for me.

I do want to get a shotgun where I am now -- I live out in the country with critters that can sometimes be dangerous, and 45 minutes from help.

But people? I can reason with them, run from them, or fight back with what's at hand. I'll take my chances.

I don't want to harp on this, but I have been reviewing what happened the other week when I woke up to police flashlights in my face. If I'd had easy, perhaps constitutional, access to guns, it's probable I would have had one in reach. The police would be similarly tooled as a matter of course and would have been prepared for me to 'defend' myself in an extremely confused home invasion scenario. I would probably never even have had chance to do more than reach for my gun before I became next morning's headline.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You're more likely to get shot by someone you know than a home invader. The Defensive Gun Use site struggles to find examples of DGU while it's not a problem to find daily gun misuse events.
(June 13, 2016 at 3:26 am)GoHalos1993 Wrote: Was arguing with some gun nuts on gun control and they were saying how they wouldn't bother to save me. lmao

There's something both lovely and awful about how quickly the "only good guys with guns can beat the bad guys with guns," rhetoric cedes to petty, punitive threats in the face of even mild dissent that persists. These people are up there casting themselves as the guardians of society, protecting us all, but whoops, you disagree with them, so all the high minded talk of heroics stops, and the real reason comes out: you want to put limitations on their gun ownership, which their pride doesn't like because it's so bound up in this knowledge that if they wanted to they could hurt someone. It's about having the guns, not the use they keep asserting they'd put them to.

That's sort of the problem in general, is that the most ardently gun loving "patriots" are also all about retributive inaction or hostility for anyone having the temerity to live outside of their pre-approved lifestyle. The ones who go on loudest about how they'd use their guns to protect society are the last trustworthy ones to do so.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
You really want to get them chewing the carpet? Just say "penis surrogate". (And there may be a pause in there while they Google "surrogate". (And a longer pause if you have to explain it to them because they can't figure out Google.))*

*This is from experience with my gun nut cousins and is not meant in jest of any fashion.
Quote: But where do these gun nuts get this idea of saving the day with their guns?

Rambo fantasies.  They so want to be "heroes."
(June 13, 2016 at 12:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: But where do these gun nuts get this idea of saving the day with their guns?

Rambo fantasies.  They so want to be "heroes."

And the chance to kill another human and "get away with it."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 4000 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Another Gun Thread Foxaèr 254 18910 September 29, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Apparently 600 million people voted for Trump.. A Godzilla fan 6 934 October 5, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6188 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1643 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 8068 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  When FOX Fires Shep Smith I Hope MSNBC Hires Him Minimalist 2 503 August 2, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Joods
  Just Don't Get Sick! Minimalist 6 850 June 19, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Donald Trump robbed Saudi Arabia; again xD WinterHold 4 845 March 25, 2018 at 2:59 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  White House Gun Meeting Foxaèr 23 2138 March 1, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama