Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians, what is it like to have a personal relationship with Jesus?
Christians, what is it like to have a personal relationship with Jesus?
Ok, since I keep noticing that Christians (Evangelical Christians, particularly) tend to doubt that a former Christian was truly a Christian, arguing that the former Christian never truly knew Jesus and never truly had a relationship with him, then what does it mean for someone to have a true relationship with Jesus?

Detail for us all what your relationship with Jesus is like, and what makes you know that you are in such a relationship? Be as specific as can be. Avoid vagueness. Thank you.
RE: Christians, what is it like to have a personal relationship with Jesus?
[Image: 000.jpg]
[Image: wYGwbmD.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m9ddebZf6n1qzvl4eo1_1280.png]
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(July 14, 2016 at 1:39 am)Irrational Wrote: Ok, since I keep noticing that Christians (Evangelical Christians, particularly) tend to doubt that a former Christian was truly a Christian, arguing that the former Christian never truly knew Jesus and never truly had a relationship with him, then what does it mean for someone to have a true relationship with Jesus?

Detail for us all what your relationship with Jesus is like, and what makes you know that you are in such a relationship? Be as specific as can be. Avoid vagueness. Thank you.

We as Muslims are taught to have a relationship with Jesus pbuh as respect of him being not only one of, but after our Prophet Muhammad pbuh, Prophet Jesus pbuh is one of God's mightiest messengers. We are taught to respect ALL of God's prophets and messengers from the first, Adam, all the way to the last Muhammad pbut all. However unlike Christians we only worship God Allah alone, holding no equals or partners with Him. So bottom line there is a limit to the relationship we have with Jesus pbuh as well as all of God's other prophets pbut all
I made a thread a while ago here about relationships with deities in general, it may be of interest for this thread.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My relationship with Jesus is much like my relationship with Justin Bieber: I don't think about him at all, and I wish other people would belt up about him.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 14, 2016 at 1:39 am)Irrational Wrote: Ok, since I keep noticing that Christians (Evangelical Christians, particularly) tend to doubt that a former Christian was truly a Christian, arguing that the former Christian never truly knew Jesus and never truly had a relationship with him, then what does it mean for someone to have a true relationship with Jesus?

...The Holy Spirit actually..

Jesus, is in Heaven. He went back so the Father would sent us the Holy Spirit. This is what Jesus said we should A/S/K for. In that the Holy Spirit of God is what we have been offered/have access to.

The Holy Spirit if first manifest in us through Spiritual fruit. (As a grape vine can not produce figs, nor a weed produce olives, we each produce 'fruit' after our own nature. If we have the gift of the Holy Spirit then we will produce fruit that is consistant with the Holy Spirit.)

Gal5:22
22 But the fruit that the Spirit produces in a person’s life is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control.

Then if we follow the Spirit (Are faith to these fruit we have been given) we may receive a spiritual gift. Everyone in the Spirit receives Spiritual fruit, but Spiritual gift are often different and unique.

1 cor 12 is a whole chapter dedicated to the different gifts and how we should use and view them.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=ERV

Personally speaking I have been given either wisdom or just a direct line to the Spirit, in that I have all of my questions answered. It's kinda like having access to a Godly version of google. I wouldn't call someone who knows how to use google wise.. just fortunate. I was given this gift some time ago and sought out to answer other people's questions as all of mine were answered. In short I was faithful to what god has given me, and He has blessed me by allowing this gift to spill over into all other aspects of my life.

This is both a blessing and a curse. as sometimes people who have spent most of their lives trying to serve God in a way that comes naturally to me tend to over look the simplicity but solid answers I've been given. At the same time I also find myself struggling to remind myself it is not me that produces these answers but the access I've been given to God's "google."

Despite my abrasive nature and low tolerance for people mocking what they do not fully understand I think I have found an acceptable balance, and I seek to share what God has given me.

Other ways this gift has affected me, is I have traded my 'faith' for understanding and belief. I planted my mustard seed and it grew into a large 'tree' of belief. In other words I do not have to have faith to know God's word is true I've seen it play out via promises kept. This translates into an iron clad system of belief.
If I'm going to have a personal relationship with a deity, it's going to be  Antinous . . .

[Image: 0024MAN-Antinous.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If his word is true, if he really had loved me like it says in the bible, then letting me be physically and sexually abused for years (cause you know, he knew it was going to happen, could have stopped it and chose not to) was truly my fault. Clearly I must have deserved it. At age seven.

God is a motherfucker.
Also, he's an asshole.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
What is your relationship to Truth? What is your relationship with what is Good? Are these real to you or just convenient fictions? As for me, I believe they are real and that belief affects my life in a very deep and personal way. And so it follows that since Jesus Christ is the full actualization of what is Good and True, I have a personal relationship with Him. Does that make sense to you?

(FWIW I consider the this way of stating it as just a more philosophical way and without the "churchspeak" manner that Drich used above.)
Lol.

You can have truth and good in your life without an imaginary sky daddy to believe in.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5319 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3671 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Do we have any female Christians left? If not, anyone is welcome to comment. Losty 34 3355 May 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4362 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7782 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1396 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 6974 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  OK, Christians! I have my KJV! chimp3 166 30617 April 12, 2018 at 11:21 am
Last Post: He lives
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5379 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14905 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm