Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please don't, it kills
Please don't, it kills
Monday I lost the youngest of the youth I had in a previous church. He was without a doubt a very good friend, I've not been able to sleep very well, was kinda' like losing a family member. I raised him, his older brother and sister spiritually and now I wonder why he died the way he did. When I was active in the lives of this youth group I lost my oldest youth in a car wreck, my oldest and youngest are gone and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I know God will help me understand in time. Now this is enough about me I want to pass on what this young man of 22 told me a few days before he died, I know he would be pleased that you were able to hear this.
 My friend became a different person a few years ago, his papaw died, a man he looked up to with the greatest of respect and then within a couple of months he was diagnosed with diabetes, not sure why this changed him so, he never explained why. Within a couple of years he was doing drugs, his family put him into those short term addiction clinics with no lasting results. Finally they decided they couldn't take it anymore, he was stealing from them and even their friends, so it was get into a good long term help program or go live on your own, he did that he left home. Within months he realized the drugs were going to eventually kill him so he wanted help, I called my niece and she found a good Teen Challenge program in western Kentucky, so I took him there. I wouldn't allow his family to take him because I knew he would talk them out of it on the way, and he knew I wouldn't listen to his sad little stories. He stayed the full year, he was clean and doing well, came home got a job and was doing fine. Well then he found a girl friend and eventually her and her friends tempted him enough that he started drugs again, this time running them. Well a few years later and his abuse of his family by stealing from them including his 4 year old nephew, the thief charges  against him he was off to western Kentucky but this time to be able to run his meth without worrying about having to steal from his family. He met a very nice older couple up there that took him in and gave him a job, well he abused them like he had everyone else just for something that was killing him. Well Monday this young man who was 6'3" and use to be a good athlete died weighing  less than 100 lbs. with his needles scattered all over the room, sad ending for a kid who was so good before he changed. He told me a few days before he died he wish people could know his story so they could see how meth destroys lives and that just maybe it would help someone to save their life. If anyone here is in trouble with any drug he will tell you please quit don't become me.
 I did not write this for anyone to respond to, I wrote it to give some meaning to a young life that was cut short because of a weakness I can't even imagine and he couldn't understand. Please no kudos, instead please listen to a tragic story and find help if you are in trouble.

From my heart GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
RE: Please don't, it kills
We disagree on many things, GC.

My condolences to you.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm sorry about your friend, GC.
Sorry to hear that, GC.
Condolences, G-C.

It does sound as if you did all you could.
It's the tragedy of addiction today, and it's nearly everywhere. I am so sorry for your pain and loss, GC.

I hope one day we as a society can invest in ourselves and treat addiction like the disease it is. I feel for you.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've had my own troubles and known so many others. I sympathize.

I'll say this to anyone who has never struggled with addiction: You don't know what it's like. You can't. You might be able to imagine an approximation but without experiencing it, you can't really know what a demon it is. You just don't have a point of reference. And I say that as one with a relatively mild addiction to alcohol. I'm out of control but it isn't that bad. I go through periods of drinking more than I should and in times of stress it can really rear its ugly head but I beat it down most of the time. It's a negative influence on my life but not all that bad. It's manageable. Now people like GC's friend, I don't know what it's like for them because as much as I've experienced the demon of addiction, it's never had anywhere near that powerful effect on me. People like that are victims - pure and simple. Perhaps they could have avoided their fate had they made the right decisions but they didn't understand what they were up against. Until YOU are addicted, you just don't get it.

There was a terrible episode (IMHO) of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation which dealt with this. It was about two civilizations in a single star system where one planet (the entire population) was addicted to drugs and the other were drug pushers. A young Wesley Crusher voices his misunderstanding about why one would use a drug when they know it will ruin them. Security officer Tasha Yar (who had a very difficult childhood and young adulthood) explains that at first, you take it because it makes you feel good. But it's insidious. Before long, your not taking it to feel good. You need it to avoid feeling bad. Most Star Trek fans consider it an absolutely cringe-worthy scene - the worst example of preaching. But based on my experience, I would bet everything I own that whoever wrote the dialog for that scene had his or her own experience with addiction because what the Tasha Yar character said absolutely nails it. It starts off as something that makes you feel good and progresses to something you can't do without to avoid feeling bad. It progresses to that point stealthily. You never see it coming. Then it has you by the balls and you are helpless against it.

https://youtu.be/3K6n-QFm7Pc
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
My condolences. I'm very sorry to hear that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm very sorry for your loss GC! I can't offer much in the way of smart analysis.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

You have my sympathies, GC. Addiction is a ruthless motherfucker, and takes no prisoners.

May you and his family be able to make peace with his tragic decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 204 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1141 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2943 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2242 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Gentlebeings, a salute, please. Gawdzilla Sama 13 1223 July 31, 2018 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Please help me understand this Indian "law" Alexmahone 18 2393 July 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Help! If You Hsbr sn iPhone, iPad, iPod or Mac Please Do Me a Favor Rhondazvous 2 480 April 17, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Please help? Longhorn 16 2994 January 9, 2018 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A little advice on a family matter please NuclearEnergy 6 1135 August 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please Do Me a Favor Rhondazvous 15 1446 March 4, 2017 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Sterben