Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple faces €13bn Tax Bill in Ireland
Apple faces €13bn Tax Bill in Ireland
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799

Quote:Ireland should recover up to €13bn (£11bn) from Apple in back taxes, the European Commission has ruled.

After a three-year investigation, it has concluded that the US firm's Irish tax benefits are illegal.

The Commission said Ireland enabled the company to pay substantially less than other businesses, in effect paying a corporate tax rate of no more than 1%.

0.005% I believe according to tax experts (cited in the article).
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Apple faces €13bn Tax Bill in Ireland
(August 30, 2016 at 1:46 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799

Quote:Ireland should recover up to €13bn (£11bn) from Apple in back taxes, the European Commission has ruled.

After a three-year investigation, it has concluded that the US firm's Irish tax benefits are illegal.

The Commission said Ireland enabled the company to pay substantially less than other businesses, in effect paying a corporate tax rate of no more than 1%.

Of course our glorious leader has announced many times that he's going to fight this ruling tooth and nail. The good of a multinational tax evader is naturally more important than the good of 4.6m people.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is a cunt of a company.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(August 31, 2016 at 8:32 am)Aractus Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apple is a cunt of a company.

And why's that?
Because they flout the law, like this: Link

And they don't pay tax in Australia. Any company that doesn't pay its fair share of tax - Microsoft, Apple, Google - is a cunt of a company, but Apple is by far the worst. At least Microsoft and Google didn't refuse to honour Australian consumer law (statutory warranties, now consumer guarantees which all products and services are covered by under the consumer law).
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(August 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(August 30, 2016 at 1:46 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799

Of course our glorious leader has announced many times that he's going to fight this ruling tooth and nail. The good of a multinational tax evader is naturally more important than the good of 4.6m people.

Actually,  what seems to be missed here is the apple's not paying taxes is not culpably illegal.  Irish government, after all, should be the authority to which Apple look to clarify the legality of its tax situation.

It is the Irish government that did a illegal thing, under obligations it committed to by joining the EU, by allowing Apple to pay effectively no taxes.

So the party at fault here is not Apple.
(August 31, 2016 at 9:44 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(August 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote: Of course our glorious leader has announced many times that he's going to fight this ruling tooth and nail. The good of a multinational tax evader is naturally more important than the good of 4.6m people.

Actually,  what seems to be missed here is the apple's not paying taxes is not culpably illegal.  Irish government, after all, should be the authority to which Apple look to clarify the legality of its tax situation.

It is the Irish government that did a illegal thing, under obligations it committed to by joining the EU, by allowing Apple to pay effectively no taxes.

Actually, by agreeing to the tax arrangement, and in fact lobbying for it, Apple are at best an accessory to the breach of European law and more likely at least as guilty as the Irish politicians. Or do you think this happened without the knowledge, concent and gleeful participation by Apple?

Home
(August 31, 2016 at 10:26 am)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(August 31, 2016 at 9:44 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Actually,  what seems to be missed here is the apple's not paying taxes is not culpably illegal.  Irish government, after all, should be the authority to which Apple look to clarify the legality of its tax situation.

Actually, by agreeing to the tax arrangement, and in fact lobbying for it, Apple are at best an accessory to the breach of European law and more likely at least as guilty as the Irish politicians. Or do you think this happened without the knowledge, concent and gleeful participation by Apple?

Apple is an accessory to knowing its own best interest.   If it weren't it would have been out of business in the 1970s. Pursuing its own best interest within the full range of freedoms afforded it by prevailing regulatory authority it is what it does. It has no legal responsibility to second guess the range of freedom to pursue its self interest provided to it by the government of Ireland.    The government of Ireland is responsible for knowing the degree to which Apple can pursue its own best interest without harming the greater interest of Ireland and Irish commitment to the EU.  Not knowing that is culpable incompetence.
(August 31, 2016 at 12:04 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: Apple is an accessory to knowing its own best interest.   If it weren't it would have been out of business in the 1970s.   Pursuing its own best interest within the full range of freedoms afforded it by prevailing regulatory authority it is what it does.   It has no legal responsibility to second guess the range of freedom to pursue its self interest provided to it by the government of Ireland.    The government of Ireland is responsible for knowing the degree to which Apple can pursue its own best interest without harming the greater interest of Ireland and Irish commitment to the EU.  Not knowing that is culpable incompetence.

This defence wouldn't cut it in a murder case, so why should it cut it in a tax case? Apple knowingly underpaid its taxes through diverting money it earned in countries where it had no special arrangements with the government towards a country where it did have this special arrangement. It did not arrive at this special arrangement through the sole agency of the government of Ireland but through fierce lobbying, political donations and all those other arrangements we call regulatory capture because bribery is such a nasty word.

If that's not guilt and criminal behaviour, we might as well get rid of all law.

Home
"I called last year and the man said I didn't owe anything"
-that guy was wrong, I don't know why he said that, you do.
"But he said..."
-Imma stop you right there.

Apple engaged in tax evasion. They'll settle for a smaller sum, like they always do.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florida teacher faces investigation for playing Disney movie zebo-the-fat 5 560 May 17, 2023 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2591 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I Think Bill Maher Lied CarveTheFive 23 1369 May 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1275 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Harriett Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill Fake Messiah 141 6465 January 27, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson BrianSoddingBoru4 31 1642 July 23, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If the Fed can print an unlimited amount of money, why does anybody need to pay tax? ignoramus 12 943 April 24, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 745 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  KKK in Northern Ireland? Duty 39 2437 October 30, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 557 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama