Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with technical problem
Help with technical problem
I got a new laptop recently, a hp with reasonable specs for £300 or so.

It's mainly running fine, but I find that when I use browsers, scrolling up and down is really laggy. I grab the scroll bar and it moves for a bit, then it locks in position as if it has to load more of the page. Then it moves a bit more, then locks again. Even my old crappy laptops were far better than this.

I hate Windows 10. I guess it's probably something to do with this, although my old laptop eventually got W10 forced on it but still didn't have have this problem.

Anyone have any suggestions please? I'm currently using Chrome, as I have for many years. I turned off "pinch zoom" along with many other useless gestures with the touchpad. It really does seem to be to do with loading the webpages, but why is this a problem? This computer is way more powerful than my last one.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Help with technical problem
I only use Chrome when some site doesn't like the combo I use for firefox addons...
But you may want to try this fix: http://bgr.com/2016/03/18/fix-slow-chrom...lling-lag/

Quote:Luckily, fixing this problem is beyond simple:
  •    In a new Chrome tab, paste the following into the address bar and then hit enter: chrome://flags/#disable-smooth-scrolling
  •    Click the “Disable: link under “Smooth Scrolling”
  •    Restart your browser
Pretty simple, right? Your browser will be back to normal and if you want to try smooth scrolling again, just go back to that page and re-enable it.
Thanks for the tip Smile

I tried that, and it seems to have improved it, but it's still locking up sometimes. Any other ideas? I shall give Firefox a go, I used to use that ages ago.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
OK well, I just fired up Firefox and it runs much smoother! Cheers Smile How weird. No lagging or locking up. So I'm sorted!

Index of my best videos
Chrome runs each tab as a separate process which might take up more resources on cheaper laptops. Firefox is generally less resource heavy these days.
Sure. But the weird thing is, it worked just fine on my precious laptops which are now obselete compared to this one. I'm blaming Windows 10, whether it's down to that or not. Fucking Windows 10.

Index of my best videos
(November 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm)robvalue Wrote: I shall give Firefox a go, I used to use that ages ago.

Firefox is the most laggy of them all. It seems to load up all kinds of junk into memory if you keep it running for more than a couple of hours. Loding can take forever when the same site is up within a second on IE or Opera.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 20, 2016 at 2:24 pm)robvalue Wrote: Sure. But the weird thing is, it worked just fine on my precious laptops which are now obselete compared to this one. I'm blaming Windows 10, whether it's down to that or not. Fucking Windows 10.

Install a Linux distro on it then. Tongue
Another tip I'd give you is that if your windows 10 is like mine and it has you using groove music, google how to go back to using windows media player.  It's so much faster.  Maybe your computer won't have a problem with groove music but I thought it was so slow on mine.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

OK, cheers for the tips guys Smile

I can't believe how much faster FF is running AF. It's ridiculous.

Index of my best videos