Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FOR OUR VETS
FOR OUR VETS
Happy Memorial Day to all our AF members who served in the armed forces.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to my father who served (luckily for me, stateside) in '66-'68. But I especially want to acknowledge my uncle, Mike McDermott, who went through hell on earth in Vietnam during four tours (recipient of two Distinguished Service Crosses: http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient...entid=5897) and who lived to tell the harrowing tale of his last tour in which he served as an adviser to a South Vietnamese paratrooper outfit that fought and died in the battle of An Loc (https://www.amazon.com/Mike-McDermott/e/B005MRPDGW/). I also wish to honor my brother Brian McDermott's service (tour in Bosnia, tour in Afghanistan with the 10th Mountain Division during which he fought at Tora Bora, and two tours in Iraq with the Stryker Division out of Fort Wainwright).
RE: FOR OUR VETS
Just want to add that my OP comes off as more gung-ho than I really feel. I regard both Vietnam and the Iraq war as avoidable, tragic follies. That said, my dim view of the civilian leaders who blundered into those wars is no reflection on the men and women who served with honor during those fiascos. My praise of my uncle and my brother is a matter of family pride, not an endorsement of their leaders' decisions. As happens all too often, old men with no skin in the game make choices that others must pay for in blood.
Thank you for serving. I appreciate you all!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I just googled 'Memorial Day'. Your thanks are misplaced.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Brian is right. I never died, and Memorial Day is a day to remember those who did. I am not worthy.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(May 29, 2017 at 12:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I just googled 'Memorial Day'.  Your thanks are misplaced.

Boru

Then the happy part is probably also misplaced.

But you're correct, not the most thoughtful of posts.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RiP Grampa.

(May 29, 2017 at 12:03 pm)Jesster Wrote: Brian is right. I never died, and Memorial Day is a day to remember those who did. I am not worthy.

I disagree, if you served even if you survive, you still did more than most could. I washed out of Air Force basic. My nephew washed out of Marine basic. Some people simply cannot mentally handle it. And even for those who do make it, many come home having seen and survived lots of things nobody would want to see.

I think if we really want to honor the dead and even those whom survived, then the notion that we should exhaust all diplomacy first before combat would do a lot to reduce having to bury the war dead. We can also honor them by funding more care of their families and more care for those they saved whom did make it home. 

Back when I lived in Virginia I met TWO atheist war veterans. Ben has died since, but Ben was a combat vet whom had served in Europe in WW2. The other guy was a Viet Nam veteran. 

But even with someone I politically disagree and economically disagree with such as John McCain, I still value those who take those risks I could not handle myself.
For our vets!

[Image: veterinarian-job-description.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 29, 2017 at 12:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 29, 2017 at 12:03 pm)Jesster Wrote: Brian is right. I never died, and Memorial Day is a day to remember those who did. I am not worthy.

I disagree, if you served even if you survive, you still did more than most could. I washed out of Air Force basic. My nephew washed out of Marine basic. Some people simply cannot mentally handle it. And even for those who do make it, many come home having seen and survived lots of things nobody would want to see.

I think if we really want to honor the dead and even those whom survived, then the notion that we should exhaust all diplomacy first before combat would do a lot to reduce having to bury the war dead. We can also honor them by funding more care of their families and more care for those they saved whom did make it home. 

Back when I lived in Virginia I met TWO atheist war veterans. Ben has died since, but Ben was a combat vet whom had served in Europe in WW2. The other guy was a Viet Nam veteran. 

But even with someone I politically disagree and economically disagree with such as John McCain, I still value those who take those risks I could not handle myself.

I know, you always disagree. This is why Veterans Day exists, though.
I don't believe you. Get over it.