Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ursula LeGuin dead?
Ursula LeGuin dead?
01-22-18? Should be major news!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Ursula LeGuin dead?
This should be headline news and the date recognized as a national holiday!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Um... who was she?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm)Joods Wrote: Um... who was she?

I had to look her up.... don’t think I read any of her books.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Breaks out the pitchforks.........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I really liked her Earthsea trilogy. RIP.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Ursula LeGuin was a major science fiction writer. She was from an era where it was very difficult from a woman to be accepted as such.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Ahh okay. RIP Ursula. Sad
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Weird twist of fate, she went to high school with Philip K Dick and they both listed each other as major influences on each others work..though they didn;t know each other at the time.  She ended up taking him to task on his deteriorating mental state and how that expressed itself in the declining quality of his female characters (more accurately how they were being reduced to qualities with no woman left in there anymore).  This lead to a vast improvement.  The two being most present in each others fiction in Lathe of Heaven (for LeGuin) and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer (Dick).

She said she stole his tricks, he said he'd never have discovered a defining character without her. Both fuckin giants.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I also fondly remember reading the Earthsea trilogy quite a while back. I read she was a Portland native.