Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Adminstration Pushes Abstinence Only Sex Education
Trump Adminstration Pushes Abstinence Only Sex Education
I'm sure he's practiced what he preaches-during his refractory period maybe.

Abstinence-only education making a comeback under Trump

Abstinence-only education — encouraging adolescents to wait until marriage for sex — is making a comeback under President Trump.
In a marked departure from the previous administration, conservatives at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) are putting an emphasis on abstinence to reduce teen pregnancy rates.

“We definitely are seeing a shift,” said Kelly Marcum, a government affairs legislative assistant at the Family Research Council in Washington, which supports abstinence-only education.
“We’re really excited to see that the administration is giving some tools back to us to keep pushing that fight.”
So far, the administration has encouraged organizations applying for Title X federal family planning funds to include in their programs a “meaningful emphasis” on “the benefits of avoiding sex” when communicating with adolescents and to use programs that don’t “normalize sexual risk behaviors.”
The Trump administration also plans to release its first report early this summer as part of a $10 million research project looking at ways to improve sex education programs, with a focus on the impact of “sexual delay.”

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/377...nder-trump
RE: Trump Adminstration Pushes Abstinence Only Sex Education
Christian Sharia Law?
If only this had been available back when Trump and that Alabama judge (Roy something?) were in school. So many daughters and wives/mothers to be could have been spared.
(April 6, 2018 at 11:57 am)Whateverist Wrote: If only this had been available back when Trump and that Alabama judge (Roy something?) were in school.  So many daughters and wives/mothers to be could have been spared.

Roy Moore, yeah. If it hadn't been for black voters, particularly black women voters, he might have still won. The problem with abstinence only sex education is it doesn't work. It's not based on an understanding of how peoples minds and bodies work, it's just based off of a book that claims to have been inspired by someone who knows those things.
(April 6, 2018 at 11:51 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: I'm sure he's practiced what he preaches-during his refractory period maybe.

Abstinence-only education making a comeback under Trump

Abstinence-only education — encouraging adolescents to wait until marriage for sex — is making a comeback under President Trump.
In a marked departure from the previous administration, conservatives at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) are putting an emphasis on abstinence to reduce teen pregnancy rates.

“We definitely are seeing a shift,” said Kelly Marcum, a government affairs legislative assistant at the Family Research Council in Washington, which supports abstinence-only education.
“We’re really excited to see that the administration is giving some tools back to us to keep pushing that fight.”
So far, the administration has encouraged organizations applying for Title X federal family planning funds to include in their programs a “meaningful emphasis” on “the benefits of avoiding sex” when communicating with adolescents and to use programs that don’t “normalize sexual risk behaviors.”
The Trump administration also plans to release its first report early this summer as part of a $10 million research project looking at ways to improve sex education programs, with a focus on the impact of “sexual delay.”

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/377...nder-trump

Well, hey!  At least they’re implementing an approach to sex education that has been demonstrated to not work, am I right?!  

*face palm*
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I like the idea of teaching and encouraging abstinence to teenage kids as the only 100% safe option against both pregnancy and STD's. But I still think contraceptives should be tought so that the kids know what they are and how they work, etc. I'm pretty sure even when I was in Catholic grade school, we were taught in health class about all the different contraceptives and how they work. It doesn't mean the kids are being encouraged to have sex, it's just a regular part of learning about sexuality and health.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 6, 2018 at 12:22 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I like the idea of teaching and encouraging abstinence to teenage kids as the only 100% safe option against both pregnancy and STD's. But I still think contraceptives should be tought so that the kids know what they are and how they work, etc. I'm pretty sure even when I was in Catholic grade school, we were taught in health class about all the different contraceptives and how they work. It doesn't mean the kids are being encouraged to have sex, it's just a regular part of learning about sexuality and health.

Well yeah, I don't think there's a health class in the United States that doesn't mention abstinence being 100% effective - it's just that abstinence-only programs almost invariably misrepresent or straight up lie about the effectiveness of other methods (if they mention them at all).  Pushers of abstinence-only programs seem to think that young adults simply won't have sex if you tell them not to, which is laughably untrue.  It's no coincidence that areas with abstinence-only programs are also the areas with the highest rates of STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and abortion.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(April 6, 2018 at 12:26 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(April 6, 2018 at 12:22 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I like the idea of teaching and encouraging abstinence to teenage kids as the only 100% safe option against both pregnancy and STD's. But I still think contraceptives should be tought so that the kids know what they are and how they work, etc. I'm pretty sure even when I was in Catholic grade school, we were taught in health class about all the different contraceptives and how they work. It doesn't mean the kids are being encouraged to have sex, it's just a regular part of learning about sexuality and health.

Well yeah, I don't think there's a health class in the United States that doesn't mention abstinence being 100% effective - it's just that abstinence-only programs almost invariably misrepresent or straight up lie about the effectiveness of other methods (if they mention them at all).  Pushers of abstinence-only programs seem to think that young adults simply won't have sex if you tell them not to, which is laughably untrue.  It's no coincidence that areas with abstinence-only programs are also the areas with the highest rates of STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and abortion.

I'd rather teenage kids not have sex with each other at all. But if they do, I'd rather them use a condom than get pregnant and possibly have an abortion.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 6, 2018 at 12:31 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(April 6, 2018 at 12:26 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Well yeah, I don't think there's a health class in the United States that doesn't mention abstinence being 100% effective - it's just that abstinence-only programs almost invariably misrepresent or straight up lie about the effectiveness of other methods (if they mention them at all).  Pushers of abstinence-only programs seem to think that young adults simply won't have sex if you tell them not to, which is laughably untrue.  It's no coincidence that areas with abstinence-only programs are also the areas with the highest rates of STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and abortion.

I'd rather teenage kids not have sex with each other at all. But if they do, I'd rather them use a condom than get pregnant and possibly have an abortion.

Sure, and I'd rather teenage kids drive perfectly safely at all times, but I'm still going to give them seat belts and airbags.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Absence education is stupid and it never works .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Madison Cawthorn Sex Tape Released Divinity 26 4249 May 6, 2022 at 4:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Consistency Is Not a Virtue If Your Only Consistently Evil The Architect Of Fate 3 229 September 2, 2020 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  AOC Pushes To Make It Easier To Study Shrooms And Other Psychedelic Drugs EgoDeath 8 740 November 9, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 737 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  "A good guy with a gun" saves the day, only to be shot dead himself Aegon 30 3089 November 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Orange Fucktard Isn't The Only One Minimalist 0 214 August 30, 2018 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2008 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Amusing...If Only So Typical Minimalist 1 372 July 19, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  The only good waffle with a nude gun is a..... Brian37 27 4235 April 24, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Barbara Bush in failing health. Only recieving comfort care now. c172 14 2283 April 17, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Amarok