Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Credit System
Social Credit System
I was listening to a program on NPR yesterday and they talked about China's social credit system, which is supposed to be fully implemented by 2020. Citizen's social behaviors are surveilled via data mining and then converted into a score.
It's not just one's own behavior that goes into the score, it's also the people around them - friends, family, etc. If they have a family member or friend that "behaves" poorly, down goes the score.
We already have this on a smaller scale in the west and I have little doubt this full-fledged monitoring and scoring will come to western countries, including the US. Too bad there's no way you can opt out or choose not to participate.
What say you?

Quote:People have already faced various punishments for violating social protocols. The system has been used to already block nine million people with "low scores" from purchasing domestic flights. While still in the preliminary stages, the system has been used to ban people and their children from certain schools, prevent low scorers from renting hotels, using credit cards, and blacklist individuals from being able to procure employment. The system has also been used to rate individuals on their internet habits (excessive online gaming reduces one's score), personal shopping habits, and a variety of other personal and wholly innocuous acts that have no impact on the wider community.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

-Teresa
RE: Social Credit System
Where does a tendency to tell authority figures to "Fuck Off" rate on the scale?
Seems antithetical to our values here.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Hello Mr. Orwell. 

Shit, there went 1500 credits.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Seems like a narcisstic dream goal. Control the masses and take away their basic rights as humans and keep them locked within a communist country all because of their social behavior.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(October 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Seems antithetical to our values here.

We're practically there already. 
Credit histories are widely used in the US for a number of things, not just applying for credit.
My current job looked at mine when I was hired, and that was back in 2005.
We have all the tech in place to mine data and we already know thanks to Ed Snowden that the US govt spies on its own citizens. 

-Teresa
(October 10, 2018 at 11:14 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Seems antithetical to our values here.

We're practically there already. 
Credit histories are widely used in the US for a number of things, not just applying for credit.
We have all the tech in place to mine data and we already know thanks to Ed Snowden that the US govt spies on its own citizens. 

-Teresa

I first learned about the Social Credit System when I was looking up stuff for Black Mirror's "Nosedive" shortly after it first dropped on Netflix. There seems to be this weird pattern where Charlie Brooker brings up the issues with technology that concern him and puts them into these exquisite little teleplays, and then the powers that be turn them into cold, hard, reality. It's shocking that there are exactly two franchises that TVTropes gives their own "Life Imitates Art" subpage to. The first is Star Trek, a 50-year franchise that inspired many people to go into science, and the other is Black Mirror. Guess which one has the longer page. And Black Mirror's would have been even longer if not for the fact that "Nosedive" GOT ITS OWN SUBPAGE SHOWING EXAMPLES OF THE SAME BASIC PRINCIPLE BEHIND THIS EPISODE IN REAL LIFE.

Also, I'm currently watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry finds that an Uber driver has judged him a 1/5.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 10, 2018 at 11:47 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(October 10, 2018 at 11:14 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: We're practically there already. 

-Teresa

I first learned about the Social Credit System when I was looking up stuff for Black Mirror's "Nosedive" shortly after it first dropped on Netflix. There seems to be this weird pattern where Charlie Brooker brings up the issues with technology that concern him and puts them into these exquisite little teleplays, and then the powers that be turn them into cold, hard, reality. It's shocking that there are exactly two franchises that TVTropes gives their own "Life Imitates Art" subpage to. The first is Star Trek, a 50-year franchise that inspired many people to go into science, and the other is Black Mirror. Guess which one has the longer page. And Black Mirror's would have been even longer if not for the fact that "Nosedive" GOT ITS OWN SUBPAGE SHOWING EXAMPLES OF THE SAME BASIC PRINCIPLE BEHIND THIS EPISODE IN REAL LIFE.

Also, I'm currently watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry finds that an Uber driver has judged him a 1/5.

Read 1984 and Brave New World, both of which pre-date Black Mirror and Star Trek.

Side note: My Uber passenger rating is 4.93 and it seriously bugs me that it's not 5.0.

-Teresa
You really think I haven't read both 1984 and Brave New World? And that I don't have both of them in both paperback and hardcover? I picked Nosedive specifically because it was relevant to the "Social Credit" idea.

... And I just now noticed the vacant grin on the soldier's face as he docks Lacie's points.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Was just about to quote black mirror.

China is a fucked up place.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you concerned about the future of Social Security? Foxaèr 20 1273 December 22, 2023 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Send in the social workers. onlinebiker 57 4561 November 1, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There's a social pandemic poisoning Europe: hatred of Muslims WinterHold 23 1336 November 2, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Social distancing? ignoramus 12 946 April 23, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Social Distancing: Is 6 feet enough? Rhizomorph13 14 962 April 2, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs a day at the beach BrianSoddingBoru4 51 3410 March 27, 2020 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Social distancing vs Prayer onlinebiker 42 2848 March 21, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oz government crackdown on Social Media fredd bear 24 1701 March 31, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This Is What Happens When You Put An Idiot In Charge of a Complex System Minimalist 132 12135 December 6, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Class Than I Gave Them Credit For Minimalist 1 462 July 15, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Brian37