Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Downside of Impeachment
The Downside of Impeachment
Would be - President Pence.

It' s pretty unlikely the ( D )s will field someone as hated and unelectable as Hillary  Clinton again. ( proof she is??? look who is President)

With President Trump's unpopularity - it' s unlikely that he could win against most any ( D ) challenger. 

But - if Pence rises to the Presidency? Compared to what we've got now - he will look positively Presidential.

So - here' s the choice ( as I see it)

RIde it out - let Trump finish his term - or impeach him - and  risk being stuck with an evangelical maniac until 2028. (Two full ELECTED terms)
RE: The Downside of Impeachment
I don't like Pence, but he is a guy who never had any chance at ascending to the presidency on his own. If he were to become president for the rest of Trump's term, it wouldn't be a big deal. He isn't strong enough to push his own agenda. He would just be a weak guy sitting out the rest of the term. He would very likely attract a strong primary challenger.

Every day the political tea leafs are telling me that no one has confidence in the Democratic Party, and that everyone thinks that the party is extremely weak. Everyone is terrified that someone slightly more competent than Trump is going to rise to the leadership of the Republican Party, and then the Democratic Party is going to be in extreme peril. The problem with the Democratic Party is the Democrats. The base is a bunch of weak, feeble, victims who absolutely believe that they will be utterly crushed by the slightest bit of Republican competence.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
I dunno. If the ( D ),s have a good candidate - I'd vote for them.

I did President Obama ( 2nd term)
(January 27, 2019 at 9:49 am)Yonadav Wrote: I don't like Pence, but he is a guy who never had any chance at ascending to the presidency on his own. If he were to become president for the rest of Trump's term, it wouldn't be a big deal. He isn't strong enough to push his own agenda. He would just be a weak guy sitting out the rest of the term. He would very likely attract a strong primary challenger.

Every day the political tea leafs are telling me that no one has confidence in the Democratic Party, and that everyone thinks that the party is extremely weak. Everyone is terrified that someone slightly more competent than Trump is going to rise to the leadership of the Republican Party, and then the Democratic Party is going to be in extreme peril. The problem with the Democratic Party is the Democrats. The base is a bunch of weak, feeble, victims who absolutely believe that they will be utterly crushed by the slightest bit of Republican competence.

The democrats are weak? HA ha ha ha ha. This is cute.

I have lots of confidence in my party. I have no confidence that the GOP has any balls to do the right thing and will keep lying and gerrymandering to get a win anyway they can.
(January 27, 2019 at 9:58 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I dunno. If the ( D ),s have a good candidate - I'd vote for them.

Yep. I good Democratic candidate is what we need to be concentrating on right now. A good one. A strong one. Not just someone who is 'better than Trump'. The lesser of two evils mentality that is so pervasive among the Democratic base is what makes the Democratic base so pathetic. They don't want to win. They're just looking for someone to surrender to.
(January 27, 2019 at 10:11 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(January 27, 2019 at 9:58 am)onlinebiker Wrote: I dunno. If the ( D ),s have a good candidate - I'd vote for them.

Yep. I good Democratic candidate is what we need to be concentrating on right now. A good one. A strong one. Not just someone who is 'better than Trump'. The lesser of two evils mentality that is so pervasive among the Democratic base is what makes the Democratic base so pathetic. They don't want to win. They're just looking for someone to surrender to.

Presidents like Obama or JFK don't come along that often. But to say nobody can beat Trump after all the damage he has caused himself with swing voters, that is just silly. He isn't going to have an easy time this time because the swing voters now see what New York City has known for decades. His base will never leave him, but he won't get the same amount of votes from swing voters this time.

And I am sick of this "The lesser of the two evils" rhetoric. In a free society nobody gets 100% of what they want all the time. Our system is not a utopia but one of checks and balances, and co equal branches. And as such it is absurd, for anyone of any party to seek perfect super heros, no such thing exists.
Pence has ZERO charisma. There's no way he gets reelected. Seriously, he talks like this:

Make. America. Great. Again. It. Is. What. Donald. Trump. Would. Have. Wanted.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(January 27, 2019 at 11:05 am)Divinity Wrote: Pence has ZERO charisma.  There's no way he gets reelected.  Seriously, he talks like this:

Make.  America.  Great.  Again.  It.  Is.  What.  Donald.  Trump.  Would.  Have.  Wanted.

Re- elected???

Uh..... 

He hasn't been elected President yet - so strictly speaking he can only be elected president.....

And when was the last time the ( R )s ever voted for charisma?

Nixon? Ford? Bush I or II?

It seems they LIKE vanilla....

Heh
(January 27, 2019 at 11:43 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(January 27, 2019 at 11:05 am)Divinity Wrote: Pence has ZERO charisma.  There's no way he gets reelected.  Seriously, he talks like this:

Make.  America.  Great.  Again.  It.  Is.  What.  Donald.  Trump.  Would.  Have.  Wanted.

Re- elected???

Uh..... 

He hasn't been elected President yet - so strictly speaking he can only be elected president.....

Heh

Unfortunately, people vote for charisma all the time. In 2000, my girlfriend refused to vote for Al Gore because she thought that he was boring. I couldn't change her mind about it. People really do vote as if they are electing someone to be the star of a television show, so it is really not too surprising that a reality television show personality became president.

By 're-elected' I think that she meant that Pence was elected to become president if something happened to Trump.
(January 27, 2019 at 11:51 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(January 27, 2019 at 11:43 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Re- elected???

Uh..... 

Heh

Unfortunately, people vote for charisma all the time. In 2000, my girlfriend refused to vote for Al Gore because she thought that he was boring. I couldn't change her mind about it. People really do vote as if they are electing someone to be the star of a television show, so it is really not too surprising that a reality television show personality became president.

By 're-elected' I think that she meant that Pence was elected to become president if something happened to Trump.

It is possible to have ethics and charisma, Obama and JFK had that. Most of our other presidents really simply either did a good job or not, but none of them, have acted in the bat shit insane way 45 has. He is not politics as normal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Biden Impeachment onlinebiker 32 1776 November 8, 2020 at 10:55 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2571 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dems announce articles of impeachment against Trump Rev. Rye 16 1533 December 18, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The Ego of Impeachment onlinebiker 48 3522 December 18, 2019 at 11:09 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Impeachment Update onlinebiker 50 3624 December 13, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pelosi announces impeachment investigation. onlinebiker 41 5107 October 7, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Figbash
  Why keep a vice president around, who was appointed by someone worthy of impeachment? Chad32 26 3654 December 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3243 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Larry Flynt offers $10M for information leading to Trump's Impeachment Divinity 8 2037 October 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Article of impeachment has been filed NuclearEnergy 13 3184 July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger