Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does the lamb lie with?
What does the lamb lie with?
Hi guys, I’ve come across something deeply strange and I’d like to gather some opinions to see what is going on. Please answer the following questions from memory, without/before looking anything up. I’ll explain what is going on after gathering some answers. It’s not any kind of trick question, it’s just information which will help me try to understand something.

(If you’re familiar with this and you do look it up afterwards, you may well become aware of what I’m talking about. But let’s see.)

1) In the Bible, what animal is said to lie with the lamb?

2) Do you remember reading this passage directly from a bible, or did you hear about it second hand?

Many thanks! I won’t give my answer to 1 just yet as I don’t want to influence the outcome. But I’ve not spent much time reading the Bible directly so my answer to 2 will be second hand.

PS:

If you guys have any Christian friends, especially ones that have read the Bible a lot, I’d be interested if you could report back their answers to these questions.

(To be clear, I’m interested in what people remember, not what the Bible actually says.)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: What does the lamb lie with?
1. The lion and the lamb is what I remember, somewhere in OT, probably in Isaiah or Jeremiah maybe?
2. It's actually a verse in a modern popular Christian song, but I first heard about it in Sunday school as a young kid most likely, or saw it on a poster and asked dad.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Many thanks!

I’ll post later on where specifically this comes up in the Bible, after more answers have come in, in order to show what is confusing me. I don’t want to post it right now as it might influence answers too much, and the memory people have is what is important here.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Mint sauce and roast potatoes?
Dying to live, living to die.
Wolves and lambs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 18, 2019 at 11:44 am)robvalue Wrote: 1) In the Bible, what animal is said to lie with the lamb?

I don't know what animals live on Broadway.  I dunno, a Puerto Rican teenaged boy (or at least an Englishman in his mid-twenties pretending to be one)?

Okay, in all seriousness, here's the actual verses, Isaiah 11:6-7, Amplified Bible:

And the wolf will dwell with the lamb,
And the leopard will lie down with the young goat,
And the calf and the young lion and the fatted steer together;
And a little child will lead them.

And the cow and the bear will graze [together],
Their young will lie down together,
And the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

I think I remember hearing about it first in art class, talking about this painting:
[Image: Edward_Hicks_-_Peaceable_Kingdom.jpg]
Lutherans don't really seem to be among those denominations who emphasise this verse.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(would probably have been in one of those pretty sunday school pamphlets, nobody hands a kid magic book, too much pron in there.)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
yeah I remember being forewarned of the dirtier parts as a young kid and Bible studies were usually adult led.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Oh yeah, I’ll add a PS

If you guys have any Christian friends, especially ones that have read the Bible a lot, I’d be interested if you could report back their answers to these questions.

(To be clear, I’m interested in what people remember, not what the Bible actually says.)

Index of my best videos
I stand corrected, but you did say from memory and I'm old and distracted. Was there a question or confusion about the passage?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5522 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 12413 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2570 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  The Lie Known as "Salvation" Haipule 59 7912 June 12, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Everything I know is a lie! godlessheatheness 31 6462 April 6, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  William Craig caught in a lie. Jehanne 23 4792 January 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians, where does your allegiance lie? - Jesus Christ or Bible Forsaken 53 14104 February 15, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christian motives to lie. Brakeman 90 12062 July 9, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  The Bible does NOT ban masturbation..another Christian lie là bạn điên 42 9170 February 12, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Lie of the True Christian™ Cinjin 113 20559 December 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Polaris