Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group hallucinations
Group hallucinations
While looking trough that book "Cold Case Christianity" few days ago I also came upon a part where Jim is trying to disparage claims of some scholars that when people saw resurrected Jesus they were in fact hallucinating. And this is what he says

Cold Case Christianity Wrote:Based on these experiences as a detective, there are other reasonable concerns when considering the explanation that the disciples hallucinated or imagined the resurrection:
1. While individuals have hallucinations, there are no examples of large groups of people having the exact same hallucination.
2. While a short, momentary group hallucination may seem reasonable, long, sustained, and detailed hallucinations are unsupported historically and intuitively unreasonable.
3. The risen Christ was reportedly seen on more than one occasion and by a number of different groups (and subsets of groups). All of these diverse sightings would have to be additional group hallucinations of one nature or another.

There are some scholars that claim that disciples were hallucinating, although not the claims in the Gospels, but rather Paul's claims like And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once;. But also when scholars say "hallucinating" they also mean people convincing themselves to see something they haven't and/ or just simply lying to be part of the group.

Nevertheless, Jim's apologetic claims are wrong, like there are no examples of large groups of people having the exact same hallucination

One of best examples are UFO sightings that started when Kenneth Arnold claimed to have seen something that "flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water". But newspapers misquoted him and just said flying saucer and after that "everybody" saw  flying saucers.

Even closer examination of mass UFO hallucination was done by James Randi decades ago on a radio show

James Randi Wrote:many years ago, of proving to myself and to the listeners of "The Long John Nebel Show," a radio program in New York. Nebel and I planned in advance to perform a minor experiment, and as we settled in for a long evening of talk about the wonders of a subject very much in demand on that show—flying saucers.

I breathlessly described how, earlier that evening, I had been driving through the Perth Amboy area of New Jersey and had seen a V-shaped formation of triangular orange objects going overhead in a northerly direction. I said I wasn't sure whether there had been any noise, because of the traffic sounds around me. Immediately the station switchboard lit up like an electronic Christmas tree, and John's secretary began taking down reports from callers who had also been witnesses to this remarkable sighting. Some were even switched through to the studio and told their stories on the air. Within half an hour we had established the exact number of triangles and the speed, altitude, and precise direction of the formation, and had discovered that I had seen only one pass of the "saucers" when there had been several!

As I look back on it now, I think it was unfortunate that we "blew the gaff" right there on the show about an hour after going on the air. Otherwise the reported sighting would undoubtedly have gone into the vast literature about "unidentified flying objects" and would have been by now one of the unassailable cases quoted by believers. As it was, we mercifully terminated the hoax

But even before that there was the Airship flap that lasted during five months between 1896-1897 where thousands of people claimed they have seen the strange airship flying across the US. There was even a photograph of it. But of course it was just a hoax.

Or even before that people claimed to see women flying on brooms.

Or before that, apparitions of Mary where some people claimed to see her while others not. Like from Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World"

Demon Haunted World Wrote:For example, multiple witnesses in a small town might tell of a tall, glowing woman dressed all in white carrying an infant son and surrounded by a radiance that lit up the street the previous night. But in other cases, people standing directly beside the witness could see nothing, as in this report of a 1617 apparition from Castile: ‘Aye, Bartolome, the lady who came to me these past days is coming through the meadow, and she is kneeling and embracing the cross there - look at her, look at her!’ The youth though he looked as hard as he could saw nothing except some small birds flying around above the cross.

So, again, Jim is lying or simply doesn't know what he's talking about and Christians don't care: "as long as he's talking positively about Jesus it must be right".
RE: Group hallucinations
Also, when the only evidence left is memory, no one can ever be sure whether their memories have been corrupted. Hearing lots of other people speak about what they experienced can retroactively alter people's memories, and so among a large group, they could end up harmonising. The result could end up being nothing like what was actually seen, if anything was there at all.

Of course, people can also lie (to themselves or others) due to peer pressure or not wanting to be left out.

If we’re going by the gospels, no one saw him after his death anyway in the original story. This was added in later.

PS: this doesn’t mean any mass reported unusual viewing is actually wrong, however. It just provides a plausible explanation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Heinlein relates the story of a man who stood on a corner in Manhattan and just stared upward. Very soon other people started saying "I see it too!"
In point of fact, refuting the 'mass hallucination' hypothesis of Jesus' resurrection is largely a strawman, as very few skeptics have ever made this argument, and it has been effectively abandoned.  Much more common in refuting the Resurrection is making it part of the legend hypothesis:  No one ever actually saw the resurrected Jesus, but a few people claimed they had, and the story grew in the telling.

And before I'm assailed for accusing these claimants as being liars or frauds, it is perfectly plausible that they believed they saw Jesus - reporting a sincere delusion is neither lying nor fraudulent.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Of course, a large group of people could have seen someone they genuinely believed to be a reincarnated Jesus, when in fact it was just some guy who looked like him.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(April 9, 2019 at 7:34 am)robvalue Wrote: Of course, a large group of people could have seen someone they genuinely believed to be a reincarnated Jesus, when in fact it was just some guy who looked like him.

I know, right?  Those resurrected Judean messiahs all look alike.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Exactly. Everyone was a white guy with a beard and a robe back then, according to all the drawings. It would be surprising if people didn’t think they saw Jesus.

Index of my best videos
I was at Woodstock all three times.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The resurrected Jesus seemed to have trouble being recognized as Jesus, sometimes.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 9, 2019 at 10:16 am)wyzas Wrote: I was at Woodstock all three times.

Not sure flashbacks count. Hehe
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1400 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2564 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Now a Hindu Group Wants a Monument at the Oklahoma Capitol Gooders1002 45 10697 December 15, 2013 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  US pastor subject of lawsuit by Ugandan gay advocacy group Doubting Thomas 3 1375 March 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  A Christian group showed up at the Chigaco Gay Pride... Tiberius 46 18147 February 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Fleshed out creation hallucinations Rokcet Scientist 30 9720 January 13, 2012 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  George Michael slams 'bastard' Christian group orogenicman 11 6116 January 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  State schools 'not providing group worship' frankiej 18 3571 October 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: bozo