Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free speech or Hate speech?
Free speech or Hate speech?
Prominent Rugby champ and nice christian man, Israel Folau made an innocent passing comment "all gays will go to hell".
He has since lost his job, sponsorships (worth millions), his gofuckme gofundme page removed (he was trying to defend his right to free speech. He had already accumulated over 750K!)

Fucking hell, I don't know what to make of this clusterfuck anymore.

What do you think? Has he got a right to be an idiot and risk everything (for sweet baby jebus), or should the corporate elites micromanage what we can and cannot say?

I think he's just a little dumb to think they'll be no repercussions Dunno

Would I be penalized in anyway of hate speech if I went around with a placard that read "Darth Vader is coming to strike you down"?
Since we here are predominantly atheist, I'm suspecting that this isn't about hurty feels but 100% political by the left?right? I don't know anymore?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Free speech or Hate speech?
Free speech and consequence free speech aren’t the same thing. The only way to mandate consequence free speech is to force a company or private organization to keep these numbskulls on board and on payroll. In the meanwhile, it looks like he freely spoke his mind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You're not allowed to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater or "ambulance!" in a crowded law school.
At work.

Uhm.... colour me surprised but when did Australian's ever have anything like an American's "Freedom of speech" ?

The fellow can express himself how ever he likes.

It's when he insults other people he's got a problem.

As for his former emoyers? They have standards and rules of behaviour and dress codes listed.

He'd be in almost as much trouble if he'd been p+ssed as a newt while throwing a fist at some one.

Cheers.
So, he had a GoFundMe page and had raised $700000 to go towards his legal fees in a case he is bringing against Rugby Australia.
GoFundMe buckled under pressure and closed it down.
Then his web page was closed down taking 12 hrs to get it up and running again.
Trial by social media.

(June 24, 2019 at 7:25 am)Little lunch Wrote: So, he had a GoFundMe page and had raised $700000 to go towards his legal fees in a case he is bringing against Rugby Australia.
GoFundMe buckled under pressure and closed it down.
Then his web page was closed down taking 12 hrs to get it up and running again.
Trial by social media.

Yeah, there are any number of internet lynch mobs out there, from Hillary haters to people who spent their entire time demonizing groups like the police.

[Image: angrymob2.gif]
(June 24, 2019 at 5:12 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Free speech and consequence free speech aren’t the same thing.  The only way to mandate consequence free speech is to force a company or private organization to keep these numbskulls on board and on payroll.  In the meanwhile, it looks like he freely spoke his mind.

^Exactly this.

Perfect real-life example: My wife recently terminated one of her employees for calling a customer who had just left the shop 'hori' (the equivalent of the n-word when directed at a Maori person).  When the girl objected to being sacked just for using the word, Ellen told her, 'You can use that word as much as you like, you just can't use it here.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
To guys said it already, if I say it also it starts to sound like babble. There is very little consequence free babble.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
People forget that freedom is a two way street. You can say whatever you like. You are free to say that gay people are an abomination and deserve hell. You can say that non-caucasians are vile detestable mongrels. I don't have to agree with what you say, but I think you have the right to say it.
(June 24, 2019 at 1:15 pm)no one Wrote: People forget that freedom is a two way street. You can say whatever you like. You are free to say that gay people are an abomination and deserve hell. You can say that non-caucasians are vile detestable mongrels. I don't have to agree with what you say, but I think you have the right to say it.

The two-way part of that street is, as GB pointed out, the consequences of that particular freedom.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian hate-preacher calls for the execution of ‘every single homosexual’. Jehanne 63 4335 June 28, 2022 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  I hate these kind of headlines. onlinebiker 50 2006 December 8, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Biden's Victory Speech onlinebiker 45 2899 September 1, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  frees speech, hate speech or a comedy routine? ignoramus 16 571 May 26, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 465 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  This thing, called bum, I kinda hate it.... Brian37 16 1914 May 8, 2020 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Here's Another Judge For The Orange Turdfuhrer to Hate Minimalist 1 470 November 23, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Another Judge For the WLB to Hate Minimalist 0 456 November 20, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Saudi Reporter's last column. Free speech.... Brian37 9 955 October 20, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  I Hate It When These Obnoxious Fucks Are Right. Minimalist 61 5613 July 26, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist