Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do when GM goes all electric?
What will you do when GM goes all electric?
GM and other manufacturers are saying that they will quit production of light vehicles with internal combustion engines - and only build electric ones.

What will you do?

I plan on pulling the plug on commercial power and running off grid. 

I will convert my water heater (largest user of electric) to gasoline. I will run the house off the batteries and inverter - running the gasoline generator once a week to fill up the 500 gallon water tank in the barn and charge the batteries. I will install another solar panel to help extend battery capacity.

And I will continue to drive my gas powered cars.

Because - supply and demand will put gasoline under a buck a gallon - and electric prices will be 3 to 4 times what they are now.
RE: What will you do when GM goes all electric?
Yes, because fuck the planet, you are the only one who lives on it.
(January 29, 2021 at 4:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yes, because fuck the planet, you are the only one who lives on it.

Says the man who doesn't drive...but calls cabbies who do drive gas engine vehicles.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

You do make a point about electricity costs. There isn't the generating capacity nor the electricity grid infrastructure to support every family charging one or two cars every night.

Time-of-day pricing, and smart systems that spread load (i.e. tells each house system when to charge the car) can partly solve the problem, but I don't think it will work fully.

To environmentalists -- how is that "don't flood my river" and "no nuclear in my back yard" going?
Shed a single majestic tear that I can't rev up a good old American muffler cloud and laugh at the ozone, No longer will I be able to give the proverbial middle finger to earth for being so lame and not having enough paved hwy for my double wide 3mpg special issue Hummer.

CURSE YOU ELECTRICITY, DAMN YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL EDISON AND TESLA!!!!!!
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 4:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yes, because fuck the planet, you are the only one who lives on it.

Says the man who doesn't drive...but calls cabbies who do drive gas engine vehicles.

I knew someone would bring that up again.

I am not a survivalist first off. Secondly it isn't up to laypeople to change things, it is up to the powerful CEOs and shareholders and governments worldwide. 

And for your INFO read the title of the thread. GM's heads are finally getting the message, OLB wants to cling to the past. 

And FYI the amount I transport in a car now is far less than when I did drive every day. I can't leave no footprint, but I am most certainly leaving far less of one than now that I don't have to work.

When I was working I drove 5 days a week. When my mother was in her late stages, I was driving 6 to 7 days a week. Now that I don't have to work travel is 3 maybe 4 times a week, and mostly only 1 mile to the store. That is far less auto use and gas.
(January 29, 2021 at 5:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Says the man who doesn't drive...but calls cabbies who do drive gas engine vehicles.

I am not a survivalist first off. Secondly it isn't up to laypeople to change things, it is up to the powerful CEOs and shareholders and governments worldwide. 

And for your INFO read the title of the thread. GM's heads are finally getting the message, OLB wants to cling to the past. 

And FYI the amount I transport in a car now is far less than when I did drive every day. I can't leave no footprint, but I am most certainly leaving far less of one than now that I don't have to work.

Whoopdefuckingdoo!

I gas up about once every three months.  I drive a relatively small car and emissions restrictions are tight here in TX (despite the gas industry here).

I do work...because I am not a bum.  I just work from home and only go to the office once a week.

Husband works 2 miles from home.  Everyone who drives isn't leaving a bigger footprint than you are.

If you can make a special trip to the store just to get batteries because you are too damn lazy to walk across a room, your concern for burning fossil fuels is something you overstate.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 29, 2021 at 5:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Says the man who doesn't drive...but calls cabbies who do drive gas engine vehicles.

When I was working I drove 5 days a week. When my mother was in her late stages, I was driving 6 to 7 days a week. Now that I don't have to work travel is 3 maybe 4 times a week, and mostly only 1 mile to the store. That is far less auto use and gas.

Or you could purchase an electric car of your own and leave even less of a footprint. Or, since it’s only a mile to the store, you could get a golf cart.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 29, 2021 at 5:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 5:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I knew someone would bring that up again.

Or you could purchase an electric car of your own and leave even less of a footprint. Or, since it’s only a mile to the store, you could get a golf cart.

Boru

Or walk.

Or bicycle.

And enjoy the rolling blackouts.
(January 29, 2021 at 5:45 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(January 29, 2021 at 5:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Or you could purchase an electric car of your own and leave even less of a footprint. Or, since it’s only a mile to the store, you could get a golf cart.

Boru

Or walk.

Or bicycle.

And enjoy the rolling blackouts.

Kinda funny how 37 wants to do fuck all regarding the changing energy picture, but rakes YOU over the coals (pun intended) for making plans to cope with it.

Talk about a steaming pile of hypocrisy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The other problem with electric vehicles onlinebiker 22 1342 August 19, 2021 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  When Darwin goes on a date with Karma ignoramus 4 253 April 19, 2021 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Pence goes on "Poor Me" tour.... Brian37 52 2033 May 13, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2646 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 2980 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Justin Trudeau Goes On American Television To Protest Trump's Tariffs Amarok 11 875 June 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Low-Tech device goes off at Port Authority Joods 12 1047 December 11, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  There goes Kevin Spacey's career (Sexual misconduct) Aroura 38 4599 November 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  U.S. Education goes further down the tube Foxaèr 9 1470 June 14, 2017 at 4:36 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Bill Maher Goes After The Media Minimalist 4 677 June 4, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox