Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hazard of faith schools
The hazard of faith schools
I am currently writing about faith schools and my views opposing them.

I wish to include some ideas from people different to that of my own.
What is your opinion about faith schools?
Do you think they are dangerous for society?

I would like to recommend a short video about Muslim schools in Britain: http://atheistmovies.blogspot.com/2010/1...lamic.html
Cunt
RE: The hazard of faith schools
Parents should have the right to decide what kind of education they want their children to have, which is why I'm not against faith schools. What I am against is the government supporting them, as this would be nonsecular. In other words, private faith schools are fine, but public schools shouldn't affiliate with any particular religion (though they should accept students from all religious backgrounds).
(May 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Parents should have the right to decide what kind of education they want their children to have, which is why I'm not against faith schools. What I am against is the government supporting them, as this would be nonsecular. In other words, private faith schools are fine, but public schools shouldn't affiliate with any particular religion (though they should accept students from all religious backgrounds).

I see indoctrinating a child in their parents faith unfair on the child, and some Muslim schools even teach about being intollerant of other beliefs... This isn't a fact for all, but I have seen some which are like this. I find it rather wicked.

However, I do agree with you on public schools, as I went to a public school and collective worship was forced upon us. I suppose this was the start of my abhorrence of religion in schools.
Cunt
Have a look at the current Australian situation, we've currently got the "national chaplaincy program", bunch of evangelical nutters have wormed their way into our supposedly secular education system and it just got a money boost in the last budget...

makes my blood boil
(May 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm)Stue Denim Wrote: Have a look at the current Australian situation, we've currently got the "national chaplaincy program", bunch of evangelical nutters have wormed their way into our supposedly secular education system and it just got a money boost in the last budget...

makes my blood boil

I just had a read about this.
This is exactly the opposite I would like to see happen.
Cunt
I am against having " faith " schools of any kind.
Schools should include " faith " in the curiculum.....and include it with other myths and superstitions that persist.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(May 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm)bozo Wrote: I am against having " faith " schools of any kind.
Schools should include " faith " in the curiculum.....and include it with other myths and superstitions that persist.

Yes I agree with that. RE class is where all things about religion should be taught. Children should not be forced into the worship of their parents religion or not even their parents religion as what happen to me as a child.
Cunt
I came from a family that is so against proseletyzing and pushing religion that they won't even discuss relgion with anyone(and yes, they're Christians). On this basis I would have to say that schools of faith are a detriment to society. I was taught that education and religion should be exclusive from each other and they do not overlap, unless of course it is a class about religion. Teaching God along with physics and math only furthers the idea that religion is abolute truth and there is some factual basis behind it. If parents want their kids to be religious, they can take them to sunday school. They shouldn't dilute their education by mixing it with religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Privately finded faith schools = yes, as long as they stick to the national curriculum on subjects such as Science, Maths and English.
Publicly funded state schools = no. Simple as.

If you want the school you want your child to attend to teach your religion as part of the learning then fine, but dont expect anyone to fucking pay for it.
Well lets worry about the faith schools later. From personal experiance I know for a fact that many schools still don't accept you for your race. There is always the minority student's in any school even though caucasion is the minority here in america. Although I don't believe faith schools should be around in general, Im more worried with the fact we have schools that are almost all black, hispanic and caucasian. The government has diversity laws that forces schools to have atleast small numbers of colored student's but lets face it, society is still pretty dam segregated. You don't go to a ghetto neighborhood and expect it to be all white do you? You don't go to the suburbs expecting it to be full of hispanics. All we ever do is see one black, hispanic, middle eastern ect with a good job and living in a great neighborhood and say good for you, or this place isn't what it used to be.

To quote my non biological white grandfather "This place has really gone down the drain"
I look around and see 2 black families on the street and some asians.. Undecided

Not to mention we live in a pretty nice area no loud music, gunshots, gangsters, no drama in general ever.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3875 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1254 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 935 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11021 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12308 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 830 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4199 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Do Christians have faith in oxygen/air? MellisaClarke 83 13267 January 3, 2018 at 6:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What makes your faith true? Fake Messiah 237 33144 November 12, 2017 at 3:27 am
Last Post: Odoital77
  What is "FAITH" deceptive_illusion 583 204078 October 29, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: LastPoet