Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I an Agnostic?
Am I an Agnostic?
I don't believe in any gods, have not for years, but a small part of me
always allowed that there may be some force unknown to us for creating the universe. It's hard to believe that the universe can come out of nothing, can't wrap my head around that, but I want to stress, i just don't know. Am I an Agnostic or an Athiest? i always considered myself to be an Atheist.

Manowar
RE: Am I an Agnostic?
caution against the phrase "I can't believe something can come out of nothing". It's an argument from ignorance.

"I can't explain it...ergo god"

Nothing wrong with being an agnostic, or whatever you want to be, just don't let that be the reason..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yup..sounds agnostic to me.

For the record, most atheists are also agnostic.

So that makes you an agnostic atheist.
You can be agnostic and an atheist at the same time.

I think that both theists and atheists are agnostics, because we don't *know* whether God exists or not, as agnosticism deals with knowledge. Some people just believe in Him while others don't.

Also, I think it depends on what you think about that "unknown force" that created the universe:

If you believe that it was (possibly) God, but you don't believe in religion, then you're a deist. If you believe that it was a just a mindless, natural force - or something like energy and matter - then you're an atheist.
Wouldn't positing the existence of a creator god immediately land one into theist territory? By supposing the creator god concept, aren't you ruling out all the gods man has proposed that weren't creator gods? Agnostic theist?..lol.

Not arguing btw, just musing. The "I dont know" part does land you firmly in agnostic territory.

For the record, The universe didn't come out of nothing, that's the theists parody of the scientific position on the matter. Obviously a very successful campaign of ignorance..since we hear it so often.

The universe came out of "we don't know"....that last part is key. The theists "know"....we...do not.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: caution against the phrase "I can't believe something can come out of nothing". It's an argument from ignorance.

"I can't explain it...ergo god"

Nothing wrong with being an agnostic, or whatever you want to be, just don't let that be the reason..lol.

Yeah, but you don't know for sure either. How can an Atheist say for sure? I think that is a valid question

Manowar

Subtle difference, my argument isnt "I cant explain the origins of the universe, ergo no god"

I have a different position than many on the forums btw..and don't let my militantly aggressive stance on the subject taint your opinion of any other poster..lol.
I am sorry if I offend any deists, or agnostic atheists in this regard, I truly am. I'm just tired of watching theists assume the deists armor, or deists politely propping up the theists argument. When theists are finally done ridding the world of atheists, guess who's next on the wall?
When Deists kiss atheists asses like toilet paper has run out forever that's them sucking up to theists is it?

Theists can take the same line as non theists on material origins. That doesn't address 'God'. 2 fails Wink
Frodo in with his signature..."The christian god, except where I disagree with the dogma".
I'm just not sure, Manowar.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9369 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1390 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5899 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3026 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3388 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25426 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3650 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Albert Einstein the Agnostic MattB 21 6132 February 23, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: MattB
  Atheist or Agnostic? datc 126 37220 April 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Agnostic: a pointless term? robvalue 206 34652 February 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist