Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama urged to invoke 14th amendment as debt ceiling deadline nears
Obama urged to invoke 14th amendment as debt ceiling deadline nears
Politico Article

What some in the media refer to as "clause" 4 :

14th amendment Section 4

"Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void. "

Obama has a great deal of understanding regarding Constitutional law, so this should be interesting.
While even though Obama has said it's not an option to invoke the section 4 of the 14th, it is fun to imagine the GOP combustion if it did happen.
I think the House Speaker would disintegrate at the podium, right before the Cspan cameras.
OK, must stop. For, I dream.

I like the rich politician in the Politico article and his quote excerpt: This isn't how a Democracy works!

Damn right it's not. Holding the American people hostage in the name of partisan GOP politics that can't set aside bickering, for the good of the country, while taking tax hikes to the multi-millionaire and even billionaires who aren't paying what they could thanks to typical GOP pandering, is sure as hell not how Democracy works.

It is however highly demonstrative of how a Plutocracy works. While the working class are duped into thinking it was democratically elected, so it's actually our responsibility they're in power.

I saw a new Tornoe political cartoon today. Can't scan it in however it reads like this. A Congressman is pointing at a senior citizen who's holding a grocery bag with a loaf of Italian bread sticking out.

The header reads: "Which One Is The Real Entitlement?"

Beneath the senior citizen there's a description:
Social Security
Paid into it all his life to live off a measley $14,000 a year.

Beneath the Congressman who has bag's of money by his feet and who's pointing at the senior it reads:

Congressional Benefits
Free Health Care, Enormous Pension, 67 paid holidays,
unlimited sick time, etc...
And out of that Congressman's mouth, in that little cartoon bubble he's "saying", as he points toward the senior citizen on Social Security:

"Check out the freeloader living off the system!"

If anyone can find that cartoon and scan it for upload and posting here, it would be a great help to drive home the true import of our representatives privileged life that we elected them to enjoy, while they take a crap all over us on a regular basis as their power, without term limits, says "Thank You!"

And to think, the only way the Legislative branch will ever have term limits is if 2/3rds of Congress vote to amend the Constitution to reflect that.

Yes, I see that happening.
Just after pigs fly, Palin is accepted into Mensa and Ann (Man) Coulter gives birth.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: Obama urged to invoke 14th amendment as debt ceiling deadline nears
Quote:Free Health Care, Enormous Pension

That much is plain bullshit. They have the same health care and pension system as other federal employees. The helath plan is far from free and the pension is far from enormous.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress...esspay.htm

Quote:Members of Congress receive retirement and health benefits under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.

Members elected since 1984 are covered by the Federal Employees' Retirement System (FERS). Those elected prior to 1984 were covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). In 1984 all members were given the option of remaining with CSRS or switching to FERS.

As it is for all other federal employees, congressional retirement is funded through taxes and the participants' contributions. Members of Congress under FERS contribute 1.3 percent of their salary into the FERS retirement plan and pay 6.2 percent of their salary in Social Security taxes.

Members of Congress are not eligible for a pension until they reach the age of 50, but only if they've completed 20 years of service. Members are eligible at any age after completing 25 years of service or after they reach the age of 62. Please also note that Members of Congress have to serve at least 5 years to even receive a pension.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around out there.
And that description of a cartoon, following the article regarding the 14th amendment matter, is what installed the chat kill on the whole thread.

Amazing!
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
WTF. I wouldn't be caught dead defending the pay rate or health insurance option of any US politician. Bunch of fucking sleazebags!

And I'm just going to say it: Obama, you have not done enough. Get off your god damn ass!! 'Bout as useful as a fucking wind-bag.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(July 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm)Cinjin Wrote: And I'm just going to say it: Obama, you have not done enough. Get off your god damn ass!! 'Bout as useful as a fucking wind-bag.

Aeolus takes offense.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm)Cinjin Wrote: And I'm just going to say it: Obama, you have not done enough. Get off your god damn ass!! 'Bout as useful as a fucking wind-bag.

Aeolus takes offense.

and?
[Image: Evolution.png]

Aeolus, bag of wind....brutal crowd.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No, no, no! To really mean it you gotta get visual when condemning yet another CorpasPresident.

"About as useful as tits on a boar hog!"
See, how that works?
Brian Tracy
(July 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: No, no, no! To really mean it you gotta get visual when condemning yet another CorpasPresident.

"About as useful as tits on a boar hog!"
See, how that works?

Indeed. Or "as useful as a cunt full of cold water." (that's an Aussie expression)

My gut tells me this is brinkmanship.HOW can the senate refuse supply and not bring down the government?
The Senate is refusing to pass anything the republicans have come up with on their own on these grounds:
a) The democratic bill had more cuts than the republican bill.
b) The democratic bill had tax raises
c) The republican bill will only postpone things to the general election
c i) which is a favorite tactic of fascists, creating a situation for which they may come to the "rescue"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1264 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1464 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Michelle Obama Crushes It BrianSoddingBoru4 32 1489 August 19, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  All Hail the Second Amendment Minimalist 3795 631039 August 14, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Obama Eulogizes Elijah Cummings AFTT47 2 555 October 26, 2019 at 3:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1636 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  AP: Obama's nose is growing John V 113 9158 September 17, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Conservative Asskisser Wants Obama Back Minimalist 8 1990 July 20, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  One Reason Trump is Intent on Reversing Everything Obama Did Rhondazvous 9 1281 November 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 14886 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne