Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What distinguishes a fantasy book from the bible?
What distinguishes a fantasy book from the bible?
One thing I've never understood is how people took the bible so literally to where it became a belief and all the stuff that transpired in the book was real. What distinguishes the bible from any other fantasy book ever made, was it just blind faith? Or the need to have something good happen to them after they die.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
RE: What distinguishes a fantasy book from the bible?
(July 29, 2011 at 3:11 am)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: One thing I've never understood is how people took the bible so literally to where it became a belief and all the stuff that transpired in the book was real. What distinguishes the bible from any other fantasy book ever made, was it just blind faith? Or the need to have something good happen to them after they die.

Imagine if a book like The Lord of the Rings and a religion which formed around it became the dominant force in western civilisation. That is a reason why say the works of Scientology are dismissed by almost all people as fiction, while the bible is not.
undefined
To the original poster: can you please provide an example of a fantasy book?
(July 29, 2011 at 5:23 am)Emanuel Wrote: To the original poster: can you please provide an example of a fantasy book?

How about Narnia?
(July 29, 2011 at 5:23 am)Emanuel Wrote: To the original poster: can you please provide an example of a fantasy book?

Also I don't really see the relevance of naming a fantasy book, you should be able to know one off the top of your head.

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
(July 29, 2011 at 6:01 am)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: How about Narnia?
Do you seriously consider that there isn't much diference between the Bible and The Chronicles of Narnia?
It'd make a pretty rubbish fantasy book but it's certainly something that could be written by a fantasy writer (L Ron Hubbard)
(July 29, 2011 at 7:22 am)Emanuel Wrote:
Do you seriously consider that there isn't much diference between the Bible and The Chronicles of Narnia?

FSM GrinFSM GrinFSM GrinFSM GrinFSM GrinFSM Grin

How about that?

Fantasy is something that is not real and I'm pretty sure half the crap in narnia will never be possible. What gets me is how you give someone inhuman characteristics such as creating the world and not be able to consider it fantasy.

CS Lewis did indeed wish to weave massive amounts of christianity into narnia. good choice of fantasy..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 29, 2011 at 8:13 am)Rhythm Wrote: CS Lewis did indeed wish to weave massive amounts of christianity into narnia. good choice of fantasy..lol.

Lol I never read narnia before, just from seeing movie previews of it it somehow resembled the bible to me.

Oh the irony.
[Image: irony-alone-in-the-dark-irony-funny-this...796260.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1667 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2342 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6564 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2375 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1846 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2800 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6121 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1653 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5882 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 11977 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand