Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:06 pm

Poll: I like this idea
This poll is closed.
I quite like the idea
0%
0 0%
I hate the idea
100.00%
6 100.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's get this religion thing sorted...
Let's get this religion thing sorted...
I copied this from a different thread, as it seems to provide a good start-off point for a new one. (I sincerely hope I am not breaking any taboos or protocols or anything by doing this)

(August 22, 2011 at 9:25 am)Ace Otana Wrote: I hate what religion is doing, I want to take away it's power and influence as well. If you know of a way, please share.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately I seem to be crap at it.

OK, look, (a) this is not a sure proven method or anything, it's just an idea and (b) it probably won't sound particularly original. But I've thought and thought and thought about it, and it seems to me the only chance there is of de-powering existing religions.

Whatever you like to think about religions, you have to admit that it's proved to be a pretty darned effective way of getting loads of folks to all dance to the same tune. So my suggestion basically is simply this: Copy their methods only steer folk in the right direction instead of a wrong one.

So what are their methods? Well obviously this would have to be gone into properly, but here's a few ideas (not in any particular order).

1) They meet regularly. Churches do it on Sundays. Mosques every day but particularly Fridays. Synagogues Saturdays.

2) They do "good works". Charity stuff, and so on.

3) They are welcoming to strangers. At least the x-tians are, in my experience. Dunno about the others.

4) They proselytise.

5) They have some kind of a belief structure.

6) They ritually worship something or someone.

7) They publicize themselves as a group.

8) They have some kind of secret, like an "inner sanctum" or circle or something providing them with some kind of exclusivity.

9) They offer advice.

10) They provide services like marriage ceremonies, funerals and stuff.

OK - that'll do for now, sure you get my drift. Oh no, woops, left one out.

11) They have a "message" to deliver.

So anyway, no doubt discussion would change the list somewhat. But you get the idea I hope.

Now the "big thing" about Christianity is the message of Christ, right? He's supposed to be the son of god come down to Earth to get us all on the right path. Probably all seemed pretty reasonable at the time, given the state of knowledge. And basically, the message was "please be nice to each other", right?

Well, what's wrong with that? The message I mean, not the son of god thing. Seems OK to me, OK needs tidying up a bit, like the golden rule, whatever. I think it's pretty important, vital in fact, for folks to start being nice to each other. Particularly nations. Seems to me that the "message" of an atheist churchy-type thing would be pretty similar. Be Nice.

Now of course comes the tricky bit. Because what the old Jesus fellah did was to call upon some supposed cosmic figure to give his preaching that bit of authority which made people want to follow his teaching (the being nice to each other stuff). Those were the days, eh - cos nowadays it just won't wash. I mean, even the X-tians themselves don't really believe in the Grand Old Guy in the Sky any more, and a lot of them even think the "virgin birth" is more symbolic than real. So there's a problem on the authority front.

So how the flip would the kind of organisation I am proposing get some kind of authority for its teachings? Hmmmm. Well, there's always Science I suppose. Probably by some other name. "The Great Truth-Giver" perhaps. Something. Santa Veracita - the Source of All Knowledge (known as "The Source"). Whatever. Needs working on.

Basically then, apart from the praying bit, they'd do all the other stuff. And try and lure xtians and others away from the false path onto the true one (ie there is no such thing as god). And yet not leave the people feeling "out in the cold" like many do today. And, in time, as it really IS promoting the real truth, it should stand a pretty good chance of catching on in a really big way, knocking all the other "religious" organsatiomns out the window.

That's the outline. Of course it would need a name. I've been trying to think of one - one I suggested to the humanists (and got flayed alive for) was C.H.U.R.C.H. Something like "Concerned Humanists Undertaking Really Careful Help" - I know, yuk! But look, this is only the outlines of an idea, it would need loads of proper thinking about.

Any thoughts anyone?

Oh dear. I think I know what happens now... (I fear the words "load" & "bolix" might figure somewhere).
RE: Let's get this religion thing sorted...
Interesting. I've thought that there should be some kind of secular humanist church for a while now. When leaving religion the worst thing for me was the lack of fellowship. It is very comforting to know that most Sundays I'll see my friends at church and quite often make plans to hang out after church. Now that I've been worshiping atheos, there is nothing like that, except these forums, but it is hard to ring up anyone here to go to the local brewhouse for a pint.

For me it makes sense that we could have a place to meet on Sundays and maybe throw concerts or have readings from atheist blogs or books. Instead of Sunday school to teach dogma and religious stories there could be classes on fallacies, logic, philosophy, or basic critical thinking. One great thing that church provides is a place to leave ones kids for a bit while you take a break listening to some preacher. Another important function of a church is networking; it can't be stressed enough that when competing in the marketplace it is very advantageous to be lined up with a religion to make business connections and be afforded breaks due to shared belief. Many religions take care of their own and atheists simply lack that support structure.
(August 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Interesting.

Atheos. I like it!

Would you care to vote in the poll?
Groundhog day.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm)Godnose Wrote:
(August 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Interesting.

Atheos. I like it!

Would you care to vote in the poll?

No, the poll is as meaningless as most other polls on this site. You had a few interesting ideas in your post; I was tempted to rate up but there was too much chaff to ignore. Not enough wheat to make bread.
holy shit. Can someone please either put another record on or destroy the damn turntable.
[Image: Evolution.png]

My vote in the poll was due to my response tot he text. If it doesn't hold my attention past two sentences, I probably hate the idea and am not about to waste my time with it.

Have no clue what the purpose of the post is, because after 3 sentences I failed to understand what you are attempting to accomplish... and it seems clear from the way it is constructed that it will not lead anywhere Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(August 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: My vote in the poll was due to my response tot he text. If it doesn't hold my attention past two sentences, I probably hate the idea and am not about to waste my time with it.

Have no clue what the purpose of the post is, because after 3 sentences I failed to understand what you are attempting to accomplish... and it seems clear from the way it is constructed that it will not lead anywhere Heart

I apologise. I shall try & remember to do my best to allow for people with very short attention span in future posts.

(Wow. No "loads" or "bolix" yet...)
If I wanted to put up with all the shit you have listed there I'd join a fucking church.

I'm not that sociable. Most people suck.
You can go do all that shite Godnose, but I'll skip. I really do have much better things to do with my time.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 356 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Let's be honest Kingpin 109 6597 May 21, 2023 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 849 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14364 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  What topics surrounding religion get you riled up? Figbash 19 2030 September 4, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Lek
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3729 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27705 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 159479 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2906 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist