Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have to rant.
I have to rant.
Hello, I need to vent for a few minutes.

I don't know why I read any non-atheistic forums, because most Americans, it seems, are just complete idiots. I keep reading about world news and random internet forums, and I just keep getting surer and surer that humanity is doomed to spiral into some kind of neo-dark age.

Case one. A while ago, I stumbled across a forum online which was claiming, with a straight face, that unicorns and dragons are not around today because the dragons ate the unicorns and choked on their horns. I have never hoped so hard that someone was trolling.

Oh, and then you have the morons who dwell all over in my shitty small town. I was sitting in my High school U.S history class last year. (I was 17 then)
The class's teacher had spent all week talking about current politics, throwing all kinds of terms- democrat, republican, liberal, conservative, fundamentalist- you name it- around. At the end of probably the fourth day of that, a complete moron asked what a democrat was. Then he said that he never watches the news. Ever.

About sixty percent of my class, it turned out, never watched the news, and had no idea what the teacher had been talking about for days, and it had taken them about a week to ask. When I said I was an Atheist on a separate occasion, they asked what it was. Then they used the "why are there still monkeys if evolution is true" argument on me.
When I did a report on gay rights, some of them argued that god hates homosexuals. When I said "No, the bible says that homosexuals should be put to death, do you really want to go down that road?", they started saying that we should indeed kill homosexuals, after a momentary and silent period of contemplation.
When my brother argued that a just god wouldn't have let the holocaust happen, christians in my class said that the jews were happier tortured and dead than alive without the true god.
Most of them were eighteen. The rest were seventeen. Easily old enough to know how the world works. All. . . just. . . pathetic.

I don't even live in the bible belt- I live in Wisconsin.

Yet, when told that China was economically passing America, they made all kinds of "ching chong" comments, and laughed about the stupid chinese sludge pits and fish ponds which they somehow believe make up the majority of the Chinese economy.

I wanted to scream at them. I couldn't even believe it. I don't understand how there are so many idiots in America. I really, really don't get it. You'd think that they would have to pick up on what a democrat is, even if they only watched Glenn Beck.

There is a generation of complete and utter idiots in our classrooms right now. Creationists put "Down With Evolution, we Want Revolution" signs on every single person's locker, and when I put up one pro-atheist demotivational poster on my locker, it got taken down in less than forty-five minutes. I put up another, and it lasted a day.

Look, sorry about this rant, but I just get incredibly angry with anyone who says that the holocaust was the best thing for jews.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: I have to rant.
* Violet hugs Aegrus.

It is my understanding that the world is out to screw you over... and if you let it do so without finding something worth living for: you are defeated. So pick yourself up and locate something meaningful Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
A cold hard fact is that a large chunk of the human race is either completely stupid or lives in willful ignorance. The sooner you come to terms with this, the easier life will be.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 30, 2011 at 4:02 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: A cold hard fact is that a large chunk of the human race is either completely stupid or lives in willful ignorance. The sooner you come to terms with this, the easier life will be.

However the sort of ignorance (not to mention sheer insanity) that guy described above is literally breath taking coming from a non-American perspective.

undefined
(August 30, 2011 at 5:07 am)Justtristo Wrote: However the sort of ignorance (not to mention sheer insanity) that guy described above is literally breath taking coming from a non-American perspective.

Unfortunately for we Americans, it is par for the course.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:Case one. A while ago, I stumbled across a forum online which was claiming, with a straight face, that unicorns and dragons are not around today because the dragons ate the unicorns and choked on their horns.

Well of course they were just wrong.

Although it's true that the dragons did indeed eat all the unicorns,everyone knows they did NOT choke on the horn(s). That it was only in 1902 the dragons allied with the werewolves to wipe out all the vampires. The werewolves trapped them and the dragons eated them. I fully understand your chagrin at the ignorance of some people. I think you should put a curse on them-as it turns out, I have beaut you can have for only $49.95. It makes their computer catch fire.

With that depth of willful ignorance, other,even more bizarre views come as no surprise. Tiger
There may be some area ripe for dissonance, but we have to give people credit for being people. Which as a rule makes them smarter than cauliflower (though not always as productive).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's the same exact thing over here by me... it's really saddening.

But look at the bright side, one day these dumb fucks will be my bosses because their parents are richer than mine. Great
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
It's in human nature to want to believe there is a God. the Majority of society is scared to admit that there is no God because there afraid of what happens when you die. It's simple, people would rather spend their life hoping that one day they get to go to heaven where oh joy, they get to spend eternity hovering around like a mindless blob of spirit worshipping God because it beats going to Hell where you burn for ever and ever... I don't care what happens when i die... because I'll be dead!
Beam me up NOW Scotty!! Geek There is no intelligent life here? Good one
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need to rant to other atheists mlmooney89 22 3555 June 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  God is Dead Rant ManMadeGod 5 1814 December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ManMadeGod
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Rant Mode. Some Religious People Are Really Good. Mudhammam 10 2333 March 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Rant against anti-atheist agnostics. Whateverist 338 57918 February 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: comet
  Chriatian Phoenix's Deadlt Rant jackson 65 8483 January 27, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Need to rant: stupid Christians Phazzle 13 3008 October 28, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: ForumMember77
  UConn Professor Defends Rant Manowar 3 1467 April 25, 2014 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7107 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Just a little rant: Chris.Roth 23 8141 May 9, 2012 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Chris.Roth