Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander The Atheist: Religion Kills
Alexander The Atheist: Religion Kills
Quote:Parents Pray, Daughter Dies
March 27, 2008

An 11 year old girl from Weston, Wisconsin is dead because her parents decided to pray for her health to improve rather than seeking out the appropriate medical attention (source). Madeline Neumann died Sunday after her parents' month-long refusal to get her help for the treatable form of diabetes she had. Instead, they opted to simply hope for the best and attempted to faith heal their daughter, resulting in Madelin succumbing to diabetic ketoacidosis, which could have easily been treated with insulin. If ever there was a story that showed the capacity for the criminal destructiveness of faith and belief in the supernatural, this is certainly it.

The reaction of Madeline Neumann's parents was reported by the cited source:

The girl's parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann, attributed the death to "apparently they didn't have enough faith," the police chief said.

They believed the key to healing "was it was better to keep praying. Call more people to help pray," he said.

The mother believes the girl could still be resurrected, the police chief said.

That's right, according to Madelin's parents they apparently did not have enough faith. As far as I am concerned, not only did the Neumann's have too much faith they did not have enough good reason to get their daughter appropriate medical care. In fact, the Madelin's sacrificed both their reason and their daughter on the altar of faith and superstition.

To add insult to injury, Leilani Neumann actually thinks her daughter could be resurrected, and we can only assume that she believes faith is what can make this happen. Her parents seem completely oblivious to their role and criminal responsibility in the death of their daughter, instead focusing on a lack of faith and wishful thinking to cure her. Unfortunately, stupidity and religious faith are not valid defenses for involuntary murder and criminal negligence, both of which these parents should be charged with.

[Read More Here]

OK, I will go as far as saying it isn't actually religion itself that kills, it's ignorance but religion is still implicitly involved because it encourages that ignorance, it encourages people to be satisfied with the lot, to be staisfied with an ignorance based explanation of the universe, the world and their bodies.

This case was a while back so if anyone knows what happened to the parents (did they get prosecuted) I'd like to know ... is stupidity a crime? No but maybe it's important to tell people that this kind of thing is unacceptable ... burn the person who told them all that healing crap at the stake Devil

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Alexander The Atheist: Religion Kills
I think the parents just badly and mortally misunderstood.. like the story of the woman in the flood turning away boats because she was waiting for divine intervention, when God replied that he'd sent the boats.
Right, but the problem with that is you end up with the attitude the previous pope had. After getting shot and having to undergo several hours of surgery, he said that the Virgin Mary was guiding the bullet. So no thanks to the doctors and surgeons who actually saved his life, but thank some invisible force that managed to steer the bullet away from vital organs yet failed miserably from steering the bullet away from the actual pope himself...
I think that's entirely different. what the Pope said is a meaningless statement at best. The whole saint thing is a very dodgy interpretation anyway but then that's a whole other story.

He wasn't saying the surgeons weren't needed. He was saying he was lucky the bullet hit in a place that meant his life could be saved. Saying it in a way that wouldn't be superstitious but in keeping with his beliefs. It's a throwaway comment as much as "thank my lucky stars".
Simply yet another example of the futility of prayer and faith, I suggest.
But it won't register with the parents.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(March 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think the parents just badly and mortally misunderstood.. like the story of the woman in the flood turning away boats because she was waiting for divine intervention, when God replied that he'd sent the boats.

Which just demonstrates religion's way of stealing credit for the good that real people do.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(March 24, 2009 at 6:51 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote:
(March 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think the parents just badly and mortally misunderstood.. like the story of the woman in the flood turning away boats because she was waiting for divine intervention, when God replied that he'd sent the boats.

Which just demonstrates religion's way of stealing credit for the good that real people do.

*thumbs up* I hate when something happens, and people say thank god. Whether there is a god or not, god had nothing to do with it, somebody made a choice to do something which led to the good thing happening.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10701 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19774 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49210 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5181 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused