Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I think I'm becoming an Apatheist
I think I'm becoming an Apatheist
I've listened to the same tired old arguments from Christians here for purchasing their wonder product "God", containing "Salvation", "Jesus", "Sin", "Hell", "souls not included" etc, throwing out buzzwords like there's no tomorrow. I'm struggling to even read half of the endless stream of words they put out these days. Their sales pitch is quite frankly, awful. If there is a god, they failed miserably to convert me (on the assumption they're trying to as opposed to trolling of course).

I've tried to reinvigorate my love for discussion with them by watching Atheist Experience, George Carlin and Carl Sagan talk about issues of varying importance but I have to admit my passion for engaging them in debate is waning rapidly. Several times since I've joined this forum I've deleted my entire response because I no longer cared.

I'm developing a lack of interest towards belief or lack of belief in a deity. The label "God" used in any context is as meaningless to me as "great moogly googly". I no longer even care arguing about qualifiers for god's existence to my fundie mother or defending what atheism is with my college friend.

What's happening? Are Christians and other theists, by presenting their case for a deity so poorly and unconvincingly, to blame for this sudden lack and downward spiral of enthusiasm?
RE: I think I'm becoming an Apatheist
(November 20, 2011 at 2:42 am)Welsh cake Wrote: I've listened to the same tired old arguments from Christians here for purchasing their wonder product "God", containing "Salvation", "Jesus", "Sin", "Hell", "souls not included" etc, throwing out buzzwords like there's no tomorrow. I'm struggling to even read half of the endless stream of words they put out these days. Their sales pitch is quite frankly, awful. If there is a god, they failed miserably to convert me (on the assumption they're trying to as opposed to trolling of course).

I've tried to reinvigorate my love for discussion with them by watching Atheist Experience, George Carlin and Carl Sagan talk about issues of varying importance but I have to admit my passion for engaging them in debate is waning rapidly. Several times since I've joined this forum I've deleted my entire response because I no longer cared.

I'm developing a lack of interest towards belief or lack of belief in a deity. The label "God" used in any context is as meaningless to me as "great moogly googly". I no longer even care arguing about qualifiers for god's existence to my fundie mother or defending what atheism is with my college friend.

What's happening? Are Christians and other theists, by presenting their case for a deity so poorly and unconvincingly, to blame for this sudden lack and downward spiral of enthusiasm?

Welsh Cake,

I feel much the same way as you.
So my advice to you is to work on defending your positions if the need arises and not actively argue with theists.
undefined
I believe that at this point, I've heard and read every argument there is both for and against the existence of deities. I find the arguments for deity non-compelling - and it's not for lack of trying.

Unless someone comes up with a shiny new argument that no one has thought of in the last few millennia, I'm just not interested in the sales pitch.

Is is closed-minded to decline to hear and debate/argue tired old arguments you've heard before many times? I think not.

Edited to add: I'm here for the company. And the lulz.
I think you've become so narrow minded WC that you're gradually dissmissing any POV other than your own. You have zero arguments that I've seen and you're walling yourself in so that you're perfectly insulated from questioning yourself. Putting the blame on others is convenient. How many of the facts and or truths presented here are new? None I'd suggest. All that changes is your understanding. If you're saying you're closed to learning, then be honest and face that.
(November 20, 2011 at 3:28 am)I_Blaspheme Wrote: I believe that at this point, I've heard and read every argument there is both for and against the existence of deities. I find the arguments for deity non-compelling - and it's not for lack of trying.

Unless someone comes up with a shiny new argument that no one has thought of in the last few millennia, I'm just not interested in the sales pitch.

Is is closed-minded to decline to hear and debate/argue tired old arguments you've heard before many times? I think not.

Edited to add: I'm here for the company. And the lulz.

No you're not closed minded.

As for tired arguments, lets not forget that the proposition of a sky being needs a convincing argument, which of course no theist can come up with, because it's all made up. And yes, that is tiring.

Atheism doesn't need an argument because we aren't proposing anything, atheism "just is", so I think you've been unfair to say the same tired arguments from "both sides".

I know a couple of people who just don't care whether there is god or not, they actually do not give a monkeys. It is so unimportant it is a non subject. So you're not alone.

(November 20, 2011 at 2:42 am)Welsh cake Wrote: I've listened to the same tired old arguments from Christians here for purchasing their wonder product "God", containing "Salvation", "Jesus", "Sin", "Hell", "souls not included" etc, throwing out buzzwords like there's no tomorrow. I'm struggling to even read half of the endless stream of words they put out these days. Their sales pitch is quite frankly, awful. If there is a god, they failed miserably to convert me (on the assumption they're trying to as opposed to trolling of course).

Yes, yes they are.

And think of this, if there were no silly people proposing a silly sky daddy then there would be NO atheists as it would be a complete non subject - and that is where you are heading anyway.

(November 20, 2011 at 3:07 am)Justtristo Wrote:

Welsh Cake,

I feel much the same way as you.
So my advice to you is to work on defending your positions if the need arises and not actively argue with theists.

Arguing with theists is like being a moth flying to a light - you know you're going to burn yourself but you just can't help it.

(November 20, 2011 at 7:19 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I think you've become so narrow minded WC that you're gradually dissmissing any POV other than your own. You have zero arguments that I've seen and you're walling yourself in so that you're perfectly insulated from questioning yourself. Putting the blame on others is convenient. How many of the facts and or truths presented here are new? None I'd suggest. All that changes is your understanding. If you're saying you're closed to learning, then be honest and face that.

I always laugh when a theist calls an atheist closed minded ROFLOL How dare you!

You say he has "zero arguments" - firstly that is not true, secondly, he doesn't need any convincing arguments - YOU do.

YOUR made up sky fairy, YOUR burden of proof, YOUR convincing argument to find. And that's before we ask for evidence.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(November 20, 2011 at 7:19 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I think you've become so narrow minded WC that you're gradually dismissing any POV other than your own. You have zero arguments that I've seen and you're walling yourself in so that you're perfectly insulated from questioning yourself. Putting the blame on others is convenient. How many of the facts and or truths presented here are new? None I'd suggest. All that changes is your understanding. If you're saying you're closed to learning, then be honest and face that.

Fr0d0 people can become too open-minded that their brains fall out. So narrow mindedness to an extent that people's thinking is tempered by rigors the scientific method is a good thing.

undefined
(November 20, 2011 at 7:19 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I think you've become so narrow minded WC that you're gradually dissmissing any POV other than your own.
I don't dismiss it (I'm addressing my position as we speak) I just don't think yours is particularly meaningful. Recently, I've started to care less and less about your beliefs and my absence of belief.

Quote:You have zero arguments that I've seen and you're walling yourself in so that you're perfectly insulated from questioning yourself.
Don't shift the burden of proof, its not my place to spread the word of the gospel or whatever you do in your spare time. Also, you haven't read my OP - I am questioning myself.

Quote:Putting the blame on others is convenient.
And justified when it is the fault of others for failing to present their case for god. You Christians can't even get your act together and form a monolithic faith. You can't manage to work together for the greater good and form a single denomination.

Quote:If you're saying you're closed to learning, then be honest and face that.
I'm not closed to learning about reality, even though some news I often hear is inconsequential to me and my worldview i.e has no impact upon my day-to-day life. I'm saying I'm on the verge of no longer caring about discussing this "god" thingy.
(November 20, 2011 at 3:28 am)I_Blaspheme Wrote: Is is closed-minded to decline to hear and debate/argue tired old arguments you've heard before many times?

No. It's far from closed minded. It's actually a rather wise position to take. Religion is just a personal belief, there is no need to pay it any attention. Just like belief in pixies have fuck all to do with you or the real world.
I'm sick and tired of hearing the same old shit over and over, which is why I often take breaks away from the forum. Quite often I just don't wan't to hear about it. If people wish to talk stupid, let them. If people want to believe in the improbable, let them. Got nothing to do with me or this world.

Quote:I'm developing a lack of interest towards belief or lack of belief in a deity. The label "God" used in any context is as meaningless to me as "great moogly googly".
Very wise. I'm very apatheist myself, don't give a flying fuck about belief or not. Even if god was proven to exist, I'd still have no interest. I don't care.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(November 20, 2011 at 8:08 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Very wise. I'm very apatheist myself, don't give a flying fuck about belief or not. Even if god was proven to exist, I'd still have no interest. I don't care.

I think a lot of us on here just want to live nice, quiet lives and don't desire trying to deconvert people. However some theists don't allow us to do that. Because of this whole mindset of a cosmic battle between good and evil and that souls need to be saved, so they try and convert us to their particular brand of theism.
undefined
Er, I'd care if god was suddenly proven. Particularly because he is an absolute twat, and I'd be in trouble.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4644 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Iceland is becoming atheist. Jehanne 13 2721 February 8, 2018 at 12:08 am
Last Post: haig
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13346 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5658 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Is Atheism becoming a religion? liberalNutjob 0 1332 March 8, 2015 at 12:54 am
Last Post: liberalNutjob
  Becoming an angry atheist Natachan 98 19281 December 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Is Sam Harris becoming a pariah for the anti-religious cause? Mudhammam 90 14819 August 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I think theists who think atheists are going to hell are full of shit. Whateverist 11 3046 April 27, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  do u think people think im lame for not having a gf? leodeo 45 9124 November 20, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  How to prevent your child from becoming an atheist. Creed of Heresy 13 5118 September 21, 2013 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy