Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
RE: Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
(October 13, 2015 at 12:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: [quote='Whateverist the White' pid='1082797' dateline='1444752702']
Quote:Personally I don't burn for immortality.  Would the world be a more interesting place if no or few new mortal humans were needed since those born with the choice chose to continue themselves instead?
Those born with the means...don't forget the means.  When they roll out immortobots, guys like the Kochs will get them, not you and I.  What do you think...if people like the Kochs condensed and became over-representative in the way that their wealth currently does ..

That would be ironic if the Kochs actually expanded to inhabit all the human mind niches with their own clones - and NOBODY else. Would class struggle finally be at an end, perfect democracy become possible?

(October 13, 2015 at 12:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: ...would that be a more interesting world to you?  I don;t think so.  I think that it would be a petty and boring world.  Our mortality and diversity is the spice of life, imo.

Amen.
RE: Is it possible to upload our minds into a computer or in engineered living tissue?
(October 13, 2015 at 12:25 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: There is a recent thread on this topic:

Let's create an eternal blissful life through science

I don't think it will ever be possible, for reasons specified in that thread.  Nor do I think it would be desirable even if it were possible.  For reasons specified in that thread.

Yeah, I wondered if anyone might already have started a thread inspired by the article but was too lazy to check. I pretty much agree with you that it isn't likely possible at all. Your position there:

But this article inspired me to move on from that position to explore what questions that arise if in fact it were possible to transfer the exact mechanics of a particular brain to either a computer or a cultured biological medium. The author, I take it, is an expert in mapping the activity of the brain to the extent that is possible to do now. Yet he seems to have a sensible outlook on the desirability of the endeavor. So, fine, I'll set aside considerations of the difficulties (since he seems to acknowledge these are far from trivial).

Also, our brains may already be transferred to new media even now. Most brain cells are not replaced, but those in the hippocampus are and that is the area most responsible for memory*. So if we already rewrite memories from the original cells which stored them to new ones, then in principle there may in fact be a mechanism for doing so beyond the lifespan of the individual and that of his neurons. (Admittedly, I don't know whether long term memory relies on transference to new cells or if the life long generation of neurons in the hippocampus merely permits more memories.)

Be that as it may, I'm now willing to concede that it may eventually be possible in principle to create new vessels for the brain states which account for all of our experiences. But you of course are welcome to go on fighting the good fight. But I'm moving my fight a little further down the road to "so what if it is?"
It would be the sort of thing I could be convinced to commit acts of violence against, I can tell you that.  If there were a facilty pumping out immortal clones of the american aristocracy, this would be a 2nd amendment nuts dream dystopia. Pew pew you clone sons of bitches - I don't even feel bad, it's just easily replaced bioautomata. The foot soldiers of the ruling class (and there's where the tech would be deployed after the rich get first pass at the trough...military application). I mean, how close is the Koch brothers scenario to Day Z, eh...eh..eh? Tell me you'd feel bad gunning down an unending stream of cocksuckers with the full knowledge that you can;t actually kill them proper?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2015 at 1:25 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It would be the sort of thing I could be convinced to commit acts of violence against, I can tell you that.  If there were a facilty pumping out immortal clones of the american aristocracy, this would be a 2nd amendment nuts dream dystopia.  Pew pew you clone sons of bitches - I don't even feel bad, it's just easily replaced bioautomata.  The foot soldiers of the ruling class (and there's where the tech would be deployed after the rich get first pass at the trough...military application).  I mean, how close is the Koch brothers scenario to Day Z, eh...eh..eh?  Tell me you'd feel bad gunning down an unending stream of cocksuckers with the full knowledge that you can;t actually kill them proper?

Hell, I'd be happy to stake them through the heart, cut off their heads and burn the lot.  Shooting would be relatively neat and easy as well as rhythmic.
(October 13, 2015 at 6:25 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
Quote:In recent times it has become appealing to believe that your dead brain might be preserved sufficiently by freezing so that some future civilization could bring your mind back to life. Assuming that no future scientists will reverse death, the hope is that they could analyze your brain’s structure and use this to recreate a functioning mind, whether in engineered living tissue or in a computer with a robotic body. By functioning, I mean thinking, feeling, talking, seeing, hearing, learning, remembering, acting. Your mind would wake up, much as it wakes up after a night’s sleep, with your own memories, feelings and patterns of thought, and continue on into the world.

We have often batted around this question here.  Not sure if anyone would like to have another go at it.  If so, this article by Kenneth D. Miller could provide a nice jumping off point for another go around.  Based on this article which appeared in last Sunday's NY Times which is all I know of the author, I believe he thinks it is not an in principle impossibility.  However he thinks it would be an enormously difficult problem requiring centuries of conceptual and technological breakthroughs.  In other words, we're skating on thin ice here since we must assume we will somehow answer questions we can't yet specify.  Yet he seems to be as much an expert as anyone we might like to find, and the article is pitched to our interested layman level.

Extended quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinio....html?_r=0

In short it is possible but the larger issue becomes is with ethics and technology and our knowledge we do not have a fully grasp  over 
sentience or fully understand the mind, one we finally really understand then we can and if we have the technology upload away.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Me and my Dad used to have this conversation alot. Hes always had this fantasy of immortality by having his consciousness uploaded to a really advanced computer. Ultimately it always ended like this;
"Right so, you die but someone uploads a copy of your mind to a computer. It acts like you. Is it you?"
"Yes."
"Ok, turns out there was a mistake. You're not dead. Is it still you?"
"Yes, we're both me."
"Nope. One of you is the original, the other simply has the same set memories. It may be living in the sense that it has consciousness but you are two completely different individuals. One just happens to be a replica of the other. You're similar but your paths diverge at the point the copy is created. *You* are your brain, he is whatever equivalent of a brain he happens to have. The information on that is just that, information. When your brain dies so will you."

Eventually he would concede the point begrudgingly then suddenly have to do something.
The only way to actually achieve real immortality in a sense we would recognize would be to make it so brain death was impossible. However, the point could be made that since we replace most of our bodies cells over a seven year period we actually die multiple times before we classify ourselves as being officially dead. We are replaced by exact copies multiple times in our "lifetimes" yet we do not acknowledge the fact in our day to day lives. The person I am now is literally not the person who was known as me seven years ago, he is very dead. I simply have his memories.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Yes, it is.

Go to http://www.mindz4u.com

Download robotme.exe

Follow the simple instructions, and within 4-600 years a terminator version of you will arrive in the post.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 13, 2015 at 11:54 am)Rhythm Wrote: What do we do /w the originals...is it off to the meatgrinder, lol?  What happens in a dispute between the original and the copy?  Can you murder yourself, or would it be considered suicide, or even less, property damage, or maybe it would be seen as akin to getting a piercing?  Theres little restriction as to what we can do with our own bodies, even if it incurs harm.
(I finally had an idea for a book, just in time for nanowrimo, yall rock)

Imagine there is a way to upload yourself to a machine. You decide to do it yourself. The scientist plugs you into a scanner. This reads the entire state of your brain, which neurons you have, how they are connected, the current voltage of each neuron, the number of vesicles currently traversing across your synaptic clefts etc.

It then simulates this on a super computer. There are a few tests performed to make sure that it thinks and talks like you and the results come back as positive. The scientist then turns round to you and says "Excellent. You have been uploaded into the computer. You can die now"
(October 16, 2015 at 3:52 am)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: The scientist then turns round to you and says "Excellent. You have been uploaded into the computer. You can die now"

You first, doc.
(October 16, 2015 at 3:52 am)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: Imagine there is a way to upload yourself to a machine. You decide to do it yourself. The scientist plugs you into a scanner. This reads the entire state of your brain, which neurons you have, how they are connected, the current voltage of each neuron, the number of vesicles currently traversing across your synaptic clefts etc.

It then simulates this on a super computer. There are a few tests performed to make sure that it thinks and talks like you and the results come back as positive. The scientist then turns round to you and says "Excellent. You have been uploaded into the computer. You can die now"

LOL, they'd probably be having that conversation /w the new me about the old me.  After all, if this was something we could do, and it were being done, I'm sure we'd have a chain of fiduciary responsibility layed out somewhere...and I doubt that it would side for the discarded or otherwise in need of replacing "me".   Someone has to sign the check for the procedure, lol.  The doctors don't spend much time socializing with the tumors they remove, with the problems they solved.....

It's be more like this - "Oh, btw, is there anything you'd like us to take from the body before we dispose of it?"  I could use a spare kidney on a friday night, myself.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Living organisms Interaktive 36 4953 March 3, 2023 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Living in Fear tackattack 59 9699 July 18, 2022 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 329 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Question about computer glasses purplepurpose 18 1738 November 24, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks vorlon13 13 1618 December 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I keep getting myself into shit Duke Guilmon 14 2996 August 23, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Into the abyss vorlon13 58 6197 January 12, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Scientists turn "straight" rats into "gay" rats. Silver 20 6168 November 6, 2015 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Blowing Scientists Minds Blondie 34 6964 October 22, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  What would happen/Is it possible Heat 17 3197 October 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More