Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 12, 2016 at 9:41 am)Drich Wrote: - if one could use the bible to reconcile "evolution" with creation?
Idle thoughts. I suppose we'll have to wait until that person materializes, won't we?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2016 at 9:41 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 6:39 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I grew up as a Christian and have been put off that god by the stories of Adam and Eve and floods vs what I've learned from other sources of information about evolution and reality.  Basically the stories of the bible, how they sound pretty made up, they involve magic, talking animals, illogical scenarios.

First impressions count the most, and my first impressions involving stories of God are already tarnished.  Add to that experience of debating with Muslims who have pretty much identical illogical stories.

Other than that I don't have a core disbelief in god really, I just see no evidence yet to say there's a god.

and if one could use the bible to reconcile "evolution" with creation?

You mean like that laughable farce of an explanation you provide where you try to have it both ways with your "monkey man/Garden of Eden" nonsense? Why would anyone take such convoluted "reasoning" seriously for even a moment, unless they are committed to salvaging the Biblical narrative at all costs?
(May 9, 2016 at 6:39 pm)Aroura Wrote: I had lots of little things that bothered me as a tween, teen and young adult. The bible having horrible lessons as well as contradictions was one, but even that and all the stupid answers from clergy and other adults did not kill my belief,  just moved it towards deism.

I think the thing that got me, and still gets me most, is realizing Zeus and Posidon and Odin and Ra were all manmade...therefore so are all of them. A modern day priest sprinkling holy water on a person and speaking a benediction is not in any way different from an ancient priest doing whatever their magic rites called for.

Then along came Q, and I realized this hypothetical alien fit most definitions of a god. So even if it turns out there is a conciousness that created us, it would just be another form of life. Advanced technology seems like magic and all that. Nothing "supernatural" exists, nor can it. It's a nonsense word. If there is magic, or dragons, or gods, or telekinesis, it would turn out in all cases that they have a natural causes and/or explanations, just like it has with everything else.

I believe the "q" thing as well. Why?

Because if and when God does reveal Himself and can be "proven" it will be done so in the manor in which the "federation" Identifies and classifies all "q". We will see them/Him as alien/Trans-dimensional being. With power or the technology to "create."

The idea that God has to be a zeus like character sitting in the clouds is beyond stupid. People often times 'canonize' aspects of God never mentioned in the bible. they steal from other religions and graft them onto Christianity and when those 'grafts' fail they believe the cannon of Christianity has failed. Again a lazy reason not to believe, because you have not even established or understand who/what God claims to even be. In short you or your religion of choice create a strawman and then you defeat the strawman.

God doesn't change but that does not mean our understanding of Him can't.
(May 9, 2016 at 7:12 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: The contradictions.

The fact that they need apologetics to explain their deity's "actions".

The fact that many of the claims have been proved wrong and there's no supporting evidence.

The fact that there are thousands of different denominations of the same religion.

People say contradictions all the time, but in 20 years of doing this I have yet to see one. What gets contradicted is their personal idea of God, not a biblical accounting of Him.
(May 9, 2016 at 8:29 pm)energizer bunny Wrote: i don't have a convincing reason for not believing in god. If god exist, great. If god doesn't exist, great. I remain neutral, neither for nor against the idea of a god. It doesn't have any impact on me. For me its religion that i strongly disbelieve. I find it very limiting, manipulative, and ignorant to reality. Religion condemns the authentic nature of man. Creating a division within themselves and against others which causes conflict within and without. Using god, Jesus, and others as a means to control people.

Actually Biblical Christianity is the exact opposite of Control. It is freedom. It is freedom from rules, 'morality', from sin.
Lol, it's definitely free of morality!!! I'll agree with you on that point, Drich!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(May 12, 2016 at 9:24 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 10:12 am)pocaracas Wrote: If there was a deity that wanted us to worship it, it would make itself known to us ALL.
As it stands, faulty human psychology seems to have been at work and generated all the presently known mythologies.

I'm open to "believing", if everyone suddenly starts "believing" in the same one deity (or deity group)... and, by believing, I mean "knowing".

And if that deity doesn't want "All" to worship him? What would he do then?

Well then.... maybe people shouldn't try to do god's job.
(May 9, 2016 at 9:40 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 8:29 pm)energizer bunny Wrote: i don't have a convincing reason for not believing in god. If god exist, great. If god doesn't exist, great. I remain neutral, neither for nor against the idea of a god. It doesn't have any impact on me. For me its religion that i strongly disbelieve. I find it very limiting, manipulative, and ignorant to reality. Religion condemns the authentic nature of man. Creating a division within themselves and against others which causes conflict within and without. Using god, Jesus, and others as a means to control people.

The purpose of religion is to get people to obey and to conform.  The local bigwigs are associated with the favorite local deity.  Consequently people must obey the local bigwig because he was appointed by the local deity to rule over the herd of dummies.  So when the local bigwig tells the herd of dummies to suit up and go charging over the hill to kill their neighbors they are doing the deity's will.  That's something they would be less inclined to do unless they are common outlaw killers and thieves.

Jeremiah 3:15 (CEV) = "Then I’ll appoint wise rulers who will obey me, and they will care for you like shepherds."

Religion, yes it is control. Biblical Christianity is freedom from it, or even the freedom to bind yourself in control. It's about what you understand, not about a specific standard.
(May 12, 2016 at 9:40 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(May 11, 2016 at 9:45 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Yeah it's always fun making people do that. Then on the other hand I really ought to eschew obfuscation more often.

It's a fumblerule too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumblerules

The above Wiki Wrote:
  • "Never use no double negatives."
  • "Eschew obfuscation."
  • "Prepositions are not words to end a sentence with."
  • "Avoid clichés like the plague."
  • "The passive voice should never be employed."
  • "You should not use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice."
  • "It is bad to carelessly split infinitives."
  • "No sentence fragments."
  • "Parentheses are (almost always) unnecessary."
  • "English is the crème de la crème of all languages."

Fumblerules are hilarious.

Self-referential humor is just the best. Especially with the edition of it being used in an ironic way to demonstrate something, like with these fumble rules.

It's just the fucking best. The cat's pajamas. The bee's knees. The dog's bollocks. The mutt's nuts. The fertile turtles.

New fumblerule I just made up. Does this really say anything other than "Try to reduce being redundant and making tautologies?" Big Grin

SillyTurtleMakingAFumbleRule Wrote:It is always important to at all times reduce and decrease and have less of all the unecessary and needless redundancies (or just plain redundancy full stop. Period). so they are decreased and reduced to make sure and double check and be certain that they are not redundant or tautological or like an unmarried bachelor or that they repeat or reiterate or restate the same point over and over on and on, filling your statement and your point and what you are saying with lots of words that basically reference the same thing and stuff over and over again and again, if you know what I mean, if you catch my drift, if you get what I'm saying.

...the scary part is that that just looks like me being normal LOL
(May 9, 2016 at 11:45 pm)Losty Wrote: There now that that's over. I wish I had some cool interesting thing but I don't know anything convincing. My only convincing thing is a lack of convincing reasons to believe in god.

What would be a convincing reason?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25517 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1548 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4159 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2641 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 87586 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8099 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10560 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22673 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 107064 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23913 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic