Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you actually believe in God?
RE: Why do you actually believe in God?
You talk about an ability to see a god...and then launch off into some silly shit about value.  WTF Mystic?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I see a star.

Someone else sees the same star and either:

(1) Actually sees some other stuff I can't see

Or

(2) Projects a load of meaning onto the star, and draws conclusions based on emotions

I don't know what else can be going on. I feel like some theists aren't living in the same reality as me.

Is there more going on in the sky, and with the star, than I'm aware of? Almost certainly. What do I know about it? Nothing. I'm not aware of it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Does free-will at all play a role in how you "love" a person or praise a person, or is it all forced by instinct?
When you respect a person, what is the belief of respect based upon? Why do you respect some people more then others?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 1, 2016 at 7:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You talk about an ability to see a god...and then launch off into some silly shit about value.  WTF Mystic?

The issue to me is when people cannot even perceive they have exact objective value,  it's not due to such things not being manifest knowledge we see and know, but it's due to people wanting to due do away with all spiritual signs of God.

It's no wonder these same people also say "we can't see God". 

When you become honest to yourself, then you can see a lot with the eyes of the soul, and you can see God clearly. Or rather when one stops their rebellion against the Divine and the connections to him,  then they can easily recognize the link of God and his living breathing name with us.
(July 1, 2016 at 7:52 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Does free-will at all play a role in how you "love" a person or praise a person, or is it all forced by instinct?

Free will is an illusion.

First of all we don't have free will over the circumstances we find ourselves in. We don't choose what choices we have to make.

Secondly we don't have free will over what our preference will be, what our experiences that influence our decisions are, other influencing factors - IE social, historical, cultural bias etc.

Thirdly neuroscience has disproved free will in that they can look at your brain and know what choice you will make up to 5 seconds before you are aware of making it. You don't really make a choice, you become aware of it and then rationalise it.

I don't choose to be hungry, nor do I choose to enjoy eating. I have preferences and pleasures and passions but I don't control what they are, I simply respond. It just happens.

(July 1, 2016 at 7:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: When you respect a person, what is the belief of respect based upon? Why do you respect some people more then others?

Because some people are more awesome than others.
How can you praise a single person for a single act without belief in free-will though?

What are you praising if they had no choice in the matter?

What are you actually respecting?
(July 1, 2016 at 8:00 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: Because some people are more awesome than others.

Awesome for what? You don't believe in free-will or merit type value. And are they objectively more awesome or is this a subjective awesome to you? And if it's the latter, what is the belief based upon?
(July 1, 2016 at 8:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: How can you praise a single person for a single act without belief in free-will though?

What are you praising if they had no choice in the matter?

What are you actually respecting?

How can I without free will? I can't help it, it just happens ;-)

I respect awesomeness. Respect is the appreciation of awesomeness.

Dude when you like music it's not an act of free will, correct? You are respecting the people who have managed to do something amazing or something you enjoy / appreciate. Simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5485 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25508 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1547 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4155 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2640 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 8424 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3492 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 87556 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8096 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10558 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished