Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 Facts Every Atheist Teen Must Know
RE: 100 Facts Every Atheist Teen Must Know
Quote:Religion, in my opinion, is a problem. A big, big problem.

In MY opinion, that attitude is simplistic and ignorant. It is not a position I will argue with you.

I repeat; atheism is about belief,not knowledge. There is no specific knowledge of any kind one needs to be an atheist. It's up to parents to decide what their kids 'need' to learn,not some stranger on the internet with an attitude.

Quote:I would prefer reading what you would do to improve the 100 Facts book (aside from burning it).

I'm sure you would,perhaps I and others have not been clear: Your little effort HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHEISM and everything to do with your personal beliefs/world view. EG I'd teach teenage kids Marx, Sun Tzu and Voltaire, get them to read Darwin,plus the major sacred books as PART of their education.. I would want them to decide for themselves what to believe or not. I would consider it my obligation to give them the information to make an informed choice. I would not have the arrogance to teach anyone that I KNOW any truth or insist that they accept MY world view..

I would teach these things AS A SKEPTIC, not as an atheist..Nor would I poison my children's minds with facile,fatuous generalistions about religion.

Bored now.
(August 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: I don't want to advocate one POV. I just want people to think critically and come to their own conclusion. This will lessen religion's influence.
Yet you think scientism is the only POV. I find that strange. You think that there is no merit in religion... I find that to be extremely arrogant and baselessly dissmissive.

(August 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: That's because we're finding that thinking outside of science is less and less useful to our daily lives. As for the genius of religious texts, I know not what you speak of.
Useful for material solutions yes. Useless in aiding creative thought for example. There's a huge wad of human endeavour that you're censoring out there.

If you don't know what that genius is aren't you at least interested in what it is before you destroy it? Are you the equivellant of those assholes that destroyed the libraries at Greece?

(August 29, 2011 at 4:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Logic and science are both a set of organized observations of the natural world. Exactly how one finds a god that is constantly defined as un-observible from within those walls is beyond me.
No self respecting scientist would ever be caught up with such a proposal: because they would know that it falls outside of their remit: as defined by science itself.

(August 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: There ARE more things to reality than what science knows, yes; but the things that we know about that have an effect on our reality are mostly documented by science or at least hinted about by mathematics.
You are still talking about subjects potentially addressable by science, where religion never ever is. Religious truth has nothing to do with phyisical mechanisms: if that's how you read it then you're way off subject.
Merit and factual reality are entirely different things Frodo. If you would like to argue against observed reality, or science, or whatever the hell else is aligned against superstition be my guest. That's definitely not where religions merits lie in my opinion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm glad you see that. Something of merit doesn't have to have a basis in factual reality. Factual reality helps as a base of reference sometimes.

So what the fuck was leviticus about then? The bible is a religious text with some practical advice on physical mechanisms, like what to eat to be healthy, or what kind of clothes to wear. To ignore that fact about religion is retarded.

Religion and mysticism were man's first attempt to understand the world and science is a refined approach at the same thing. There is no magic dividing line between the two. Oh wait, yes there is; evidence, science requires it, religion does not.
You've moved from understanding to observance. That obserance you mentioned was prescriptive and practical of it's time. Following the same prescription now would be illogical, and demonstrates the perspective we must keep that meaning to.

The Xtian bible says not a thing about material creation. From our materialist perspective we might want to make it so, but that doesn't change the fact.
What the bible says and what christians believe has long been a source of discordance Frodo. Great, anything that conflicts with reality is of course metaphoric.

So no

Creation, Exodus, (The Vast majority of the Histories) or New Testament. So god exists exactly how?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What the bible says and what christians believe has long been a source of discordance Frodo. Great, anything that conflicts with reality is of course metaphoric.

So no

Creation, Exodus, (The Vast majority of the Histories) or New Testament. So god exists exactly how?

Umm, are you actually trying to REASON with our resident Hobbit?What's next? Confusing him with evidence?

You know what you are? You're a masochist, that's what you are.Cool Shades

I've had the fool on ignore for ages.Took him off ignore once, about 6 months ago.That lasted about 24 hours.
It's true, I am. I'm like the dog that keeps chasing after the ball that's never thrown.
(August 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Not so... I say you should be able to read such a thing by the time you are 9. But I

Harsh because your words imply to me that everyone should have your capacity for learning. They don't, troll. ;-)

(August 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: I told you on the first page what teens are interested in. sex, drugs (inc. booze), money, and their talents

You mentioned that 1000 topics would be better than 100, yet offered only four; three of which are already described, and one of which is too generic a topic.

Are there any other topics that you believe would interest teens?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1667 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Wink 100% proof why atheism is True!!! Edward John 89 13016 November 10, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 63032 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Facts about Atheists Heat 21 3274 November 19, 2015 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Alex K
  This is so funny a must see Manowar 16 4395 September 28, 2015 at 6:42 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Religion must end. Spooky 60 9797 April 24, 2015 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Man Crucified Every Year Manowar 10 3179 April 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Must We Know Everything? Jenny A 24 3785 March 19, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Famed biologist says religion ‘is dragging us down’ and must be eliminated Mudhammam 24 5670 February 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  10 Questions for Every Atheist Clueless Morgan 38 6625 July 16, 2014 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72