Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship?
RE: Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship?
(May 18, 2023 at 5:58 pm)emjay Wrote:
(May 18, 2023 at 5:30 pm)KerimF Wrote: @Angrboda

Please consider that, on my side, not all attached images or video could be seen, as it is the case with the last one you uploaded or perhaps you posted its link.

It's just a picture of Homer Simpson saying one of his most memorable lines.

I really hope you're not a sock... basically a sleeper cell of the artist formerly known as End of Atheism (et al)... because you actually seem quite nice. So till that's resolved I'm keeping you at arm's length. But if the word is what is what I think it is, it's ironic because it's exactly what's lacking here.

Signed up in 2017.  There are several suddenly who are old, old names.  All those missing socks seem to be here.  No need to look in your washer or dryer for them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 18, 2023 at 6:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 18, 2023 at 5:58 pm)emjay Wrote: It's just a picture of Homer Simpson saying one of his most memorable lines.

I really hope you're not a sock... basically a sleeper cell of the artist formerly known as End of Atheism (et al)... because you actually seem quite nice. So till that's resolved I'm keeping you at arm's length. But if the word is what is what I think it is, it's ironic because it's exactly what's lacking here.

Signed up in 2017.  There are several suddenly who are old, old names.  All those missing socks seem to be here.  No need to look in your washer or dryer for them.

Yeah, that's what I figure, but I just hope I'm wrong. I have been wrong about these sorts of things before, and on this side of the fence (ie as a non-admin) it's easy to read too much into things like coincidences.
(May 18, 2023 at 5:34 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(May 18, 2023 at 4:51 pm)KerimF Wrote: If we exclude chemicals, the 'thing' that should exist in real friendship and may not exist in marriage, is the missing word here that you all know, but you insist not to say it to tease me Big Grin

Let me correct your misunderstanding. Nobody is teasing you. We simply don't want to be spoonfed your bullshit. We want to spoonfeed it to ourselves even less. So if you aren't going to make a point kindly sod all the way off.

You surprised me really because from all what I said in this thread, you saw just my last 'two words' and you didn't even notice what I posted after them (Big Grin). The latter means, in real life between friends (not necessarily very close friends) that I am kidding, otherwise I didn't need to add anything.

For instance, this misunderstanding happened with other members too. The problem is that I, being a totally independent man, likes to see every person I meet as being a possible good friend even if he likes sometimes to be somehow rude in his comments for his self-satisfaction. 

Perhaps I missed (or refuse to see) that, on the other side of the world, most people had no choice but to be dependent ones and have, therefore, no right to expect friendship with any stranger (mainly if his name is Kerim, worse if Abdul Karim Smile ) Anyway, I used thinking that, in general, atheists have more chance to be freer and more loving than theists are (including Christians). For instance, to most Christians loving others is commanded by God (commanded as in the army), while it is to an atheist a  personal matter related to his own free-will only.
Answering: What is my point?
https://atheistforums.org/thread-49852.html
(May 18, 2023 at 5:42 pm)Ravenshire Wrote:
(May 18, 2023 at 4:51 pm)KerimF Wrote: A man loved really a woman. And the woman welcomed his love because she was seeing in him the man of her dreams. She lived with him, and both knew how to help each other and be happy. But, at the same time, she hoped, deep in herself, that, someday, they will be able to be one for life, by marriage. A marriage, anywhere on earth, is based on a contract which has to be confirmed by a third party representing a certain authority, civil or religious (or, on the sea, by the captain of a ship Smile ).

On the other hand, the real friendship which could exist between two humans, also for life, doesn't need being approved by any authority (a third party).

If we exclude chemicals, the 'thing' that should exist in real friendship and may not exist in marriage, is the missing word here that you all know, but you insist not to say it to tease me Big Grin

Your obviously searching for the word "love," but you couldn't be more wrong. It's entirely possible to have friends you do not love, just as it's possible to love someone you don't particularly like.

Thousands, even tens of thousands, of people will imprint on your life. Some positively, some negatively, some indifferently. Within those who imprint positively, there is a spectrum we call friends. Some are friends for life, others for a season, and a goodly chunk are people we are merely friendly with. To claim that love is the defining characteristic of all friendships is certified USDA Grade A bullshit.

I am very Sorry Sad
It is not the word 'love'. Love could have many different meanings. The missing word is a practical one and cannot have more than one meaning Big Grin
I noticed that there is 1 hour left only before the missing mysterious word that all of you know will be revealed.
It is formed by 5 letters only Smile
Guessing it now shouldn't be hard.
@KerimF

Quote:I, being a totally independent man, 

Pardon me while I laugh til my gums bleed.

Boru

Edit: the word is ‘mango’. Anyone who gives you a mango is your friend.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 18, 2023 at 7:08 pm)KerimF Wrote: I noticed that there is 1 hour left only before the missing mysterious word that all of you know will be revealed.

And then you leave?  Again.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 18, 2023 at 7:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: @KerimF

Quote:I, being a totally independent man, 

Pardon me while I laugh til my gums bleed.

Boru

You don't have to believe me. I sometimes have a doubt to how long I can still be so.

If you read my posts, you would hear me say that I don't need to follow even my own pre-programmed instincts of survival, superiority, selfishness and of applying a certain justice on others.

Am I the only one like this? I guess not.
Jesus too (being real or not) on the Gospel is also a totally independent person,

Did Jesus defend himself or run away before his crucifixion?
Did he show up as a VIP or an important master looking for servants under his commands (as in the army)?
Was he selfish in whatever he did?
Did he judge and/or condemn anyone in the name of any justice?

I mean since the nature of your being doesn't allow you to believe that a character as of Jesus could be real, I am afraid that you have no choice but to laugh at me too Big Grin
(May 18, 2023 at 7:23 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 18, 2023 at 7:08 pm)KerimF Wrote: I noticed that there is 1 hour left only before the missing mysterious word that all of you know will be revealed.

And then you leave?  Again.

Sorry, do you ask me really to leave?
I have no reason not to respect your will since you seem owning this forum... right?
(May 18, 2023 at 6:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 17, 2023 at 8:52 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: The cosmic patrol force, There are other colors.  In the comics, they are weak against the color yellow.

The original GL (Alan Scott) was weak against wood. The yellow thing came later. So, the best defense against the Lanterns would be

[Image: S497663_2.jpg]

Boru

You monster
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5991 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6601 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 52454 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Für Friendship Sam Alexander 3 495 July 11, 2022 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17127 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 25287 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2385 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 17811 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 80634 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4785 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama