Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Random Humorous Things - A Light-Hearted Thread
RE: Random Humorous Things - A Light-Hearted Thread
Tyrants! [Image: sad_shakefist.gif?rlkey=c6ncu7n6du3q2y7wz7vcldeni]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 23, 2024 at 4:13 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Tyrants! [Image: sad_shakefist.gif?rlkey=c6ncu7n6du3q2y7wz7vcldeni]

You called?

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(June 23, 2024 at 4:23 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(June 23, 2024 at 4:13 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Tyrants!   [Image: sad_shakefist.gif?rlkey=c6ncu7n6du3q2y7wz7vcldeni]

You called?

I had to look up "Cluedo".

It was as I suspected.
Disappointing theists since 1968!
(June 23, 2024 at 4:13 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Tyrants!   [Image: sad_shakefist.gif?rlkey=c6ncu7n6du3q2y7wz7vcldeni]

That’s offensive!! The proper term is ‘autocratic despots’.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
This is getting way too off topic for this thread... perhaps you guys can fork this to some other thread?

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m confused. You seem to want 1) the 30/30 rule to be more efficient and effective, 2) the 30/30 rule to be enforced, but with using other rules to achieve the same results, and 3) the 30/30 rule to only be applied in some threads and not others. Let’s do these one at a time.

Merely giving options.
Personally, I think the rule in unnecessary, but if you deem it necessary, then it should be automated.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 1. I’m not a computer guy, but I imagine automating the rule is doable and probably not difficult. But it would actively make things less efficient than doing it manually. When some makes a post that gets caught in our spam filter and doesn’t show up on the boards, the user tries to repost (often several times), which requires Staff to take action on each and every rejected post. Then, the user either hits up the Questions for Staff forum wanting to know why their posts aren’t posting, or they PM every Staff member with the same question. I can’t imagine that an automated 30/30 rule would be any different.

Yeah, automatically replacing the img tag with a mod warning, potentially containing a link to the rules page might be more understandable than blocking the whole post like you do with spam content.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 2. Since new users don’t seem to understand the 30/30 rule, I can only surmise that they haven’t read ANY of the rules. What difference does it make if a post is bounced for one rule or another?

Hence the suggestion to include that usual warning you guys put in the automagically edited post.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 3. Other than the Adult section, we simply cannot have different rules for different parts of the Forum. That would be so unwieldy as to make ANY moderation all but impossible.

If it's all done manually and it's a single rule, then meh...

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: And no, 30 days/30 posts isn’t too long to have new members wait. Each and every active member here (apart from a couple of newbies) managed to do it. You yourself were subject to this rule when you joined up, and here you are - nearly 12 years and 20K posts later. If you didn’t leave in a huff over the 30/30 rule, why would you suspect that other people would?

Boru

Perhaps when I came along, all I wanted was to write stuff and didn't care about the images.
But everytime I see that warning about images on a thread like this one that I think, "oh come on guys, what is the point??"
(and it's been such a rare occurrence that it's taken me until now to actually say something about it)

You already have an automated spam filter effectively blocking posts that are spammy (thank you for remindng me about it), so the spam excuse is a bit moot already.
(June 23, 2024 at 4:52 pm)pocaracas Wrote: This is getting way too off topic for this thread... perhaps you guys can fork this to some other thread?

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’m confused. You seem to want 1) the 30/30 rule to be more efficient and effective, 2) the 30/30 rule to be enforced, but with using other rules to achieve the same results, and 3) the 30/30 rule to only be applied in some threads and not others. Let’s do these one at a time.

Merely giving options.
Personally, I think the rule in unnecessary, but if you deem it necessary, then it should be automated.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 1. I’m not a computer guy, but I imagine automating the rule is doable and probably not difficult. But it would actively make things less efficient than doing it manually. When some makes a post that gets caught in our spam filter and doesn’t show up on the boards, the user tries to repost (often several times), which requires Staff to take action on each and every rejected post. Then, the user either hits up the Questions for Staff forum wanting to know why their posts aren’t posting, or they PM every Staff member with the same question. I can’t imagine that an automated 30/30 rule would be any different.

Yeah, automatically replacing the img tag with a mod warning, potentially containing a link to the rules page might be more understandable than blocking the whole post like you do with spam content.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 2. Since new users don’t seem to understand the 30/30 rule, I can only surmise that they haven’t read ANY of the rules. What difference does it make if a post is bounced for one rule or another?

Hence the suggestion to include that usual warning you guys put in the automagically edited post.

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 3. Other than the Adult section, we simply cannot have different rules for different parts of the Forum. That would be so unwieldy as to make ANY moderation all but impossible.

If it's all done manually and it's a single rule, then meh...

(June 23, 2024 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: And no, 30 days/30 posts isn’t too long to have new members wait. Each and every active member here (apart from a couple of newbies) managed to do it. You yourself were subject to this rule when you joined up, and here you are - nearly 12 years and 20K posts later. If you didn’t leave in a huff over the 30/30 rule, why would you suspect that other people would?

Boru

Perhaps when I came along, all I wanted was to write stuff and didn't care about the images.
But everytime I see that warning about images on a thread like this one that I think, "oh come on guys, what is the point??"
(and it's been such a rare occurrence that it's taken me until now to actually say something about it)

You already have an automated spam filter effectively blocking posts that are spammy (thank you for remindng me about it), so the spam excuse is a bit moot already.

Our spam filter is not 100%. Sometimes spam gets through, sometimes it blocks things that aren’t spam.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(June 23, 2024 at 5:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Our spam filter is not 100%. Sometimes spam gets through, sometimes it blocks things that aren’t spam.

Boru

Spam filters are notoriously more complex than a simple parse and replace under the equally simple condition of user "age" lower than 30 days and post count lower than 30.
Making the 30/30 rule fully automated wouldn't be all that helpful for staff.

For one thing, it's not that big a deal to handle manually. It's good for someone on staff to see all posts/new posters.

For another thing, anyone who decides to immediately break a rule gives us a heads up that they need to be monitored for a time.

Often the people who show us and immediately break the 30/30 rule already know the rule because they have been here before and been banned...read - sock.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Curious, what's the second thirty in that fraction? I get the first thirty is a month.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Thirty days and thirty posts.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just some random thoughts Sigiere 1 736 May 22, 2023 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Random tank chatter robvalue 21 3739 April 1, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The "You really mustn't derail this thread" thread. Edwardo Piet 69 9847 January 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The "You really must derail this thread" thread. Marsellus Wallace 20 4564 January 19, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Random revolutionary ideas HorribleOffensiveScouser91 3 2840 November 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: jonb
  WTF Photos (Humorous Edition) thesummerqueen 16 7376 October 26, 2012 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Faith No More