Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God is the great spirit friend
RE: God is the great spirit friend
(March 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm)jstrodel Wrote: If other people confirm the experiences, that is a good sign it is from God. Also if it produces good fruit in your life, if it leads you to holiness. If it agrees with Jesus Christ.

Why is that? Why isn't the fact that my mind spiraled out of control a good indication that those with similar experiences are also hallucinating even if they are lucky enough to not spiral out of control?
(March 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm)Mr Infidel Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 10:52 pm)jstrodel Wrote: millions of testimonies that scream that God is real.

If the testimonies were valid, everyone would believe without question.

How do you know that? What if God intentionally hides H'shem to test if people want to be good people or not?
(March 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm)jstrodel Wrote: If other people confirm the experiences, that is a good sign it is from God.

A feeling or emotion is not proof of one's claim. Also, the Argumentum ad populum theory will not cut it either. It is not so, just because many people believe it.

(March 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm)jstrodel Wrote: How do you know that? What if God intentionally hides H'shem to test if people want to be good people or not?

It is already proven that people can be good without a belief in a deity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm)jstrodel Wrote: If other people confirm the experiences, that is a good sign it is from God. Also if it produces good fruit in your life, if it leads you to holiness. If it agrees with Jesus Christ.

Why is that? Why isn't the fact that my mind spiraled out of control a good indication that those with similar experiences are also hallucinating even if they are lucky enough to not spiral out of control?

Well, many people are hallucinating. But God talks to people that have mental illness also. If you think God is telling you to hurt yourself, obviously don't do it. But if God talks to you, and it seems different from other things that you experience because of mental illness, it may or may not be from God. If other people confirm it, it is from God.

God does not turn away from people just because they have difficulties in life. God wants to be close to people, that doesn't mean that H'Shem heals people right away, but God wants to be close to people regardless of whatever they have.

It is a serious thing to believe that God is talking to you, so the Bible says to test everything, hold on to the good and avoid every kind of evil. Don't hurt yourself. Don't do anything rash, spend all your money, etc. But if you have a leading or feel like God is leading you to do something good, I would follow it.
(March 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm)Mr Infidel Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Having mystical experiences does not make you crazy.

It does when no one else around you experiences the same thing that you do.

Billions of people can corroborate jstrodel's experience.

What objective way do you have of being certain that your brain/mind isnt deluded in its blindness to that which other brains/minds assert as real and is detected by their senses?

I like to use the example of a hot chilli pepper.

The exact same chilli is variously reported by different people as; not hot at all, mildly hot, extremely hot, inedibly hot...and so forth.

Now, if the atheist asserts that "The Chilli" at one end of the sensory spectrum - doesnt taste hot, on what basis can they assert that the person who DOES detect (scoville) heat is mistaken/deluded?

Some folk can eat a red chilli and truthfully claim it is mild and others can equally claim the opposite - that it is inedibly hot.
Likewise, one person can claim to have heard the voice of God and others say they heard nothing.

[Image: intro-hot-chilli.jpg]
(March 19, 2013 at 11:07 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: Billions of people can corroborate jstrodel's experience.

I reiterate: The Argumentum ad populum theory will not cut it either. It is not so, just because many people believe it.
~ Erin Hunter
You are a sincere person Jstrodel. The thing is - sometimes - I miss the hallucinations and the feeling I got with them. But I figured if God wants to communicate to me or make me see the unseen world or Imam Mahdi wants to guide me, or whatever, he can do it while I take medications. But I take medications and there is no more mystical experiences. Actually, if it does start to come back, I talk to the doctor and increase the dose, and it stops. So then, if it's spiritual and God powered, how come medications can stop them?
Perhaps the cruel and sarcastic response to your question Mystic, is that medication stopped these experiences because your "god" was an illness....lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps the cruel and sarcastic response to your question Mystic, is that medication stopped these experiences because "god" is an illness....lol.

Is it not called the god spot?
~ Erin Hunter
That awsome Seattle legend Judah Smith once recounted how occasionally, some people he preaches to come up to him afterwards and excitedly gush about how he must have an ''annointing''
and how ''it's the voice of God talking'' etc etc.

And Judah Smith says to them...""Nah. I've actually heard God talk. He's MUCH BETTER than me.''

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 3 545 June 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is the Holy Spirit Misleading You? Rhondazvous 251 85404 July 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Constantine the Great Der/die AtheistIn 14 4595 July 3, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tell Me Again How Great Fucking Xtians Are Minimalist 44 13563 June 26, 2017 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Lightbulb Support for a friend EllHarris412 52 6318 August 13, 2016 at 6:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God: The Great Tempter Rhondazvous 146 18912 March 5, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7313 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5412 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Jesus is my friend Fidel_Castronaut 22 5996 July 28, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What Exactly Does the Holy Spirit Do? Nope 92 17074 June 3, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: robvalue