Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Inerrancy - mandatory to be Christian?
RE: Biblical Inerrancy - mandatory to be Christian?
(March 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm)AnonyMoose Wrote: Is biblical inerrancy a mandatory component of christianity? Are there any major christian sects that do not believe the bible to be 100% true?

Actually - ALL major xtian religions have admitted that some of the bible is not literally true - THEY call those passages - the PARABLES -= which are fictional stories that are used to make a moral argument.

And yes - the Catholic Religion has also admitted that parts of the bible are not reality - including genesis. In fact - when they "pardoned" Galileo - they admitted to the earth being a sphere - spinning on its axis - and orbiting the sun - all against the bible.

Christianity is largely a cafeteria religious belief - and the only common denominator is that "christ" is one of the gods. Even if you were to find a sect that claimed that the bible must be accepted as inerrant - you would find few from that sect educated past high school - who would agree with that. And the sects themselves RARELY if ever refuse the person giving them money - which is how they determine who belongs .

In fact - most xtians do not accept everything their religions say - especially when it comes to political situations. I would suggest that virtually ALL xtian sects are against abortion - yet most abortions in the USA are on women in those religious sects.

Studies have already shown that the younger and more educated you are - the less likely you are to believe in this stuff. ANd it also showed that most children do not believe - but prefer to stay in the church instead of creating family problems.

(March 21, 2013 at 1:19 am)jstrodel Wrote: I did not mean to say that there are no atheists who are not decent people, only to pose a question to the atheist community. There are many atheists whom I admire.

Why make blasphemy the gold standard for acceptance of true atheism?

To define the word "Blasphemy" -= you need to prove a god exists to do it ti
ANd no one has

SO the word is actually meaningless
(March 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm)jstrodel Wrote: I would like to be admired by atheists. I don't think our value systems are very apart, in some ways.
Depends on the atheist. Some people here are genuine and respectful and it's a shame they'll go to Hell.

[Image: tumblr_md95uagwKT1qck737.gif]

Man, it's gonna suck for my friend Varun. Been a pious Muslim all his life, doing everything the religion tells him to do. Shame he's going to Hell too, right?

Pathetic.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: ...it's gonna suck for my friend Varun. Been a pious Muslim all his life, doing everything the religion tells him to do. Shame he's going to Hell too, right?
Actually, no. Varun, if she is pious and believes the tenants of here religion out of love, will enjoy Heaven.
(March 24, 2013 at 8:16 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: ...it's gonna suck for my friend Varun. Been a pious Muslim all his life, doing everything the religion tells him to do. Shame he's going to Hell too, right?
Actually, no. Varun, if she is pious and believes the tenants of here religion out of love, will enjoy Heaven.

Why is that? Islam is much different than Christianity; hell, the Quoran says right off the bat that if you're not a Muslim you ain't getting to heaven. But of course, Christianity is true, right? No reason for it to be, it just is. Islam is wrong, but it's okay, God's a nice guy, he'll spare them.

Let's say your post made sense in any way. So Varun goes to heaven. But an atheist who is active in his community, walks the neighbor's dogs for them, has an honest job, works hard, donates to charity, hosts soup lines for the homeless, and raises a nice family is going to Hell?

You and your God is pathetic. Thank God he doesn't exist, he might send me to Hell for saying that. Can't wait for the rapist who asks for forgiveness go to Heaven though, that sounds like fun.

(March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: ..Islam is much different than Christianity; hell, the Quoran says right off the bat that if you're not a Muslim you ain't getting to heaven. But of course, Christianity is true...Islam is wrong, but it's okay, God's a nice guy, he'll spare them.
Every tradition has within it some spiritual light, to greater or lesser degree. All people of sincere faith have an openness to receive God and will enjoy His mercy...even if some of the doctrines are not correct.

(March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: So Varun goes to heaven. But an atheist who is active in his community, walks the neighbor's dogs for them, has an honest job, works hard, donates to charity, hosts soup lines for the homeless, and raises a nice family is going to Hell?
Yes, he will. Because his motivations focus entirely on the world and have no spiritual content.

(March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Can't wait for the rapist who asks for forgiveness go to Heaven though, that sounds like fun.
It doesn't really work that way.
(March 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: It doesn't really work that way.

Of course it does.

1. Commit a crime.
2. Ask Jesus/God for forgiveness and promise to never do it again.
3. Die and go to heaven.
4. Repeat one and two as often as you want.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: So Varun goes to heaven. But an atheist who is active in his community, walks the neighbor's dogs for them, has an honest job, works hard, donates to charity, hosts soup lines for the homeless, and raises a nice family is going to Hell?
Yes, he will. Because his motivations focus entirely on the world and have no spiritual content.

You know what, good. I hope there are more people in the world like the atheist I described. Christians with their heads in the clouds doing nothing to improve everyday life are wastes. The people who work to make this world better, they're the true heroes of the current generation. They should be the ones who are rewarded. But no, the nice rich Catholic family who attends Church every Sunday and couldn't give a shit about the rest of the world, they're rewarded because their motives are spiritual.

I sincerely hope every person becomes an atheist like the one I described. We may go to Hell, but we know we made the true world, in our one life, a better place.

(March 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm)ThomM Wrote: To define the word "Blasphemy" -= you need to prove a god exists to do it ti
ANd no one has

SO the word is actually meaningless

No, that is not true, you can just respect things that other people respect because you are a decent person.

(March 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I sincerely hope every person becomes an atheist like the one I described. We may go to Hell, but we know we made the true world, in our one life, a better place.

How do you know which things are good? People go to hell not because they are good, but because they are evil. How do you know what you are doing is good?

(March 26, 2013 at 7:37 pm)Mr Infidel Wrote:
(March 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: It doesn't really work that way.

Of course it does.

1. Commit a crime.
2. Ask Jesus/God for forgiveness and promise to never do it again.
3. Die and go to heaven.
4. Repeat one and two as often as you want.

because of their unbelief, they were broken off, but you stand by faith. therefore, do not be haughty, but fear Romans

Not true, God punishes people that sin and you can lose your salvation. Read Hebrews.
(March 26, 2013 at 10:36 pm)jstrodel Wrote: No, that is not true, you can just respect things that other people respect because you are a decent person.

Nazis respect Hitler. Therefore...
Not that being religious is comparable to Nazism, or anything, just following this line of logic to the end. It isn't like people don't disrespect atheism all the time (though there isn't any particular figure to disrespect, per se).

I just try not to let things get to me (and they usually don't). Though there are some blasphemies I find to be kind of stupid, like:

(March 26, 2013 at 10:36 pm)jstrodel Wrote: How do you know which things are good? People go to hell not because they are good, but because they are evil. How do you know what you are doing is good?

Not true, God punishes people that sin and you can lose your salvation. Read Hebrews.

Sin =/= bad things. It only means things your god is said to not approve of. You yourself said that evil was simply whatever god didn't like.
This is the very definition of subjective morality, and for which no evidence beyond opinion has been applied.
(March 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
(March 24, 2013 at 8:16 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Actually, no. Varun, if she is pious and believes the tenants of here religion out of love, will enjoy Heaven.

Why is that? Islam is much different than Christianity; hell, the Quoran says right off the bat that if you're not a Muslim you ain't getting to heaven. But of course, Christianity is true, right? No reason for it to be, it just is. Islam is wrong, but it's okay, God's a nice guy, he'll spare them.

Let's say your post made sense in any way. So Varun goes to heaven. But an atheist who is active in his community, walks the neighbor's dogs for them, has an honest job, works hard, donates to charity, hosts soup lines for the homeless, and raises a nice family is going to Hell?

You and your God is pathetic. Thank God he doesn't exist, he might send me to Hell for saying that. Can't wait for the rapist who asks for forgiveness go to Heaven though, that sounds like fun.

Atheists when they try to be good people, are faced with the reality that there is no standard of how to be a good person, so they must make one up. God will judge people according to their works. I don't think there are many atheists that will receive God's mercy, because God judges people by their works (see revelation) and atheism, as a belief system that is inherently nihilistic (regardless of what atheists say they believe ethically) is next to impossible to apply spiritually.

Atheists also do considerable damage to people perception of religious claims. I used to be an atheist, and I was hostile to others religion. When I became a Christian, I assumed that it was ok to challenge others religious convictions, since they could advance their own claims. God judged me severely, and I am still being judged, because of the seed of atheism, nihilism and anarchy I had sown into others lives. I told them essentially with my "intellectual doubts" that they could do whatever they want. I sold them into slavery into their lusts and flesh.

One person that I talked to about atheism was at one time a devout Christian, very self disciplined, cared about others, had a serious moral compass guiding him. Now, he is an atheist, drinks, parties, doesn't care that he is arrogant, is very condescending and doesn't seem to show any responsibility to others.

Atheism severely impacts peoples character. Atheists are typically ok with insulting and ridiculing people, with being unkind, with being haughty, with telling lies intentionally and they are quick to excuse foolish behavior, hedonism, errors, sexual perversion, etc.

It is a very serious thing to tell people there is no right way to live. Many people whom you share this with will carry it the rest of their life. The choice to accept or reject God is the most important decision people will make.

If you cannot accept everything that I am saying, at least accept this: "when you advocate atheism, you are not only advocating atheism, you are advocating everything that atheism implies, moral relativism, nihilism, the possibility that almost any end will be chosen as the highest one, a rejection of everything the Christian church has in the way of counseling families and informing the raising of children, and the children that follow them".

To be an atheist and advocate atheism is to intentionally aim to change all these aspects of behavior that cut to the heart of what it means to be human. All atheists that seek to advance atheism should wrestle with this, like I said, I used to think that people had free speech rights so they can say what they want so I didn't feel any problem with advocating atheism.

Well, people may have free speech rights legally, but when you advocate atheism you are effecting not only the atheists who follow you but the people they encounter, the people they will supervise at work, the children they have, the spouses, other people that are effected.

It is a serious thing. God will remember each thing that is done by the seed that you sow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90570 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1512 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10817 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 23331 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14890 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5317 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 7033 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6487 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8383 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13592 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr