Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Inerrancy - mandatory to be Christian?
Biblical Inerrancy - mandatory to be Christian?
Is biblical inerrancy a mandatory component of christianity? Are there any major christian sects that do not believe the bible to be 100% true?
"Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree."
"The Bible: Because all the wonders of science can’t equal the wisdom of cattle sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah’s house."
RE: Biblical Inerrancy - mandatory to be Christian?
No. But I adhere to a very minor Christian sect. That said there are many different definitions of 'biblical inerrancy', not all of which require a strictly literal interpretation that reads the bible like a science book. One of these is that the bible does not err in matters of faith and practice. That alone provides quite a bit of wiggle room.
LOL< loving it, "new and improved innerrancy - now with more wiggle room!" You do realize that anything that requires any wiggling whatsoever is, technically, in error, do you not? The very word error has it's roots in "to wander, to stray".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I do not think the Bible requires innerancy. Innerancy was a concept that developed in the 19th century in the debates between conservative theologians and liberalism. It is sort of a way to stake out the authority of the Bible in a specific way.

In the Bible itself, people quote the Septuagint as scripture, which suggests that the authors of scripture did not necessarily have a great concern to represent the original manuscripts down to every last detail being correct. When you also consider that God did not preserve the original manuscripts, it adds further weight.

The way that Jesus uses scripture, well, Jesus takes the Bible very seriously but he substantially reinterprets it. He says that all the scripture will be fulfilled in him and not one jot or tittle will pass away, but he substantially reinterprets the Bible.

Many Protestants do not accept the concept of innerancy. I believe that the Bible is a human and divine product. God regularly speaks to me when I read the Bible, verses pop out which are often confirmed as prophetic words by people in church or elsewhere. I know that it is inspired and 2 Ti 3:16 is true. At the same time I feel that God has given me peace through speaking to me about Genesis and it being absolutely literal in every detail (which I do not believe).

Read the Bible and take it seriously. I wouldn't worry about trying to prove every single detail of it, it is thousands of years old. Don't let that dissuade you from realizing its authority though as there is thousands of years of tradition and interpretation behind it.

(March 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm)Rhythm Wrote: LOL< loving it, "new and improved innerrancy - now with more wiggle room!" You do realize that anything that requires any wiggling whatsoever is, technically, in error, do you not? The very word error has it's roots in "to wander, to stray".

Spoken like a true intellectual, defining detailed systematic philosophical concepts that are extremely controversial by appealing to a dictionary definition (probably not even a dictionary designed for such a purpose either).

We should give you a gold star and crown you "critical thinker of the month"
I'm sorry that your "inerrancy" might allow for error, that's unfortunate. I had no part in that though, so how it would reflect poorly (or in any way) upon me is a mystery.

Did you have something to say?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't hold to innerancy.
I'd applaud you if that wasn't simply the sane position to hold. Congratulations for having a functioning brain in your head.
Ahhhh, but do you believe your interpretations are inerrant?
Still it is true that all this "old time religion" horseshit does not go back much further than the late 19th century.
(March 18, 2013 at 11:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Still it is true that all this "old time religion" horseshit does not go back much further than the late 19th century.

People have been reading scripture for thousands of years but yes, the doctrine of innerancy is relatively recent, from the debates between fundamentalism and liberalism.

(March 18, 2013 at 10:57 pm)catfish Wrote: Ahhhh, but do you believe your interpretations are inerrant?

No, but they do not need to be to be authoritative. Some things are certain, other things are difficult. Same as it is with everything else in life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87869 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1445 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10615 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22159 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14526 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5111 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6679 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6278 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8234 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pagan influences on the biblical stories of Jesus' life Panatheist 53 13179 April 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr