Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you know God isn't dead?
RE: How do you know God isn't dead?
(May 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(May 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Explaining evolution to a creationist is like explain calculus to someone who failed high school algebra. What a waste of time. Someone should have the decency to nix this thread.

It’s pretty tough to explain something that is utterly incoherent, but I have no problem with them trying. A lot of creationists are former evolutionists by the way, and I am sure you would not have been personally insulting their intelligence while they believed what you believe, funny how that works. Tongue

When someone writes this:
Quote:"I find it very hard to believe that a member of one species can mate with the member of another species since species are defined (biological concept definition) as groups of animals that cannot produce fertile offspring. What gave birth to the first Human though and why was that animal not also Human? Thanks for the response!"

He is beyond redemption.
(May 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm)little_monkey Wrote: He is beyond redemption.

Learn how to define a species please.
(May 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:

I would suggest to you, politely, that you enroll into a biology program at a renown university -- Harvard, Columbia, to name a few -- get yourself a BSc, then go for a PhD if you're that smart. And when you have published a dozen articles in peer-review journals, then we'll talk. As it is now, I won't waste my time.

Have a nice life.
A liar called me liar, and then lied some more. LOL.

Funny how all the most damning evidence is immediately "false" or "misinterpreted".

You want to stay living a lie, you need only live by one fundamental rule:

Never give the truth any footing.

The trick is just believing whatever you want to and disregarding facts.
[Image: earthp.jpg]
(May 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Explaining evolution to a creationist is like explain calculus to someone who failed high school algebra. What a waste of time.

Paraphrasing The Amazing Atheist: "Explaining evolution to a creationist is like throwing boloney at a tank. Wasted effort! Plus you lost boloney."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Learn how to define a species please.

Someone clearly hasn't heard of a hybrid, if he's still sticking to that fucking story...
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:

Oh yes, let us define a species.

Who was the mother of Enos?
(May 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(May 22, 2013 at 10:53 am)pocaracas Wrote: Didn't I link you something about layers of non-sedimentary rock in between which enable a more accurate dating by imposing both upper and lower bounds? Maybe it's a bit further down....

No you did, and I did read it, but since they have no empirically verifiable control for their radiometric dating system I do not feel any obligation to accept its results.
So you think that a radiometric dating system is faulty at its core?
Or do you just think that the radioactive decay of a given long lived nucleus doesn't follow the same sort of rule as a short lived nucleus? This would lead you to accept carbon dating, but not uranium dating.

An alternative method for dating rock is using plate tectonics and the measurable rate at which continents are drifting apart... of course, assuming they've been drifting at a constant pace (will you claim that they drifted much much faster at the start so to make it seem as if they took millions of years to drift at a constant velocity?).
Plate tectonics also helps to account for the finding of similar fossils in continents now separated by oceans... and they have all been radiometrically dated in such a way that is consistent with constant tectonic drift.

Quote:
For someone who seems so against storytelling, you sure believe in a tall tale.

Not at all, the common creator inference is very applicable in many branches of science, there’s no rule that it cannot be applied in Biology.
"inference"... yes, you keep changing the name of it to convince yourself that others do assumptions and you don't... -.-'

Quote:
First off, the moon... where did you hear such ludicrous number?
Here's a more credible source:http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=373
The moon was indeed touching the Earth about 4 billion years ago. In fact, Earth and Moon were formed from a collision of a Mars-size planet (proto-Moon) and a Venus-size planet (proto-Earth).

No, I am sorry that just doesn’t work out.

1. Due to tidal friction slowing the Earth’s rotation, the Moon is receding away from the Earth at a rate of nearly 4 cm a year (according to NASA). Due to angular momentum this rate recession has been decelerating meaning the Moon’s recession would have been far greater in the past. Even if this rate were constant the Moon would have been touching the Earth 1.37 billion years ago, not 4 billion years ago. The laws of physics makes this problem very clear cut.
ok, I admit I kind of doubted my sanity a bit with that one...
But your model does not account for ice ages, where all the water is locked and that mechanism doesn't exist, thus bringing the moon a bit closer.
Now, how many ice ages has the planet seen? How often?

But radiometric methods yield the same age for the moon and Earth. Consistency is good.

(May 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: 2. The Giant Impact hypothesis has some rather fatal flaws, including the fact that the Moon’s iron content is not consistent with being created by an impact, the mass of the impacting object required is far too great (the resulting debris must escape the Earth’s Roche Limit in order to to coalesce and form the Moon), the absence of rings formed by the debris that landed within the Roche Limit, and the absence of any magma lake created by the impact.
The link I gave you provided a collision of a mars sized rock with a venus sized one... That's looks pretty large. And don't forget, at this time, these rocks are still quite hot and malleable... think Earth's core, lava.
The debris must not have gone that far out and was attracted to both resulting bodies.

(May 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: So you have a dating method suggesting the Moon is three times older than we know it could be.
Methinks your method has some shortcomings that need addressing.

Quote:
How? Knowing the rate at which the fusion reaction occurs, calculating that, at the start you have the whole sun composed of hydrogen nuclei, use some mass spectroscopy to figure out how much of hydrogen and helium you have in the sun now and bam.... an age of about 5 billion years comes out... Now if only we could repeat this for other stars?... well we can? please do it! Ah, but it's only valid for stars close enough, because other galaxies are moving away, and we get some red shift and we'd also need to account for the time that their light took to reach us... well, astrophysicists haven't been idle, so they gave us those numbers and place the oldest visible stars at some 13~14 billion years old. Rendering our sun a second generation star, which it would have to be, if it was to have rocky planets around it. This means that the star that blew up and provided our sun with it's fuel lasted for less than 8 billion years...

So many assumptions my friend; however, that’s not what I meant by empirically verifiable controls, what I meant was accurately dating rocks of empirically known age. Empirical Science requires direct observation and repeatability. You have none with radiometric dating, it’s all extrapolation based off of assumptions.
Assumptions?
QM tells us the rate of fusion reactions.
Mass spectrometry tells us how much of each element the Sun has.
Plug one into the other and voilá. I don't see assumptions.

For rock datings... yeah.. I already mentioned plate tectonics.
And radioactive decay is quite accurate.... also coming from QM.

Quote: There you have a picture of the (old) universe.... and our sun at 5 billion years...

That assumes that the one way speed of light is the same as the round trip speed of light divided by 2, that’s not a testable assumption, although I am not sure I want to open up that can of worms in this thread. Tongue

What 2 way!?
Only one way required for spectrometry.... -.-'

Quote: 3.5 billion for the first life forms to leave fossils.

How did the first life form? Magic?
I don't know.
Are you going to tell me I should accept some storytelling book written in the neolithic?

Quote: So yeah... the (old Earth) picture is confirmed by other dating methods. Not just radiometric dating. Now tell me how they're all wrong... -.-'
Well, all of them conveniently sneak in untestable assumptions and are not based upon anything empirically verifiable.
At least they are consistent among themselves.
And (at least) two consistent independent measurements of the same thing, sure hint at an accurate measurement by both.

Quote:
I think carbon dating is a very competent dating mechanism.
It has it's limits, just like any other mechanism. SO we need to be aware of such limits when analyzing any sample.

What limits are those? When it conflicts with radiometric dating? Tongue
Carbon dating IS radiometric dating...
Get your facts straight!

Quote:
would you?

Most likely, I am very proficient in the woods. Tongue
Who said anything about woods? BUHAHAHAHAHAH!

Quote:
I didn't want to bring this up just yet, but you leave me no choice...

Uh oh….Smile
I can smell the piss...

Quote: Dinosaurs. There are fossils of them... some are damn good. All are dated to between 230 and 65 million years ago.

Except the ones that have soft tissue and DNA since those cannot survive for more than 4 million years, right?
oh, soft tissue in dinos? dino DNA?... what is this, jurassic park?
Here, read about those "soft tissues": http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...osaur.html

Quote: If all species were created at the same time by a single creator, then it stands to reason that dinos and humans walked the earth side by side.... Can you imagine it, T-Rex Vs human settlement?.. oh the horror... I don't think dinos would be extinct, but rather humans...

Not all species were created at the same time, but all of the major kinds of animals were. But yes Humans and Dinosaurs would have coexisted, I see no issue with that, there are numerous animals we coexist with today that are dangerous to Humans (Grizzlies).
Oh, a new insight into creation... not all at the same time... Where did you get this info?

Look at the evolutionary idea: apes evolve in the safety of trees, as it becomes safer to walk the land, they descend and get nimble at walking up straight, because, at that particular geographic location, there are very few, if any, predators.
Story-telling at it's finest.... dinos and humans...

Quote: So yes, I think humans came well after dinos. Heck, most mammals wouldn't be able to survive dinos' thick coating, large size, extreme power... just wouldn't be possible.

I think you overestimate how dangerous Dinosaurs would have been, many scientists today question whether T-Rex (who was most likely a scavenger) could have even run because of his body proportions, there’s a reason they went extinct.
It wasn't just the large ones that went extinct, so the reason must have been deeper than that.

Quote:
How do humans appear with an extra chromosome? I guess a similar mechanism could already be in place on simple organisms, no?... as I've said before, I'm no biologist, so I have no idea how many chromosomes are required for a sexual species.

Well when Humans appear with an extra chromosome it seriously jacks the system all up, I am not aware of any observed cases where it doesn’t make the organism incredibly unfit for survival.
I'm not aware of any cases where it happens in other species, so there... I don't know.

Quote:
3-5% per generation?
Are you seriously considering this?
10 generations and you could get 50% degeneration..... 20 generations and total chaos... Tell me, do you accept that humans existed 20 generation ago?... That's about (1 generation every 30 years [high estimate, I know]) ~600 years ago!

No that’s not quite how the percentages work; Humans have been around for fewer than 250 generations which is fine given the rates of genetic entropy, it’s doubtful they’d last another 250 generations though.

The 3-5% rate is taken from the following study though…

Crow’s “The high spontaneous mutation rate: Is it a health risk?” published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences number 94
Interesting paper...
Didn't read the whole thing, but I did read some particular bits:
- mutations arise primarily from the father zygote, given that the father produces millions of sperm per day, the odds of some error are greater than on the mother's side, who produced all the zygotes before birth... this checks out with something I read recently that stated that there are more autistic kids from older fathers than from younger ones. IF you're over 35, you have a higher tendency to produce an autistic child than if you're 20.
- Deleterious mutations are removed from the population in about 80 generations.
- On the other hand, there's this gem "In [...] people, recessive mutations may persist for thousands of generations. "

Thousands of generations.... and yet you claimed that "Humans have been around for fewer than 250 generations "... Another piece of your story that doesn't add up. Care to produce some evidence for this 250 number?
Or should I just take your word for it?

Quote:
I know this was for Rythm, but heck... I'll have a go at postulating some crap.

Postulate away…Wink
I like postulating... it's like assuming, but it's a fancier word.
But I'm very bad at making stuff up....

Quote: From homo habilis, to homo sapiens, the selective pressures must have been many, but it seems that the ability to make better tools to solve the hunting problem a bit faster, the ability to work in teams to solve the same problem, the ability to feed the family, the ability to simplify the family's life would be desirable traits which required an ever expanding dexterity, and problem solving ability, for as you become an expert hunter, so do prey develop tricks to evade you. Farming and cattle raising ended all that.. some 10~20 thousands of years ago.

Sure, that’s possible, but why are we assuming the cognition needed to do those things is the same that is needed to derive or integrate an equation?
Why would it not be? This was my postulation, I get to make up the rules! Tongue

Quote:
For someone who dismisses storytelling with such ease.... I find it strange that you accept so strongly a story told to you by other people.... the god myth, the yahweh one, in particular, the christian version.... which denomination was it that you followed?

I reject storytelling masquerading as empirical science, that’s why I am so hard on Darwinism. I have logical reasons as to why I believe scripture is infallible; I have no such reasons to believe in Darwinism.
I have logical reasons to assume any scripture is man-made and, as such, fallible.
I have logical reasons to give credence to the theory of evolution, in spite of it being fallible.

Both can be viewed as storytelling, but one is based on actual empirical (since you like that word) findings... the other, on myth.
And myth... well, there are many mythologies... yours is just one more.

(May 22, 2013 at 6:44 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I don't enjoy seeing a grown man refusing a story backed by science, but then following some other story backed by.... nothing?wishful thinking?indoctrination?

Stories about dinosaurs turning into birds, Helium into other elements, and life arising from non-life are not science to me, it’s all mythology. I have logical reasons for believing what I believe.
The mechanism which generated life still eludes science, so any such mechanism you do hear about is storytelling, hypothesizing.
Which hypothesis is correct... we'll see when we see. Until then, the best course of action is not assume anything.

Concerning the evolution of dinosaurs int o birds... it took quite a lot of time for that to happen and it is based on feather-like imprints found in some fossils, so there's some reason to that.

Turning helium into other (heavier) elements is something known as Nuclear Fusion, which opposes nuclear fission, whereby the nucleus would be torn apart resulting in lighter elements.
I believe you've heard of nuclear power plants, no?... they operate on the fission principle.
You've heard of Little Boy? That one used fusion, of hydrogen into helium... that's why it was called a hydrogen bomb.
Nuclear fusion and fission are real processes that affect our daily lives, one way or another. They are not myths.
I pity your logic that dismisses reality in favor of a story written some 2 thousand years ago by people who knew no better.

Quote: But it seems you missed what I wrote, maybe you thought I was only quoting you in that hide tag... Tongue

Yup, I totally missed your response in there, good catch. I was wondering why you appeared to ignore everything I wrote. Smile

hehe, when I decide to ignore what you write, I'll say something like: "That was utter BS which warrants no reply whatsoever. Lay off the kool aid."

Well, you could start laying off it... Tongue

Quote:
You’re the one who believes that Evolution occurs independently of selective pressures, no Evolutionist worth his salt is going to assert that. It’s obvious that you do not understand Evolution or Creation well enough to engage in any meaningful discourse on the subject.
Mutations occur. If you'd like to take issue with that be my guest. Selective neutrality is well understood, if you'd like to take issue with that be my guest.

Quote:
I never said that it was, please stop misrepresenting my argument.
Perhaps you didn't realize that the way in which you phrased your question regarding human development left nothing else to be implied. If you don't like the implications of your own argument - then stop pressing it- or own it, your call.

Quote:More misrepresentation of my position. The ability to fly would not have been preserved in a population unless there was a selective pressure (predation) present that weeded out those organisms in the population that did not develop that ability (most likely by mutation).
Mutation itself is not a selective pressure unless it is deleterious. A beneficial mutation cannot be classified as such without reference -to- a selective pressure, and a selectively neutral mutation is a non-starter in this particular point of ignorance.

Quote:Since there is no selective pressure that could weed out Humans that did not have the ability to do calculus thousands of years before there was a need to do calculus it is ridiculous to believe that the entire Human race developed that ability and passed it on for thousands of years before there was a need for it.
Isn't it amusing, that directly after claiming that I've misrepresented your argument you just so happen to be reforming it precisely along those lines in which you made the mistake in the first place. Unfortunately you can't seem to abandon it - and so you've fucked it up again for the same reason that you fucked it up the first time.

Again. We possess mutations which are not "weeded out" because they are selectively neutral. So any question of "why would we have this before we have a need for it" is a non-starter on these grounds alone. Evolution does not respond to needs, it does not respond to top down directives- it lacks this ability as mechanism.

Again, in the case of our ability to do calc, we see -several- pressures, not just one, several - and they go a bit farther back than HSS. Not only is your question DOA in principle it is DOA in practice.

If you could please explain why I have failed to competently communicate this to you after several attempts, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
Natural selection is still required in order for these mutations to become fixed in a population.
Tell me, Statler, how natural selection is required - or could even act..on a mutation that is -wait for it- ........selectively neutral?

Take your time, you'll need it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 23, 2013 at 4:43 am)cato123 Wrote:
(May 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Learn how to define a species please.

Oh yes, let us define a species.

Who was the mother of Enos?
He's not gonna submit to taxonomies, his use of the word "logic" really means "anything already aligning with my already constructed beliefs".

Besides, he's never ever gonna take into account a non-canonical text (here: Book of Jubilees) unless he wants to introduce the reality of the content of non-canonical books, because that would introduce the possibility of what stood in all those manuscripts, of which only 4 were added to NT.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps...+Enos&fp=1
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do they know when God is angry? Fake Messiah 94 6983 December 24, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11046 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 11678 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2959 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 807 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 56865 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4550 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 9232 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real henryp 95 13909 July 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 16373 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue