Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you know God isn't dead?
RE: How do you know God isn't dead?
(May 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Would you care to elaborate on why you feel this to be a valid objection?

Of course it’s a valid objection, if you’re assumptions are not verifiable and are faulty there’s no reason to hold confidence in the accuracy of the method that depends upon the merits of these assumptions.
Are you saying that just assumptions should be verifiable? If so, how might one confirm an assumption?
Another long post in which you have completely failed to understand the concept of a selectively neutral mutation - having a conversation in your head with some less informed person you are capable of arguing with- and added "nu-uhs" when confronted with observations that leave you no room to wiggle.

Pointless Stat. I probably would have responded in kind except that there's nothing in your recent post that hasn't already been answered in the previous posts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Are you saying that just assumptions should be verifiable? If so, how might one confirm an assumption?

Now this is ironic, the self-proclaimed verificationist is now defending the merits of a dating method that is founded upon unverifiable assumptions. Whether an assumption is verifiable or not is largely dependent upon what sort of assumption we are dealing with. Basing your entire view of the history of the Earth on methods that are founded upon unverifiable assumptions and assumptions that appear to be downright false is not rational.

(May 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Another long post in which you have completely failed to understand the concept of a selectively neutral mutation - having a conversation in your head with some less informed person you are capable of arguing with- and added "nu-uhs" when confronted with observations that leave you no room to wiggle.

There are not enough trials in order to fix neutral mutations in a population through genetic drift, argue for the impossible all you want but it doesn’t make it anymore possible. Trust me Rhythm, my mental concept of your knowledge definitely errors on the side of you knowing more than you do in reality; I am a rather gracious person when it comes to that sort of thing.

Quote: Pointless Stat. I probably would have responded in kind except that there's nothing in your recent post that hasn't already been answered in the previous posts.

This excuse carries the foul stench of all being rather too convenient for you.Tongue
How do you know God isn't dead?

Yep, it's hard to kill a fictional character.
(May 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: There are not enough trials in order to fix neutral mutations in a population through genetic drift, argue for the impossible all you want but it doesn’t make it anymore possible.
Again you fail to comprehend selective neutrality. For something to be selectively neutral - any conception of a "trial" loses all meaning. A selectively neutral mutation is happenstance Stat, nothing more and nothing less. Nothing acts upon it because there is no way for any action to be directed at it or at it's behest. It's not an issue of possibility, no ones arguing that selectively neutral mutations are possible - I'm simply explaining to you - very blunty, that they exist. If this were the only concept which you failed to comprehend - it would be difficult to see how you could understand evolutionary theory at all - this single omission colors every response in your posts. You need to get that handled man.

Quote: Trust me Rhythm, my mental concept of your knowledge definitely errors on the side of you knowing more than you do in reality; I am a rather gracious person when it comes to that sort of thing.
Clearly not, because you're running an AIG playbook here and it's fucking insulting.

Quote:
This excuse carries the foul stench of all being rather too convenient for you.Tongue
You've got me dead to rights. It -is- very convenient for me. You see, I have other things to do. I took time out of my day to help you t understand this thing you feel compelled to argue against - at the very least, if you incorporated an accurate appraisal of evolutionary biology you would be a more competent dissenter. You seem to be entirely uninterested, and in kind, I've become uninterested.

If you have some specific gripe that you can clearly and succinctly articulate, I probably wont be able top help myself. But the vast and, in my opinion, -intentional- misrepresentations thusfar are just too much of a pain in the ass for me to address bud.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 30, 2013 at 9:21 pm)Rhythm Wrote: you're running an AIG playbook here and it's fucking insulting.
Creationism usually is, isn't it?
Nah, there's more than one kind. It's a bit amusing in that regard - like having clubs for people who like separate flavors of ice-cream that don't exist.
(May 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Now this is ironic, the self-proclaimed verificationist is now defending the merits of a dating method that is founded upon unverifiable assumptions. Whether an assumption is verifiable or not is largely dependent upon what sort of assumption we are dealing with. Basing your entire view of the history of the Earth on methods that are founded upon unverifiable assumptions and assumptions that appear to be downright false is not rational.

I'm not defending anything. I just asked you a question. You anticipating my stance toward anything outside the subject matter of my question is an assumption, and my opinion of it hasn't been stated. I asked YOU if assumptions are all that should be verifiable, and if so, I asked YOU, how an assumption could be confirmed. You did not answer either of these questions. Is there a reason why?
(May 30, 2013 at 5:50 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: That took a while...
Damn, man... I need to copy this over to notepad++ so I can make sense of it!
Hiding it all, so the forum remains a bit clean...

TLDR version: The creationist is at it again. Science presents several independent methods for dating a rock. Where the methods' domains overlap, they have quite good agreement, thus increasing our confidence on each of the methods. However, the creationist dismisses them due to some assumption that has to be made in all of them, and in all of them the assumption has to be wrong, because it contradicts the creationist's book. Independent erroneous assumptions about completely different physical principles, yielding the same results, is the same as saying that the laws of physics must have been different in the past. So I hear the creationist saying that the Universe has been changing its laws in such a way that science cannot grasp... in such a way as to make science consistently arrive at the wrong results... all this, because a specific people a few thousands of years ago MUST, obviously, have gotten word from the creator itself, and wrote a book where they detailed the whole account.
Thus the creationist dismisses consistent independently corroborated assumptions, while retaining the fully unsupported assumption that those people wrote reality.
Talk about intellectual dishonesty!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do they know when God is angry? Fake Messiah 94 9269 December 24, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 14983 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 13680 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Silver 19 3214 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 864 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Isn't it funny... pabsta 189 60966 August 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4796 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 10066 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real henryp 95 15693 July 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 20663 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue