Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 1:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
(August 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: If something begins to exist then something caused it to exist.

What caused your god to begin to exist?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(August 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Do you understand now? Your argument might as well just show that "stuff exists, and used to be other stuff" QED. You are missing your point by a LONG shot.

It's just a simple deduction of logic. If something begins to exist then something caused it to exist. If something didn't cause it to exist then it wouldn't have begun to exist. We know everything that exists, that didn't always exist, must have been made by something else that exists. The universe we know for a fact had a beginning with the BB therefore it is something that began to exist. This is just factually what we know.

Chicken
Egg
omelette

Baseball player
Ball, Bat, Park
Homerun

Daddy and Mommy
Sperm and seed
Baby

Carpenter
Wood
Table

God
(blank)
Universe

Do you understand? Ignoring it won't make it go away.
(August 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: 1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause

2) The universe began to exist

Science / physics quiz time!

What causes virtual particles to exist?

Prior to one unit of Planck time after the big bang, what do we know about the state of the universe?
(August 26, 2013 at 11:59 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: Secondly, I have already told you, that given the evidence in favor of abiogenesis producing amino acids which are the building blocks of life, and the lack of evidence in favor of a magical appearance from dust, I find the former to be much more believable. That being said, I don't have enough knowledge to say that one or the other are absolutely true.

You understand that people can hold things as true in any number of varying degrees of certainty, right?

...and I believe we all identify ourselves with a certain channel of information that presents itself in consciousness. I believe that consciousness exists in the mind. I believe the mind to be material because there is no evidence for an alternative. In the light of all of this...When the physical material body dies (brain included), the identity we prescribe to the consciousness it contains dies too. This seems believable given the evidence.

I am not asking you if you are absolutely certain about your views. Nor am I asking you to comment on whether or not you think your views are absolutely true.

All I am asking is what do you believe is the more plausible explanation for our origination.

You attribute it to abiogenesis or life arising from non-living organic compounds whose molecules contained carbon.

Life from non living matter.....

Ok, now moving on let me ask you to confirm that you believe that what most people have traditionally referred to as the "mind" is simply a word that refers to the various chemical reactions that occur within the brain and that the concept is reducible in purely materialistic terms.

Is this correct?
Carpenter
Wood
Table

God
Creation of the physical laws
Universe

God creates the physical laws but isn't himself part of the physical laws he created. Likewise the carpenter doesn't exist as the wood he carved into a table.

(August 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Science / physics quiz time!

Prior to one unit of Planck time after the big bang, what do we know about the state of the universe?

God created whatever laws of physics you're talking about from nothing. Science and what we know of the universe is limited to studying the physical laws God made and is therefore irrelevant to this.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(August 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(August 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: 1) Everything that begins to exist has a cause

2) The universe began to exist

Science / physics quiz time!

If you would like to debate the Kalam with me, I would be glad to.
(August 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(August 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: Do you understand now? Your argument might as well just show that "stuff exists, and used to be other stuff" QED. You are missing your point by a LONG shot.

It's just a simple deduction of logic. If something begins to exist then something caused it to exist. If something didn't cause it to exist then it wouldn't have begun to exist. We know everything that exists, that didn't always exist, must have been made by something else that exists. The universe we know for a fact had a beginning with the BB therefore it is something that began to exist. This is just factually what we know.

ok, let's try this.

What is the meaning of "Object A exists before time exists" ?

Cause and effect cannot be applied so linearly to the Universe's origin.
Some claim that space and time began with the big bang. There is no "before" the big bang.

Now, for something completely different.

Some 50 thousand years ago, when mankind first thought about the wonders of the cosmos and arrived at "the only logical answer" of goddidit... what did these people know of the Universe that would have them arrive at such a conclusion?
As far as I'm aware, they had no notion of the expansion of the Universe, hence no idea of a big bang, and so knew nothing of the beginning of the Universe. How did they do it?
(August 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Homo sapiens originated from a common ancestor we share with other primates.

How did this common ancestor originate and from what/who?
Quote:If the universe wasn't fined tuned then my car was made by a tornado running through a junkyard, it just happened to come together the way it did, created by the physical laws of nature it was. Before you bring up evolution that was entirely dependent on the laws of nature being what they were to begin with and that is what I'm referring to.

Ever heard of anthropomorphism? If the universe was any other way, you probably wouldn't be here to be making these nonsensical assertions.. that does NOT imply a creator, just that this is how it is and very likely the only way it can be!
(August 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm)discipulus Wrote: Ok, now moving on let me ask you to confirm that you believe that what most people have traditionally referred to as the "mind" is simply a word that refers to the various chemical reactions that occur within the brain and that the concept is reducible in purely materialistic terms.

Is this correct?

What you've just done is attempted to switch the burden of proof. If I tell you there's a new kind of gravity, it's not on you to prove that yours is the only one.

If all we know is material, then it follows that the brain, a physical entity, is completely bound by the laws of nature, and therein material itself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10221 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2873 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33869 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42727 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 18031 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 84420 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3669 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1448 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10381 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1198 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus